Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 01:56 PM

6 posts, read 14,481 times

Advertisements

the builders put my door in the wrong way and they lie to me afther 6 m I get the original plane fron the county and they still lie to me, they sed that they have diferents planes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 02:03 PM

Is there any special laws to protect my self when they put the door in the diferent way whitout my autoritation?

Old 05-24-2010, 02:08 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emento1 View Post
Is there any special laws to protect my self when they put the door in the diferent way whitout my autoritation?
Specifications would be covered by your contract with your builder. They shouldn't deviate from plans without your authorization. Do you have a real estate agent you are working with who can help you through this?

Old 05-24-2010, 02:21 PM

476 posts, read 1,676,947 times
I'm not sure what you mean they put the door in the wrong way. Do you mean that the door hinges opens to the left side instead of right or vice versa? They always open inward and I think that is code. Most single front doors seem to have the handle on the right side, but don't know if that is code or just general right-handed bias.

If you want it changed tell them - DO NOT CLOSE until they have it as specified by code or on your plans (not planes?). You have the right to a final inspection prior to closing and if it does not meet the plan written to the contract tell them you won't close until they agree to change it.

If is is something that can be changed maybe they would not get it done before closing, but agree to do it on your "punch list" to be completed within 30 days (or whatever time limit is set). Sounds like you are getting pushed around. If this is a new home being built do you have someone working with you on your behalf to ensure the home is built according to your agreement?

For a builder changing the direction of a door should not be a big deal.

What are you refererring to when you say they lied to you after 6m?

Old 05-24-2010, 02:33 PM

I move in 6 momts a go (sorry my english is not realy good)because in my first woak I'm o raedy tell abobe and they said that the planes are in that way
but is a lie because I get fron the county and realy they put the door in the wrong way

Old 05-24-2010, 02:36 PM

Is a new house and is the basement door they put in the rigth side instead the left

Old 05-24-2010, 03:07 PM

476 posts, read 1,676,947 times
If it is the door inside the house on the main floor leading down into the basement it HAS to open to offer the bannister/hand rail. You cannot open an door and block the hand rails. They should be accessible or easy to reach from the top step.

Are you already in the house or are they still building it? If you are already in and it is not done according to code, find someone who can help you. Do you have friends or family that might speak to them on your behalf?

They can easily change the hinges and door casings (the wood that does around the frame of the door on the wall) to fix it to go the other way as long as it is in line with county codes.

What neighborhood are you in? Go to the person that you signed the contract with and tell them they need to help you get it corrected.

Good luck!

Old 05-24-2010, 03:22 PM

Thank you so much, the house is done but they lie when I ask to fix this problem the first time and they still lie to me now

Old 05-24-2010, 03:24 PM

I'm in South Riding VA ,I will get a loyer

Old 05-24-2010, 03:32 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Since legal remedies may differ in Virginia, I'm going to move this thread to the appropriate forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia