U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 08:59 AM

28 posts, read 73,056 times

Advertisements

We are looking live on Bolling or Ft Belvoir and my husband will work at the Pentagon. Not sure which one to live on??? We will homeschool so schools are not an option. We have 4 kids and a small dog. One kid will be away at college most of the time. Which has the best commute time to the Pentagon? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 09:07 AM

993 posts, read 2,193,412 times
Ft. Belvoir probably gives you the nicer surroundings in a nicer area, but it is further away from the Pentagon. I guess it would depend on the commute that your husband wants to deal with. At the end of the day though, I would probably choose Belvoir. Be advised though that the rush hour times can be hell getting on and off base. Hopefully your husband can have a schedule different from everyone else.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:19 AM

23,628 posts, read 33,413,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtkavm View Post
We are looking live on Bolling or Ft Belvoir and my husband will work at the Pentagon. Not sure which one to live on??? We will homeschool so schools are not an option. We have 4 kids and a small dog. One kid will be away at college most of the time. Which has the best commute time to the Pentagon? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Both are probably a painful commute to the Pentagon. Leaving Bolling you probably have to drive through DC to get to the Pentagon and going up I-295 in the morning is no picnic. At Belvoir, as NewK mentioned it is further and everything going North in Northern Virginia will have traffic in the morning. With Belvoir, you have the option of driving to the Fran-Spr metro and taking the blue line into DC.

With the housing on the bases, Belvoir has newer housing that is nice but I've heard it is a long wait for the newer housing and I've seen the older housing is horrid and small. Bolling also has newer housing but the TH unit my friend lives in was kinda small to me. Also, my friends who live on Bolling AFB hate it and it is right next to one of the most violent neighborhoods in the DC area.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:57 AM

Is driving from either one of the bases the only option? What about shuttles or anything like that?

Old 05-27-2010, 10:17 AM

798 posts, read 2,482,545 times
I think Belvoir is a much better area overall and a better option . I am not sure of the availablilty of housing so you would need to speak directly with the housing offices about that. The metro stops at the Pentagon and is one of the options he should consider. Another very common option to the Pentagon is something called slugging (unofficial car pool) or joiniing a car pool.
If you are on Belvoir, the Franconia Springfield metro stop is an easy trip out the Telegraph gate and a direct shot on the blue line metro. My own opinion is that the trip from Bolling will be a bigger nightmare with less options.

Here are a few links that might help..

Metro - Home page (The trip planner is very helpful)

Slug-Lines.com - Slugging and Slug Lines Information For Washington DC

Metro Bus and Rail

Old 05-27-2010, 10:24 AM

16 posts, read 28,292 times
I use to work on Bolling until just a few months ago.....and have traveled from Bolling to Rosslyn on a few occasions at 0700 in the morning. The traffic going from Bolling to the Pentagon is not bad at all (without any major accidents).

The traffic coming from the Pentagon to Bolling is always a mess in the afternoons, especially on 395 N heading towards 295 S.

Bolling, as one poster mentioned, is next to one of the most violent and crummy neighborhoods in DC. There are shootings at/near the metro stop in Anacostia, one of which was in broad daylight on a weekday about a year and a half ago or so. They have cops on foot patrol there during the morning rush hour and when school lets out in the afternoon.

There is a blue Air Force bus shuttle that picks up at the metro and drops off at points around Bolling but I do not know what their schedule is. Call Bolling to find about this....

The Navy will be taking over Bolling soon and the Navy Gate guards that are already stationed at the north entrance are a lot more strict with respect to giving out tickets to people withy outdated DMV tags/inspection stickers, etc than the Air Force gate guards.

I was happy to get transferred off of Bolling and work at a location in northern VA.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:06 PM

11 posts, read 41,948 times
If schools are not an option then definitely live on Bolling! The commute is not horrendous and there is actually a shuttle from Bolling to the Pentagon throughout the day! The housing sits right on the Potomac and has the best view of the city on the 4th of July!

Old 05-27-2010, 01:12 PM

11 posts, read 41,948 times
If driving is your first option, going thru Alexandria (either take route 1 or the Mount Vernon Pwy) isn't a bad idea! You may sit in some traffic on the Wilson Bridge but for the most part it really is very convenient to the Pentagon.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:14 PM

798 posts, read 2,482,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasellers View Post
If schools are not an option then definitely live on Bolling! The commute is not horrendous and there is actually a shuttle from Bolling to the Pentagon throughout the day! The housing sits right on the Potomac and has the best view of the city on the 4th of July!
Unless it has changed in the last few months, this shuttle does not work to get pople to and from work at the Pentagon.. The first run is after 8:30 and stops around 3. It is meant for folks going back and forth for meetings and not a way to commute to work.
My office moved from Bolling over to Rosslyn VA and while the commute from Alexandria ( I live very close to Belvoir) was not horrible, our trip to Rosslyn (very close to the Pentagon) is much better.
Which does bring up another point, it is not all that uncommon to think you are going to one location in this area but infact your duty section is actually at another location so you might want to suggest your husband ask that question..
Good luck to you!

Old 05-27-2010, 07:29 PM

Thanks so much for all the advice so far. I have checked with housing on both bases and will have housing available for us in 30 to 60 days due to my husbands year long deployment. It places us at the top of the list. True, the shuttle on Bolling is not meant to be used for people going to and from work at the Pentagon. There is actually even a "reg" about it. We know for a fact that he will be working at the Pentagon not another location. We are just trying to find the shortest commute to give him as much family time as possible since he has been gone this past year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia