U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 08:26 PM

5,623 posts, read 5,419,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Oh, and michdc, speaking of Kansas - what's hilarious is that you'll see lots of threads very similar to this one about places like Johnson County (or 'JoCo'), Leawood, etc. in the Kansas subforum. Interestingly, though, people rarely move to those places expecting them to be snobby, but they do complain heavily of same once they've lived there awhile. (I know, I know, you said 'small town,' but I think very small towns - with the exception of bedroom communities of larger cities, or those that also function as at least semi-tourist destinations - have quite a bit in common across the U.S.)
Yes, I know of Johnson County, KS. I certainly wasn't referring to that area. It actually sounds pretty snobby to me. I was really meaning small-town, USA and just chose "small-town, KS" to get that point across. Small-town in central PA would be the same. This place might seem snobby to people moving from those kinds of towns. To people from suburban Philadelphia, NYC area (including CT and NJ suburbs) and many other places, I don't think this place would seem snobby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 10:00 PM

14 posts, read 14,517 times
Um, have any of you actually browsed/shopped in Chanel, Louis Vuitton or Hermes in Tysons Corner, Paris, Hawaii or elsewhere? I have and the majority of the customers tend to be Asian. In fact luxury designers have been opening up multiple stores in Asian countries just to keep up with the demand. any stated that the demand for luxury goods in Asian countries is what got them through the recession often making up more than 50% of their worldwide sales. There is a very large population of them in Fairfax who frequent these stores. The culture also supports children staying at home until they marry...which gives many a large disposable income to shop well into their early 30s. I have known many Japanese, Thai and Chinese coworkers who only carried Chanel and Vuitton etc. and wore designer head to toe while working a sub-$40k job because they had no household expenses.

I studied this luxury goods issue in college and and wrote a paper on it. This is not just a black issue and definitely is not just an American issue.
Read on...

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2250341292 You Know You Go to Langley High if...

Moderator Cut

"During the luxury boom of 2000 and 2001, when shoppers lined up in the street outside Gucci, Hermès and Vuitton shops in Paris, the companies drew criticism for putting into effect bag-per-customer limits that appeared to be aimed primarily at Asian shoppers. Some Asian customers complained they had been banned from Vuitton stores, and they could be found on the Champs-Élysées offering to pay Western tourists to buy bags for them."
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/10/fashion/10CAPS.html

Last edited by Tone509; 05-20-2010 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: The vast majority of links offered had nothing to do with NOVA; some were a bit salacious.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:21 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,195,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googleme View Post
Um, have any of you actually browsed/shopped in Chanel, Louis Vuitton or Hermes in Tysons Corner, Paris, Hawaii or elsewhere? I have and the majority of the customers tend to be Asian. In fact luxury designers have been opening up multiple stores in Asian countries just to keep up with the demand. any stated that the demand for luxury goods in Asian countries is what got them through the recession often making up more than 50% of their worldwide sales. There is a very large population of them in Fairfax who frequent these stores. The culture also supports children staying at home until they marry...which gives many a large disposable income to shop well into their early 30s. I have known many Japanese, Thai and Chinese coworkers who only carried Chanel and Vuitton etc. and wore designer head to toe while working a sub-$40k job because they had no household expenses.

I studied this luxury goods issue in college and and wrote a paper on it. This is not just a black issue and definitely is not just an American issue.
Read on...

You Know You Go to Langley High School if... | Facebook You Know You Go to Langley High if...

"During the luxury boom of 2000 and 2001, when shoppers lined up in the street outside Gucci, Hermès and Vuitton shops in Paris, the companies drew criticism for putting into effect bag-per-customer limits that appeared to be aimed primarily at Asian shoppers. Some Asian customers complained they had been banned from Vuitton stores, and they could be found on the Champs-Élysées offering to pay Western tourists to buy bags for them."
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/10/fashion/10CAPS.html

Article: Hermes in the Philippines - Page 2 - Purse Forum
Very interesting, thanks for sharing!

Last edited by Tone509; 05-20-2010 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: edited quote

Old 05-20-2010, 08:07 AM

14,141 posts, read 14,755,092 times
The Sneetches are alive and well.

For those of you not up on your Dr. Seuss:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sne..._Other_Stories

Old 05-20-2010, 08:29 AM

1,522 posts, read 1,817,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
"As a result, many, if not most, supplement math with tutors, Kumon, and summer math programs."

We didn't use math tutors or Kumon. There is a segment of the community that does use tutors or other math supplements, but it was definitely not the majority in McLean (at least, not among the non-Asians).
We don't use math tutors or Kumon, either. Both of my kids have great math programs in their schools, and their teachers use a variety of materials -- and not all from Everyday Math.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:49 PM

450 posts, read 566,956 times
Yeah, this is the probably with too many people trying to keep up with the Joneses. Too many people get hung up on the material things instead of focusing on what is important in life. More time than not, money doesn't bring happiness, just more underlining problems.

For those that try to keep up with the Joneses, it is very unfortunate. Life is too short to be worry about the appearance of things and how it all looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by googleme View Post
many living beyond their means to buy luxury goods

Old 05-20-2010, 10:00 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,238,324 times
Default It ain't Vegas, baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagirl767 View Post
We're considering a move from Phoenix, AZ where it's just about illegal to not drive a luxury car, not Botox, kids must wear designer clothing, etc. So I was wondering how prevelant this may be in the NOVA area? I have young kids, so this is of particular importance to me in the public schools, along with adults. I would really like to hear that education is stressed there and conservative values, and that materialism isn't as "valued" there.
I was reading somewhere here on CD that it's just about illegal to be poor there, which is causing my concern.

Are there a large percentage of educated SAHM's in the suburbs?

We're just hoping to fit in a little better......somewhere.
I can't chime in on the "snob" factor in Phoenix, especially with kids, who tend to be snobby by nature, regardless of their geography or economic class. Like previous posters have stated, I think the snob appeal here isn't so much about 'stuff', but more likely about education and jobs. As a long time resident of the area, I find people in general to be pretty modest about their purchases. I don't feel that it's acceptable here to flaunt your wealth, clothing, cars, etc.. For the most part, I think It's considered crass to be too bling-y, flashy or loud. Newbies who try to 'crash' into the 'scene' here are politely ignored. In my experience, Versace/Hummer crowd gets more eye rolls than envy. Women who wear too much makeup or flashy jewelry (a la NYC/Miami/LA) stick out like hookers. Don't try too hard to impress people, just be yourself.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:50 AM

159 posts, read 232,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Dod, it was just a little reality check. Several others have made the same point. But it's nice to see you back; I don't think I had seen your posts for a while (unless we were just posting on different threads).
Haven't been here for a while Yankeesfan. Work has been busy, plus I started the Couch-to-5K running program, and it's been keeping me outdoors, I have 4 runs to go and I'll be running my first ever 5K race first week in June!

Old 05-21-2010, 09:02 AM

46 posts, read 86,989 times
CAVA 1990 & smithy77, LOL! I do think part of the problem is that we look like we don't fit in here. We aren't tattooed with that special star or anything else for that matter, we are being ourselves and I think that's the problem; it's our appearance I think that may be making us unapproachable. But it's fine, I rarely can find anything to talk about with moms here anyway. It seems to be taken out on my kids though, since they're still young, the moms are still choosing their kids' playdates and it seems based on which moms see friend potential in other moms.

I got to thinking about the people I know in the D.C. area, so now it's occurred to me that yes they are better educated, one has a Ph.D, one is an author, etc., but that they're all very conservative looking made me realize that it could very well be how I look to other moms here, since I think they would have a hard time fitting in here. DH is the same too, without those special tattoos, we don't drive a monster truck, we make a rather boring (and middle class) looking first impression.

BMWguydc - I'm not sure what our pricepoint will be for a house, yet. We may keep our house here as a rental, we may not. I was just noticing that $500, seems to be the minimum we'd need to spend.
I'm more and more relieved when I read the posts regarding reasonable clear thinking stay at home moms in the D.C. area (and one would hope they exist, considering their educational levels). I'm beginning to think we really need to be there!

Last edited by Cagirl767; 05-21-2010 at 09:25 AM..

Old 05-21-2010, 10:19 AM

3,236 posts, read 4,674,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagirl767 View Post
. . . I do think part of the problem is that we look like we don't fit in here. We aren't tattooed with that special star or anything else for that matter, we are being ourselves and I think that's the problem; it's our appearance I think that may be making us unapproachable. But it's fine, I rarely can find anything to talk about with moms here anyway. . . .
I'm coming onto this post rather late so maybe I missed something. I am trying to envision where you currently live. I have not been to Arizona but I went to Albuquerque, NM once and I thought there was a definitely snob factor there. People seemed to look down on everyone who wasn't dressed the way they were or dripping with giant necklaces made of turquoise, coral, and silver. People in NoVA don't give a hoot much to that; in fact you'll see most folks running around in khakis, shorts, polo shirts and tees for the most part. Actually one of my co-workers, who was a multi-millionaire in his 30s always ran around in khakis and beat-up sneakers.

This is indeed a highly-educated area, one of the highest in the nation. You'll notice that in general conversation as well as where people work and the kind of work they do. And you will definitely see the fair share of higher-priced merchandised, vehicles, and high-end boutiques. But unless you walk around looking like you just crawled out of a mud pit or smell -- then no one really pays you any mind.

Just from my personal perspective, I think the two main things folks concentrate on around here (as far as where to put the money) are:

* education
* real estate

And then I'd say that good food and travel/entertainment are high on the list too.

I think you'll fit in fine over here. Good luck on your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia