U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 11:19 AM

30 posts, read 100,100 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm retired and am looking for a place to live in Northern VA. I'd like to be within an hour of where my daughter lives. My problem is that I don't know where to start. I know that housing prices are much much higher than where I live now (Pittsburgh), so I want to find an affordable town. I'd love to find a place with a little town. I would really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 11:22 AM

10,598 posts, read 12,100,469 times
Where does your daughter live?

Old 05-19-2010, 11:23 AM

8,555 posts, read 12,634,807 times
There are very few "little towns" around Northern Virginia. Where does your daughter live? That might help us guide you to a place best suited for you. Off the top of my head, the following have at least somewhat of a downtown:

Alexandria
Arlington
Falls Church
Vienna
Herndon
Leesburg
Occoquon

Bigger cities that are farther away from Northern Virginia but have downtown centers include:
Fredericksburg
Winchester

There are a few "out in the country" type towns:
Middleburg
Purcellville

I may have missed a few - that is what I can think of off the top of my head. Again, more information might help - budget, type of lifestyle you envision, daughter's location, etc.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:35 PM

Default daughter in Reston

Thanks for your replies. She lives in Reston. I am pretty sure that I can't afford to live there - at least not in a single family home which I prefer.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:03 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,360,162 times
You might find something in Warrenton, which is under an hour without traffic. If you would not mind a few more minutes, you could look in the area around Washington, VA, which is outside of Warrenton, but the area has many equestrian properties that can be expensive. It's also more of a country place, with a tiny town. Warrenton is more of a small town, where you can find properties not on acres of land, though the hunt country properties exist there, too.

Similarly, an hour would put you in Charles Town, WV and Harpers Ferry, WV. There are also areas in Maryland, north of Leesburg, that are not as expensive as the immediate area that would be within an hour or so of Reston, such as Point of Rocks or Brunswick, though some parts of that area are not as nice, overall.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-20-2010, 05:04 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,045,591 times
Unfortunately, an hour doesn't really get you very far in northern Virginia, and the word "affordable" is relative. My parents and inlaws live in Pittsburgh, both in SFHs that would sell for $200K, tops. If you can find a SFH within an hour of Reston for $200K, it would probably be a tear-down. Are you willing to consider going a bit further out from Reston? Do you have a housing budget in mind?

Old 05-20-2010, 05:59 AM

I appreciate your input. It is so helpful. I think my home here in Pgh would probably sell for around $200K - and I realize that to get something similar I would have to practically double that. I see my daughter's townhome and the comparative value there. So, I am happy to move "out" quite a bit. In fact, I prefer a more relaxed environment. Your description of Warrenton sounds exactly what I am looking for. I will check that and the other places you mentioned. Thank you so much.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:31 AM

4,264 posts, read 8,142,431 times
What about Stafford or Fredricksburg, they are not quite as expensive

Old 05-20-2010, 07:24 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,045,591 times
You might also look at Culpeper, a bit beyond Warrenton.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:55 AM

5,083 posts, read 5,359,309 times
Take a look at Winchester/Strasburg/Woodstock area's as well. They are only about an hour west of Reston. A quick and easy drive down I-66/I-81 (outside of rush hour, that is). Strasburg and Woodstock are small towns with affordable single family housing. I lived in Woodstock for many years and loved the friendly, small town feel.

Here is an example of a single family home you can get for less than $200k:

94 Cedar Ln, Woodstock, VA, 22664 - MLS #SH7333107 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

Last edited by HokieFan; 05-20-2010 at 08:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia