U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 10:05 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,853,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Actually the quintessential yuppie NOVA family has a luxury sports sedan (BMW, Benz, Lexus, etc) for dad and a giant SUV with youth sports (Soccer for the younger kids, Lacrosse for the olders), prestige school (TJ, St. Stephens, etc.), and fave vacation spot (Duck, OBX) stickers on the back for mom. You know this is true.
Yuppie is an outdated term. These folks are "bobos."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Um, don't you think that's a pretty broad generalization? NoVA is a much smaller area than the entire "West Coast." And I sincerely hope you don't mean the small towns on the Oregon coast. Or a place like Anacortes, WA. The last time I was in that general area, I saw a lot of pickups. (I've lived in a small town, though, so I know that there most definitely can be pickup snobbery.) And the natives absolutely hated the 'damn Californians' (even though there are plenty of very rural Californians - I'm not sure if these are the people they meant, though).
I did not write "West Coast states," I wrote "West Coast." I know the Pacific Northwest very well and considered, at one point, moving to Cannon Beach. You are right that there are pockets of old Pacific Northwest left in Oregon and parts of Washington state, but these are fast disappearing. The metro Portland and Seattle areas and their respective counties are becoming increasingly dominant in politics, popular culture and are becoming what determine the dominant mode of life. And the Pacific Northwest is the only place where I met radical environmentalists who loved their sports cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
I totally agree. Add foreign exotic travel, and you've nailed the area.
More like exotic foreign living. But that's also very bobo.

But, at this point, I must confess: I also love granite counters, I am over-educated, I lived overseas and, yes, I have a luxury sedan and a luxury SUV. However, my love of guns and my traditional religiosity disqualify me from bobo membership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 05:05 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,058,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post

More like exotic foreign living. But that's also very bobo.
Good point. At one point during our days in McLean, our kids were the only ones at the bus stop who had never lived overseas.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:17 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,926,426 times
We had a thread on that once. I believe it was called State Your States. It's impressive how many people on this forum have lived in different countries (not to mention all over the US).

The car I see in Nova more than any other is the Prius. IMO that's the quintessential Nova car. But I agree with the others that cars aren't really used as status symbols around here. Schools and how many degrees they've obtained are what the local snobs brag about.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:56 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,104,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
But I agree with the others that cars aren't really used as status symbols around here. Schools and how many degrees they've obtained are what the local snobs brag about.
There are status symbols and then there are "trying to fit in" symbols. The cars themselves would be the latter but the stickers on the back would be the former.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Yuppie is an outdated term. These folks are "bobos."
Have to disagree. Bobo stands for "bourgeois bohemian'. One tends to find them in places like New York, Boulder, and the Bay Area. Folks around here are way too conventional to fit into that category. Remember they generally work for the government where conventional thinking and behavior rule (plus you wouldn't want to jeopardize that security clearance).

Bobos smoke pot. NOVA yuppies drink pinot.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 06-30-2010 at 06:41 AM..

Old 06-30-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Schools and how many degrees they've obtained are what the local snobs brag about.
Would have to modify that to say it's the schools their kids attend that they brag about. Most of the folks around here went to very conventional schools (Penn State or Villanova) and dream of sending their kids to more prestigious ones. If they'd gone to an Ivy League they probably wouldn't be in NoVA working for the govt.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:33 AM

7,968 posts, read 18,093,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
My SO and I were just talking about this a few hours ago, actually. I said I couldn't really blame those NoVAns who've never really lived anywhere else for what I've sometimes assumed is aesthetic apathy, since they would have nothing to measure NoVA against.
Although I don't know the statistics, I'd say there's a significant number of current residents - perhaps even the majority - who did not grow up in this area. If so, they may have chosen functionality (including relative job stability) over aesthetics.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:35 AM

7,968 posts, read 18,093,146 times
Quote:
Would have to modify that to say it's the schools their kids attend that they brag about. Most of the folks around here went to very conventional schools (Penn State or Villanova) and dream of sending their kids to more prestigious ones. If they'd gone to an Ivy League they probably wouldn't be in NoVA working for the govt.
On the other hand, there could be some Ivy League/elite school grads working in the high-tech/defense industries here as well.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:39 AM

1,403 posts, read 1,853,947 times
Quote:
We had a thread on that once. I believe it was called State Your States. It's impressive how many people on this forum have lived in different countries (not to mention all over the US).
Guilty as charged.

Quote:
Have to disagree. Bobo stands for "bourgeois bohemian'. One tends to find them in places like New York, Boulder, and the Bay Area. Folks around here are way too conventional to fit into that category. Remember they generally work for the government where conventional thinking and behavior rule (plus you wouldn't want to jeopardize that security clearance).

Bobos smoke pot. NOVA yuppies drink pinot.
As usual, you are incorrect. Bobos do not just live in NY, Boulder and the Bay Area. Those people are simply hippies or hippie-wannabes (or just libertines). Bobos also do not do drugs. If you read David Brooks' book, you'd realize that bobos combine bohemian "tolerance" and "liberation" (they're "cool" with others who smoke pot) with bourgeois limitations and self-discipline (as David Brooks writes, bobos don't drink -- they drink expensive coffee and health drinks and work out a lot). Bobos now inhabit every suburb of the country -- Brooks claims that they are now the ubiquitous upper and upper-middle class of this country.

Quote:
That may be YOUR experience. NoVA is a huge consumer of those with Ivy League degrees (including my wife and me). I don't know where YOUR "around here" is, but we know a large number of people with degrees from top 20 schools in this region, and quite a few of them work for the government.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
On the other hand, there could be some Ivy League/elite school grads working in the high-tech/defense industries here as well.
Doubtful. Ivy league schools don't generate too many IT folks. Around here they usually come from the military, at the high levels often senior officers or officials with extensive Defense/government IT experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia