Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 11:45 AM

46 posts, read 142,914 times

Advertisements

We're considering a move from Phoenix, AZ where it's just about illegal to not drive a luxury car, not Botox, kids must wear designer clothing, etc. So I was wondering how prevelant this may be in the NOVA area? I have young kids, so this is of particular importance to me in the public schools, along with adults. I would really like to hear that education is stressed there and conservative values, and that materialism isn't as "valued" there.
I was reading somewhere here on CD that it's just about illegal to be poor there, which is causing my concern.

Are there a large percentage of educated SAHM's in the suburbs?

We're just hoping to fit in a little better......somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 11:54 AM

158 posts, read 378,987 times
it all depends on where you are. I live in Mclean which probably has a reputation of being snooty, wealthy, etc but we don't live in that part of Mclean. My neighborhood is full of SAHM's who are fun and not snobby at all. When we moved in, all our nieighbors brought us welcoming plants and baked goods and were so helpful in helping us figure out where everything is. Now, drive a a mile or so away and it is could be a different story. I love our small town feel here. I moved here from the bay area in California and have found people to be a lot more friendly here than there. Good Luck!

Old 05-18-2010, 12:00 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
VERY very high.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:04 PM

6 posts, read 27,204 times
Default Depends

There are certainly a lot of affluent people here. That said, such affluence usually helps when you're looking for neighborhoods with educated SAHM's and good schools. I think you can find everything in NoVA. I currently live in Burke and we love it -- I know plenty of SAHM's and WOHM's and I don't know one who doesn't have a college education (or more, for both sets). Yes, there are a lot of families who have bigger houses and drive better cars than we do, but my kids don't seem to mind. My neighbors live in a modest colonial built in the 70's, but they just bought their daughter a car (a Honda but heck, a NEW CAR!). OTOH, said daughter is very sweet, DOESN'T look like she just popped out of a TV show, babysits to earn extra money and plays sports at the local high school. All kids around here seem to have what they need in an upper middle-class neighborhood -- I'm sure some are big brats but I haven't met one yet. Now, that doesn't mean that kids AND PARENTS are not horribly competitive around here. Usually, though, I've found such competitiveness has more to do with achievements: athletics, grades, and other such resume builders. I usually don't see it with BMW's and Hollister (which is probably so uncool...I just don't know!!!!) HTH.

Last edited by ggcjbw; 05-18-2010 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: umm...I meant "achievements!" I'm educated, but you wouldn't know it!

Old 05-18-2010, 12:10 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,682,232 times
The Young and Envious (see above) will tell you that it is, but aside from some pockets of the area, it really isn't. There's a higher percentage of people here who are educated, successful, and well-paid than in most areas, but that doesn't mean they're snobs, it just means that they're good at what they do.
What you're describing is very prevalent in Atlanta, but not here.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:17 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,920,232 times
Residents of Fairfax County have one of the highest median incomes in the country. Housing is very expensive, many mothers are working full-time outside the home, and a very high percentage of the population has at least one post-graduate degree.
However, whether that translates into "snobbery" depends on what you're comparing it to. IMO, the NYC and LA suburbs are meccas of conspicuous consumption, such that northern Virginia isn't even in the same league. The snob factor in DC is much more likely to be focused on education and employment status -- journalists, Hill staffers, think tank policy wonks, etc. don't make much money, and usually live relatively modestly, but they have high status in many social circles because of their work. Yes, there are a lot of nice cars in northern Virginia, but they tend to be the boring BMWs and Mercedes driven by successful middle-aged professionals. Not too many red convertibles driven by trophy wives on their way to the Botox appointment.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:21 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,943,013 times
I'm shocked when I spend time in schools here and see so many kids running around with North Face fleeces and Polo shirts! So yeah, the area has money (some neighborhoods more than others) At the same time, there is a huge concentration of stay-at-home moms (educated or not).

I dunno. NoVA is a really diverse area. It depends who you want to hang out with and where you want to live. When I spend time with my coworkers I have to remind myself not to be embarrassed to drive a 10 year old car and not shop at designer stores. When I spend time with my Bible study couples, I feel more down to earth.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:13 PM

696 posts, read 1,694,404 times
Having moved from Seattle (another pretty affluent area), I would have to agree with most of the other posters. IMO Nova is incredibly well-educated, but they aren't HUGE on buying the latest and greatest clothes, things, etc. In Seattle everyone was always talking about the latest and greatest at Costco and in constant comparison with the haves and have nots. I find that people buy quality here and want the best for their children, but name-brands don't seem to be a status symbol like they were for us in Seattle. We are also in a late 60's neighborhood (family friendly) where they drive decent cars, but nothing fancy.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:14 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,199,936 times
I live in Fairfax county, and don't really notice it. People here are young and have money. Young people tend to be a bit more flashy and many have the means to buy (or more likely rent) nice cars. But if you aren't looking for it, you won't notice.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:26 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,059,508 times
Please, let's don't start this again. I believe this has been addressed to death in other threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia