Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 01:30 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
The Young and Envious (see above) will tell you that it is, but aside from some pockets of the area, it really isn't. There's a higher percentage of people here who are educated, successful, and well-paid than in most areas, but that doesn't mean they're snobs, it just means that they're good at what they do.
What you're describing is very prevalent in Atlanta, but not here.
I'm young but I definitely don't envy people who have to live in Northern VA.

I'm sorry but after nearly six years there, NoVA will always leave a snobby taste in my mouth. Not because people make more money but their attitudes.

OP, listen to me. This area is very materialistic despite what anyone on this forum tells you. I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Materialism, Overspending, and Foreclosure in PG County
What is With All of the Self-Proclaimed "Important" People in Fairfax County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 01:33 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,176,530 times
What? Is this a serious thread or a joke?

You as the parent have the responsibility to live as you see fit unless you are more concerned about the others around you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagirl767 View Post
We're considering a move from Phoenix, AZ where it's just about illegal to not drive a luxury car, not Botox, kids must wear designer clothing, etc. So I was wondering how prevelant this may be in the NOVA area? I have young kids, so this is of particular importance to me in the public schools, along with adults. I would really like to hear that education is stressed there and conservative values, and that materialism isn't as "valued" there.
I was reading somewhere here on CD that it's just about illegal to be poor there, which is causing my concern.

Are there a large percentage of educated SAHM's in the suburbs?

We're just hoping to fit in a little better......somewhere.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:13 PM

46 posts, read 142,925 times
Thank you all!
Thank you allanboy for the links too. They help tremendously as I try to familiarize myself with the areas there.

The materialism sounds somewhat like here, the difference being that people in DC seem to be able to afford their lifestyles rather than living way beyond their means.

The educational levels in NOVA are definitely a plus for us, as we're criticized here for promoting education for our kids and that's our main concern really. Living among quiet, polite neighbors with well kept lawns would be a much welcomed bonus!

Old 05-18-2010, 03:17 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,739,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Please, let's don't start this again. I believe this has been addressed to death in other threads.
ITA!!

Why are people so concerned what others have and don't have, including their level of education? Just focus on your own life and you'll be happy.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:52 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
All of this underscores that there's no single answer to the OP's question, other than that the bling quotient probably isn't as high in NoVa as Scottsdale and, yes, people do place a lot of importance on schools and education here. One's perspective depends in very large measure on where one has lived previously and how much one cares about how others might perceive him, her or their offspring.

Last edited by JD984; 05-18-2010 at 05:00 PM..

Old 05-18-2010, 04:35 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Sigh, yet another person was probably turned off from the forum because of pettyness. I apologize to the OP, not EVERY thread turns out this way.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:51 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagirl767 View Post
The educational levels in NOVA are definitely a plus for us, as we're criticized here for promoting education for our kids and that's our main concern really. Living among quiet, polite neighbors with well kept lawns would be a much welcomed bonus!
You'll definitely find that here. One suggestion, since you have children, is to drive around the neighborhoods you're interested in in the mornings before school and the afternoons when school gets out, to get an idea of how many children are around. You might find two similar-looking neighborhoods that are in your price range but one might have a lot of older empty-nesters while the other would have more younger families like yours.

If you're looking at Fairfax County, you can go to FCPS Home Page Redirect Page. There's a boundary locator on the home page where you can enter the address you're considering and it will tell you the schools your children would attend. Then you can to to "Schools and Centers" and get a profile of the schools.

This is one of the most highly-educated areas of the country and people are very interesting to talk to.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:58 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Let's get back to discussing the original topic while respecting one another's point of view.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:24 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,139 times
I understand where she's coming from, when I visit the Atlanta area I always think, wow, there's a whole lot of hair and make-up going on here! And a relative who moved away from there told me she was kind of shocked when she found in her new location that the mothers didn't color-coordinate their children's clothes to their own. Not that everyone here is a slob, but the emphasis is different, and education is more important than in a lot of places.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:30 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
please, everyone just calm down, let's just all get into our Mercedes Benzes and drive back home to our mansions so that we can relax and order our butlers to bring us some wine and crackers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia