U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-21-2010, 11:34 AM
 
Location: South South Jersey
1,652 posts, read 3,403,398 times
Reputation: 734

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
And you will definitely see the fair share of [...] and high-end boutiques.
Where?

Casual/baggy non-descript clothing is popular here.. basically, anything that's more functional than fashionable, but not outdoorsy Patagonia stuff, either.. just khakis/jeans and non-descript shirts, mostly. This attitude has rubbed off on me, actually - I used to be really obsessed with my own wardrobe (not blingy stuff - just cool/semi-artsy stuff), and I'm finding more and more that I have no interest in that these days. I remember frequently feeling that I didn't quite measure up in hipster neighborhoods in Chicago and even Kansas City (yes!), where I rarely (no, never) feel that way in the DC area. I go into the city occasionally (to shop at interesting boutiques ) , and I've never felt 'unfashionable' relative to the people around me, even in random old blah clothing. Arguably, this phenomenon is a social good since it frees up your attention for more important concerns.

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 05-21-2010 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-21-2010, 12:21 PM
 
2,688 posts, read 5,954,114 times
Reputation: 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by dod236 View Post
Haven't been here for a while Yankeesfan. Work has been busy, plus I started the Couch-to-5K running program, and it's been keeping me outdoors, I have 4 runs to go and I'll be running my first ever 5K race first week in June!
Awesome, let us know how that goes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 12:23 PM
 
Location: In the woods
3,315 posts, read 8,781,286 times
Reputation: 1510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Where?
Boutiques? The designer ones in Tysons Galleria II, in Georgetown on Wisconsin Ave, the ones in Chevy Chase near Saks. I've probably missed a few around town so maybe others will know. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 12:31 PM
 
2,688 posts, read 5,954,114 times
Reputation: 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Arguably, this phenomenon is a social good since it frees up your attention for more important concerns.
I agree with that. Reminds me of when I once was at a little strip mall and I saw a man I knew I had met because he looked so familiar, but I was drawing a blank on who he was. He was wearing the kind of Hanes sweatpants and sweatshirt that you could get for $10 or less at Target. When he walked to his car I glanced at his license plates and realized he was a U.S. Senator from that state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 12:57 PM
 
Location: South South Jersey
1,652 posts, read 3,403,398 times
Reputation: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Boutiques? The designer ones in Tysons Galleria II, in Georgetown on Wisconsin Ave, the ones in Chevy Chase near Saks. I've probably missed a few around town so maybe others will know. . .
Except for Tysons Galleria (which is part of a big indoor mall complex - I know a lot of city's [say, Houston's] swankiest boutiques are in big indoor malls with food courts full of bad 'Chinese' food, but something about that just ruins it for me - besides, there are very few independent boutiques in Tysons that sell more than one 'line'), none of those places is in NoVA. I've said it once and I'll say it again (and again and again... actually, I'm probably going to give up on it one of these days), for all the wealth in NoVA, there's far less upscale shopping tucked away near residential areas (yes, even in strip malls) than you'd expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 12:58 PM
 
Location: South South Jersey
1,652 posts, read 3,403,398 times
Reputation: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
I agree with that. Reminds me of when I once was at a little strip mall and I saw a man I knew I had met because he looked so familiar, but I was drawing a blank on who he was. He was wearing the kind of Hanes sweatpants and sweatshirt that you could get for $10 or less at Target. When he walked to his car I glanced at his license plates and realized he was a U.S. Senator from that state.
Yes, NoVA has freed me of my clothing addiction. It's something to protect you from the elements and cover your birthday suit. (Interestingly, a lot of the conservators where I work wear Crocs and sweats under their lab coats/smocks, and the desk jockeys don't dress much better. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 01:43 PM
 
5,071 posts, read 8,623,365 times
Reputation: 2722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Except for Tysons Galleria (which is part of a big indoor mall complex - I know a lot of city's [say, Houston's] swankiest boutiques are in big indoor malls with food courts full of bad 'Chinese' food, but something about that just ruins it for me - besides, there are very few independent boutiques in Tysons that sell more than one 'line'), none of those places is in NoVA. I've said it once and I'll say it again (and again and again... actually, I'm probably going to give up on it one of these days), for all the wealth in NoVA, there's far less upscale shopping tucked away near residential areas (yes, even in strip malls) than you'd expect.
Is this what you were looking for? It's tucked away (though not tucked away enough for me) near a residential area in McLean.

The Preppy Pink Pony - flip flops, purses, scout bags, wicker bags, purses, breast cancer gifts, watches, monogrammed linens, and cell phone covers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 03:15 PM
 
Location: South South Jersey
1,652 posts, read 3,403,398 times
Reputation: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Is this what you were looking for? It's tucked away (though not tucked away enough for me) near a residential area in McLean.

The Preppy Pink Pony - flip flops, purses, scout bags, wicker bags, purses, breast cancer gifts, watches, monogrammed linens, and cell phone covers
Heh!! (to "not tucked away enough for me")

Yes, that's exactly the kinda place I'm talking about. There should be way more of these places (indie boutiques, I mean, not necessary ones exactly like the Preppy Pink Pony) in NoVA, considering how high the population is here, and the aggregate wealth of that population. Per capita, there aren't nearly enough Preppy Pink Ponies to go around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 09:01 PM
 
84 posts, read 180,281 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagirl767 View Post
We're considering a move from Phoenix, AZ where it's just about illegal to not drive a luxury car, not Botox, kids must wear designer clothing, etc. So I was wondering how prevelant this may be in the NOVA area? I have young kids, so this is of particular importance to me in the public schools, along with adults. I would really like to hear that education is stressed there and conservative values, and that materialism isn't as "valued" there.
I was reading somewhere here on CD that it's just about illegal to be poor there, which is causing my concern.

Are there a large percentage of educated SAHM's in the suburbs?

We're just hoping to fit in a little better......somewhere.
On the high side, but nothing compared to NYC. DC area population is highly educated and very sophisticated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 10:48 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC & New York
10,830 posts, read 26,363,474 times
Reputation: 6895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagirl767 View Post
BMWguydc - I'm not sure what our pricepoint will be for a house, yet. We may keep our house here as a rental, we may not. I was just noticing that $500, seems to be the minimum we'd need to spend.
I'm more and more relieved when I read the posts regarding reasonable clear thinking stay at home moms in the D.C. area (and one would hope they exist, considering their educational levels). I'm beginning to think we really need to be there!
That's good, since if you have a little wiggle room in the price, you have options with regard to schools and finding the SAHMs with whom you can connect. A friend of a friend actually had to give up a house in Arlington that she loved to move to Fairfax to find SAHMs as the women who lived near her in Arlington were either working full-time, or were DINKS.
__________________
All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages.
~William Shakespeare
(As You Like It Act II, Scene VII)

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:24 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top