Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 12:42 PM

5 posts, read 7,020 times

Advertisements

Greeting everyone. Figure I would contribute to the ever popular "relocation" threads

My family (wife and 2 young children) are planning to relocate to the NoVA area from Chandler AZ, (Phoenix metro), and we are trying to collect as much information as we possibly can.
I gew up in Franklin Farms in Herndon from 1980-93 before heading west to finish college so I am familiar with area. That being said, a lot has changed over the years and areas that we have looked at were way off my radar 17 years ago so I am approaching this very much as a newcomer.
We have focused on the Gainesville/Haymarket areas as they seem to be within our price range (350k-375k). I am looking for any input on that area with regard to proximity to shopping (nice Mall, costco, Target, everyday type things) as well as parks and recreation and general living with small kids. I saw that a Wegmans is nearby and that is a huge plus, and also took note that Lifetime Fitness seems to be about 20 minutes away.
We have looked at the schools and are happy with what we have seen though we welcome any additional comments.
My wife will be able work remotely and keep her current job, I will be looking for work (whether or not we relocate will be determined by what opportunities I can find). I am a systems support analyst and am hoping there will be plenty of opportunities in the area to find a good job. I have been told NoVA is a great place for that field. Again any input here would be very welcome, I have just begun the process of searching.
Bottom line, I've waited 17 years and long to return home and the family is on board!! We are doing what we can to make it happen and feel it is a great time to do it. Any input is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 12:51 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
Not sure where in Haymarket but I think Villages of Piedmont are very nice. Plus it is only a mile or two from the "strip" in Haymarket. I used to go to Haymarket once a week for a old job.

Good luck with the move! Your realtor should be able to get you some information on what is around in Haymarket...or wherever you pick. (I work for a real estate agent and I know she often has this kind of info...If we weren't moving our office I would find you the print out, lol!)

Old 05-20-2010, 04:09 PM

309 posts, read 828,233 times
Please search this thread for Bristow/Haymarket/Gainesville and you will find a wealth of information. These areas are generally grouped together.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:39 PM

11 posts, read 28,500 times
Default Wade-Family

Gainesville is a great place to buy. I always include for my Clients house hunting in Morris Farms, Morris et al., and or Glenkirk, Braemar, etc. Nice neighborhoods and great schools. Shopping at Limestone Road with economical big name stores. Some construction but great infrastructure in PW County and plenty of support and resources for families especially!

Old 05-22-2010, 09:31 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,610,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Gorham View Post
Gainesville is a great place to buy. I always include for my Clients house hunting in Morris Farms, Morris et al., and or Glenkirk, Braemar, etc. Nice neighborhoods and great schools. Shopping at Limestone Road with economical big name stores. Some construction but great infrastructure in PW County and plenty of support and resources for families especially!
Thinking you mean Linton Hall Road not Limestone. There is nothing on Limestone but a middle school, a couple of churches and a pizza place. Also it's Morris Farm not Morris Farms.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:55 PM

11 posts, read 28,500 times
I do! Think of how working 19 hours per day makes you picture a right on limestone to come around to the shoppes where Long & Foster is located or you can continue straight on Linden Hall and find the big plaza on your right. I hope you were not being mean spirited....

Old 05-23-2010, 04:48 PM

24 posts, read 79,421 times
We are moving to Morris Farm in a couple months. It is about 5 minutes to a SuperTarget, and I've heard it's about 15 minutes to a SuperWalmart and a Costco, which I think is in Manassas. I'm looking forward to saving a lot of money on groceries!!

At the head of Linton Hall Road, where it meets Lee Hwy/ Route 29, there is a large shopping area with tons of restaurants and stores, including Lowe's, Hallmark, Papa John's pizza, Chick-Fil-A (yum!), Best Buy, Giant groceries, Walgreen's pharmacy, and lots more.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:54 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
The Gainesville/Haymarket area has exploded over the last 10-15 years. Gainesville is nothing like it was just 5 years ago. With Atlas iron Works gone it changed the entire scenery. This really is a good area but beware of the traffic. Not a mess and the roads are improving but still heavy often. As far as crime I recently retired from PWC Police and I'd move to the G'sville, Haymarket area without reservation. Is it crime free? No, of course not. Even gated communities such as Piedmont have their issues but overall the quality of life there stands head and shoulders above much of Manassas. (And I live in Manassas)

Old 06-17-2010, 02:52 PM

8 posts, read 42,499 times
We just moved from Surprise 6 months ago and are moving into our new house in Haymarket in the fall! I think you'll like it!!! It really has all of the amenities you will need within close proximity and with two small children, I think there is plenty to do and see.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia