U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 01:24 PM

14,141 posts, read 14,771,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Except Brown and Cornell among others, which boast excellent computer science departments.
I take it that's what and where you studied?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 01:32 PM

660 posts, read 964,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
No, ILD was just casting doubt on your generalization that there are few Ivy League/elite school grads working in the IT field here. I suppose it depends on your definition of an elite school, but I'm not sure where your statement is coming from.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I am an Ivy League graduate with advanced degrees. I lived all over the world. But I have no problems going pheasant hunting with someone with only a high school diploma and has never lived elsewhere.
Pheasant hunting? A real man of the people. Of course you'd bring your Beretta 12 guage and spaniels right?

You didn't advise the Kerry campaign by chance?

Last edited by CAVA1990; 06-30-2010 at 02:18 PM..

Old 06-30-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
No, ILD was just casting doubt on your generalization that there are few Ivy League/elite school grads working in the IT field here. I suppose it depends on your definition of an elite school, but I'm not sure where your statement is coming from.
I don't believe I used the term "elite school" as that would encompass other institutions with excellent computer science or electrical engineering programs. Ivies aren't really known for pumping out IT folk.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:15 PM

2,641 posts, read 3,858,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Maybe. It might also be a matter of age. It might be that bragging about the schools you attended is more common in your 20s (and again in your 40s when your kids are looking at schools). Or maybe I just haven't happened to get into those sorts of conversations with my neighbors. Who knows. I talk a lot about gardening, the senior center, and volunteering for the fire department--not exactly topics where stories about college days are likely to come up. Maybe that's why.
Your neighbors are definitely not Ivy Leaguers then. Otherwise they would be saying (using the above as examples) "oh yes, that kind of plant grew outside my dorm at Princeton" or "I know what you mean, I volunteered at the senior center while at Harvard" or "Did I ever tell you about the time the entire fire department raced to campus when I accidentally set off the smoke alarm at Yale."

Yes I know I exaggerate. But not by much ...

Old 06-30-2010, 02:19 PM

4,801 posts, read 2,752,776 times
Quote:
I don't believe I used the term "elite school" as that would encompass other institutions with excellent computer science or electrical engineering programs. Ivies aren't really known for pumping out IT folk.
Just a possible idea...while perhaps not "Ivy" status per se, maybe MIT would at least qualify as an "elite" IT-based school?

Old 06-30-2010, 02:27 PM

15,402 posts, read 16,988,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Your neighbors are definitely not Ivy Leaguers then. Otherwise they would be saying (using the above as examples) "oh yes, that kind of plant grew outside my dorm at Princeton" or "I know what you mean, I volunteered at the senior center while at Harvard" or "Did I ever tell you about the time the entire fire department raced to campus when I accidentally set off the smoke alarm at Yale."

Yes I know I exaggerate. But not by much ...
LOL, you might be right about that...

Whenever I hear someone talking like that it makes me think of Thurston Howell III on Gilligan's Island.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Just a possible idea...while perhaps not "Ivy" status per se, maybe MIT would at least qualify as an "elite" IT-based school?
As would Cal, Stanfurd, and Michigan. Which is why I only said "Ivies".

Old 06-30-2010, 03:15 PM

1,403 posts, read 963,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
This is my guide for learning the proper way to behave and think, I recommend it highly Stuff White People Like. That way we all can be sure we will be accepted in polite society whether boho or bobo.
That is a riot!

Quote:
Actually Normie's interpretation of what I said was spot on. Suggest you go back and re-read it. I don't use the term "boho" so would hardly have confused the two. I believe that was a Tom Wolfe label from the 70s that I've not heard in years and had frankly forgotten. However, thank you for reminding me of him. Perhaps I'll need to go back and re-read my "Electric Kool Aid Acid Test". He was 100 times funnier and more perceptive than Brooks.
I agree that Wolfe is funny. But there is a reason why he's funnier -- his work is fictional! He can make it as funny as he would like. Brooks has to work with that pesky little thing called reality. There is only so much you can stretch the narrative with that.

Quote:
Wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
Yes.

Quote:
Pheasant hunting? A real man of the people. Of course you'd bring your Beretta 12 guage and spaniels right?

You didn't advise the Kerry campaign by chance?
You are completely off base. My current favorite pol is Bobby Jindal. My favorite local activist organization is VCDL.

Quote:
Some Ivies aren't. Brown and Cornell have excellent computer science departments. I personally know quite a few folks from those two programs at both Microsoft and Google, just for starters. And while MIT is strictly not Ivy League, it is an honorary member of sorts (voluntarily follows some Ivy League protocol -- but I am not sure of the exact arrangement).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
See above. But these schools don't teach "IT" -- they teach "computer science"!

Old 06-30-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
You are completely off base. My current favorite pol is Bobby Jindal.
Does he hunt pheasant with hoi polloi too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia