Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 11:12 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,948,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca29 View Post
On the high side, but nothing compared to NYC. DC area population is highly educated and very sophisticated.
Highly educated? yes indeed. Highly sophisticated? LOL...........ever been to NY or Chicago or SF or any other major city? DC is full of nerds and geeks who don't care about dressing and wouldn't know what to do if they did care!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 05:43 AM

6,725 posts, read 6,711,443 times
No one here is really going to care if you don't drive the newest car or if you wear understated librarian clothes. But if your kids don't qualify for the Fairfax County Gifted/Talented programs, you'll have a lot of explaining to do.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:49 AM

102 posts, read 539,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
No one here is really going to care if you don't drive the newest car or if you wear understated librarian clothes. But if your kids don't qualify for the Fairfax County Gifted/Talented programs, you'll have a lot of explaining to do.
Ha ha, so true! Or... if your kids qualify for the program but you choose to keep them at their base school anyway, you REALLY have some 'splainin' to do!

Old 05-22-2010, 07:27 AM

100 posts, read 218,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Highly educated? yes indeed. Highly sophisticated? LOL...........ever been to NY or Chicago or SF or any other major city? DC is full of nerds and geeks who don't care about dressing and wouldn't know what to do if they did care!
Oh, I was referring to the level of culture and cultural / leisure opotions, not fashion lol. I think DC was no. 2 on the list with the metro areas with the most unattractive people. I think San Antonio beat us lol.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:45 PM

46 posts, read 142,898 times
That's ironic, considering that here in Phoenix, education seems the complete opposite of D.C. I have to take my kids incognito to Sylvan, or to any academic programs, for fear of being spotted by someone we know and then having to explain why on earth I'm doing "this" to them. I was told by my son's preschool teacher last year to "try to find games and activities where the boys don't have to talk such as digging in the sand" since most of them weren't really speaking yet. And to teach him how to play using less imagination and creativity so that he'd get along with the other boys better.

On another note, we're much more into traveling and dining out than anything else. I'm liking the proximity of D.C. to Atlantis and Europe and of course all the east coast culture. Anyone like to chime in on what the suburban restaurants are like toward Ashburn?

I'd much rather live around the ugliest people than the dumbest ones, as Arizona was voted the state with the stupidest people. DH says he'll fit right in with the geek crowd.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:48 PM

362 posts, read 774,596 times
what's an SAHM? Single Asian Home Makers?

Old 05-22-2010, 02:15 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Except for Tysons Galleria (which is part of a big indoor mall complex - I know a lot of city's [say, Houston's] swankiest boutiques are in big indoor malls with food courts full of bad 'Chinese' food, but something about that just ruins it for me - besides, there are very few independent boutiques in Tysons that sell more than one 'line'), none of those places is in NoVA.
When my niece first got out of college, she worked for Ralph Lauren at Tysons Galleria II. Not sure how this figures about selling "one line." Ralph Lauren's collections are based on labels--i.e., purple and black labels being the most expensive and aimed at specific buyers who can afford this merchandise versus green labels. And so these are things that are only available at the Ralph Lauren boutiques and also in limited quantities. Folks who worked there referred to the place as a "boutique" not a store, same as Vera Wang, Ferragamo, etc. These are corporate boutiques; independent private ones are the ones lining Wisconsin Ave in Georgetown.

Also not sure how this figures with the comparison to outdoor malls with cheap Chinese food, but Galleria II doesn't have food courts. All of the shops are considered upscale as compared to,let's say -- Galleria I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
I've said it once and I'll say it again (and again and again... actually, I'm probably going to give up on it one of these days), for all the wealth in NoVA, there's far less upscale shopping tucked away near residential areas (yes, even in strip malls) than you'd expect.
I agree with this. I would expect more upscale boutiques in certain neighborhoods too. I think places like Middleburg, VA has them though. But I would not consider "The Preppy Pink Pony" as a boutique in line with the ones I've mentioned.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:18 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca29 View Post
Oh, I was referring to the level of culture and cultural / leisure opotions, not fashion lol. I think DC was no. 2 on the list with the metro areas with the most unattractive people. I think San Antonio beat us lol.
I thought the same thing too when you said "highly sophisticated". I thought it referred alot to the intellectual aspect of people, especially the way they converse.

I didn't know DC was ranked No. 2 as Most Unattractive? Not sure where this poll comes from but I can think of a few other cities that could beat DC in the ugly-factor

Old 05-22-2010, 02:33 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC2000 View Post
Besides the ethnic qualifier, you're close: Stay At-Home Mom.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:05 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC2000 View Post
Single Asian Home Makers?

I'm getting in my car and coming back to NoVA to try to scoop one of them up! I love me some Asian women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia