Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:43 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,232,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Because WE have to see them. Have some pride and try to look your best at ALL TIMES. The world is not your private lounge.
Wow. i don't even know where to begin..

Have you ever been to a hospital before? Do you think someone getting a kidney dialysis or sitting on a bedpan is going to be overly concerned with wearing stylish clothes?

Worry about yourself. You don't know what's going on in other people's lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 10:47 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,263,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
I see mississippimagnolia's point. No, I don't think anyone feels a need to impress someone when we're just out buying a pack of sausages or picking out pears. But there is a difference between someone wearing a decent pair of sweats or yoga pants and a clean shirt versus someone with sleep discharge in the eye, wearing their pajamas, or who has obviously has not washed their face.

Sure, some people find it OK to look bad in public but to me, IMO, it shows a lack of self-respect, laziness, or indicative of a personal problem (i.e., depression, alcoholism or crack addict) when an individual cannot even make themselves presentable in public.
Wow, maybe the people don't know that others think they look bad, maybe their baby was sick all night long, maybe their mother just died, there are any number of reasons why someone maybe out in public without being dressed up but to pin it on lack of self-respect, laziness or to say it is indicative of a personal problem, just wow that is all I can say.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
As long as a person is clean and respectably covered, who cares what clothes she wears? Women seem to be judged more harshly here than men are (and usually by other women).

I don't want to attract attention when I do errands, so I deliberately dress in simple stuff.

Amen, I could care less what others wear when they are out in public and would actually think especially in the NOVA area where there are so many career minded people, that most people don't have the time or inclination to wonder why someone is dressed the way they are.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:54 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,074,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Wow, maybe the people don't know that others think they look bad, maybe their there are any number of reasons why someone maybe out in public without being dressed up but to pin it on lack of self-respect, laziness or to say it is indicative of a personal problem, just wow that is all I can say.
I can understand your point. But I'm talking about people who do it who are not experiencing things mentioned above or who do it on a frequent basis/as a habit. And having a "baby sick all night long" or "maybe their mother just died" qualifies as a personal problem/experience or tragedy: just a temporary one. Sorry if "personal problem" came across too strong: I used it to the extreme.

And I didn't mean "dressed up" like putting on a matching outfit, wearing lipstick, or a shirt with a collar. I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
But there is a difference between someone wearing a decent pair of sweats or yoga pants and a clean shirt versus someone with sleep discharge in the eye, wearing their pajamas, or who has obviously has not washed their face.

Last edited by South Jersey Styx; 05-26-2010 at 11:04 AM..

Old 05-26-2010, 01:09 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,885,568 times
Quote:
Are you trying to impress the food you buy at the grocery store? You're there to buy groceries, not impress anyone, unless you are incredibly insecure and find a constant need to impress people.
The only person I try to impress is my husband. That's it.

I was raised that you just don't go out in public not looking your best. If your baby was up all night, then maybe your best that day is different from your best on another. But you still make the effort.

And for the record...I have five children. I know all too well what it's like to be exhausted. I still would never in a million years go out of the house in my pajamas. It's about personal pride in my appearance, not about trying to impress anyone.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:17 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,395,748 times
The quality of a person's character (how they treat others, etc.) is more important than what kind of clothes they wear, or if they are wearing makeup in public.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
The quality of a person's character (how they treat others, etc.) is more important than what kind of clothes they wear, or if they are wearing makeup in public.
I don't think anyone would ever dispute that the quality of one's character is more important than the clothing she wears. (I think you meant to say he or she rather than "their" since you used the term "person's"...singular.)

However, a person can certainly be of good moral character and still dress appropriately for the situation, wouldn't you agree?

Old 05-26-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
I don't think anyone would ever dispute that the quality of one's character is more important than the clothing she wears. (I think you meant to say he or she rather than "their" since you used the term "person's"...singular.)

However, a person can certainly be of good moral character and still dress appropriately for the situation, wouldn't you agree?

Unless there is a dress code somewhere, who determines what is appropriate dress for a given situation?

I guess as with just about any situation in life what one person would do isn't necessarily what another would do. While I personally do not wear pj's when I go to the store, I personally don't care if another person does. If they are comfortable what is it to me?

Old 05-26-2010, 02:25 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,195,557 times
Basically what America's devolved into is adults going out looking like children.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Unless there is a dress code somewhere, who determines what is appropriate dress for a given situation?
Seriously? If you truly do not know, as an adult, that pajamas are not appropriate for a trip to the grocery store or that a swimsuit is not appropriate attire at your child's school event, something is very wrong.

*sigh. These are the same women who complain that they "can't find a man" in the D.C. area. Gee...I wonder why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia