U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 08:24 AM

606 posts, read 1,512,192 times

Advertisements

I'm getting ready to move to a new apartment and the kitchen/living room area has hardwood floors. I thought it might be a good idea to buy some sort of area rug. A Persian rug might be about ideal --- something around 8' by 6' feet would be nice. However, I'm not looking to spend much money (especially since I may not be at this apartment for more than a year).

Anyone have any advice on finding a decent quality Persian rug on the cheap? Any local stores that anyone could recommend? Should I just go to a big-box store (e.g. Wal-Mart, Target)? Would Craig's List be the best option?

Thus far, I've browsed around on Craig's List, but I'm not seeing any evidence that these rugs are any cheaper than I might find in a store. But maybe I just don't have much understanding of quality and price when it comes to Persian rugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 09:15 AM

303 posts, read 806,881 times
Most true Persian rugs (i.e., imported from Iran) are handmade from wool and are not going to be cheap. You might find a very worn one in poor condition for under $1000. But if you just want a synthetic in a traditional pattern, you should be able to find one of those at a big box store on the cheap.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:18 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,539,474 times
I had really good luck at Home Goods. I found the quality to be a lot better than what I found at target/walmart, and for a good price. We got a 6x8 rug for $100 I think (they ran anywhere from $75 to $300ish for that size). Like the person above said though, these aren't authentic Persian rugs...they're just area rugs.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:49 AM

216 posts, read 558,551 times
Try Ikea

Old 05-17-2010, 10:15 AM

309 posts, read 736,642 times
Definitely go w/ a synthetic rug. Pottery Barn has some nice looking rugs and if you wait until they go on sale its not too bad. Homedecorators.com has sales all the time and a large selection/price

Old 05-17-2010, 11:57 AM

10,827 posts, read 26,295,297 times
I have even seen area rugs like that at Kohl's, in varied patterns, from traditionally-inspired to modern. They don't look bad at all, for the money, and are much less expensive than their silk and wool counterparts.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-17-2010, 01:11 PM

4,015 posts, read 4,815,199 times
also try www.overstock.com for rugs, and Tuesday Morning often has nice looking rugs at good prices.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:18 PM

3,315 posts, read 8,758,913 times
Synthetic rugs are sealed with some kind of chemical that makes me sick. I only buy wool or cotton area and throw rugs. I found a great wool runner at Tuesday Morning. But the rest I've purchased at auctions and estate sales. I've been lucky finding some in excellent condition and also Made in the USA.

I also don't buy the rubber-backed rugs either unless it's for the bathroom or some skid-proof-needed area. They just don't last that long.

Persian carpets will be pricey. Even the lower-grade ones (lower quality wool, dyes, techniques) will cost you but some are quite attractive.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:03 PM

81 posts, read 211,782 times
IKEA used to have quality (authentic) Persian rugs ca. 2003-2005. I bought a bunch of them there. However, in recent years the selection has not been good. I haven't looked closely but I spotted a sparse selection and nothing from Iran. I don't know if this was a big success for IKEA. I paid $800 for one of the rugs, which seems pricey relative to their overall business model.

I am not sure if is due to sanctions or such nonsense. There was an embargo from 1987-2000 on rug imports from Iran, but not sure what has happened in recent years.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:40 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,679,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flrnova View Post
IKEA used to have quality (authentic) Persian rugs ca. 2003-2005. I bought a bunch of them there. However, in recent years the selection has not been good. I haven't looked closely but I spotted a sparse selection and nothing from Iran. I don't know if this was a big success for IKEA. I paid $800 for one of the rugs, which seems pricey relative to their overall business model.

I am not sure if is due to sanctions or such nonsense. There was an embargo from 1987-2000 on rug imports from Iran, but not sure what has happened in recent years.
Funny you mentioned that..I bought one at IKEA in The Netherlands, and was told that I needed to be careful when bringing it back to the US. Didn't have any problems though.

As a collector of handmade rugs...have too many to even put out, I would second the other recommendations. I found a handmade at Marshalls, and also at the Great Indoors (that sears store..don't think it is business anymore) You can find a nice machine (wool) made one for a lot less than handmade. And it won't kill you the first time you spill something. Don't be afraid to go to GOOD rug store and search through their piles. They might have some smaller ones they want to get rid of. And bargain on the price. Espcially if it a store run by a Turk or Iranian, etc. It is part of the culture. Try Eastern market as well. I got a great deal a couple years ago. A good handmade is worth the money..they are made to last, and to be walked on. If you are worried about it not working in the next place just don't get one that is too big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia