Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 08:33 PM

11 posts, read 23,145 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I recently placed a bid on a home in Engleside (zip code: 22309). Can anyone tell me anything about the neighborhood in terms of overall safety? Also, could anyone recommend a good pediatrician near by? Thanks so much!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 06:11 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Sarah22 View Post
Hello! My husband and I recently placed a bid on a home in Engleside (zip code: 22309). Can anyone tell me anything about the neighborhood in terms of overall safety? Also, could anyone recommend a good pediatrician near by? Thanks so much!

It definitely aint the safest neighborhood in NoVA being along Rt. 1. But depending on where you are coming from will determine how comfortable you feel in this neighborhood. If you are coming from a big city you can probably live with the nusiances of Rt. 1. You may find it more difficult if you grew up in the suburbs.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:54 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
Quote:

I'm inclined to agree with Alanboy395 that Engleside is not an idyllic suburban neighborhood. Much of the Route 1/Richmond Highway corridor has a reputation for being less safe and pristine than other nearby suburban areas. While it has improved in both ways over the last several years, one could say it hasn't necessarily reached as far south as Engleside.

All of that said, if you have taken a tour around the neighborhood, met a few neighbors and were content with what you saw, then you may be alright. If not then, depending on your preferences, you may be interested in Lorton (south), Gum Springs (northeast), or Kingstowne (northwest).

Old 05-31-2010, 07:26 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Careful here. What are you actually referring to as "Engleside"? Is that the actual name of the neighborhood you're looking at or are you just using 22309's official zip code name (though we put "Alexandria" on our mail)? 22309 also includes some very nice neighborhoods by the Potomac River,including multi-million dollar mansions on the water, and the Mount Vernon Estate (which has its own 22121 zip code). If that's the part of 22309 you're looking at, it's a very safe, upscale, and great place to live. I've been here 20 years and can attest to it.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Careful here. What are you actually referring to as "Engleside"? Is that the actual name of the neighborhood you're looking at or are you just using 22309's official zip code name (though we put "Alexandria" on our mail)? 22309 also includes some very nice neighborhoods by the Potomac River,including multi-million dollar mansions on the water, and the Mount Vernon Estate (which has its own 22121 zip code). If that's the part of 22309 you're looking at, it's a very safe, upscale, and great place to live. I've been here 20 years and can attest to it.
I'm sure the OP will elaborate for themselves but I was thinking more of the neighborhood. I would definitely agree that homes east of Route 1 towards the waterfront are the more desired.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:23 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I'm sure the OP will elaborate for themselves but I was thinking more of the neighborhood. I would definitely agree that homes east of Route 1 towards the waterfront are the more desired.
I was thinking Engelside Dr off Rt 1.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:20 PM

11 posts, read 23,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Sorry for not being very clear-- I'm still trying to figure out why it's located in Fairfax but called Alexandria!

The area I was referring to is near Woodlawn Elementary.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:50 PM

That's West of Route 1. Not the safest spot as there are a lot of low rent apartments around there with some pretty shady characters. Just stay indoors at night and lock your doors. If you can withdraw your bid, I'd do so.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Sorry for not being very clear-- I'm still trying to figure out why it's located in Fairfax but called Alexandria!
There are "two" Alexandrias in a sense: there's the City of Alexandria which is its own jurisdiction...and there is unincorporated Alexandria which is part of Fairfax County. You may hear people refer to different neighborhoods like Engleside, Gum Springs, Belle View, Huntington, Hybla Valley, Mount Vernon, Kingstowne etc. All of these are Alexandria zip codes yet "out in the county".O Yes, it's understandably confusing.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
There are "two" Alexandrias in a sense: there's the City of Alexandria which is its own jurisdiction...and there is unincorporated Alexandria which is part of Fairfax County. You may hear people refer to different neighborhoods like Engleside, Gum Springs, Belle View, Huntington, Hybla Valley, Mount Vernon, Kingstowne etc. All of these are Alexandria zip codes yet "out in the county".O Yes, it's understandably confusing.
There was discussion a while back of having the USPS rename 22309 "Mount Vernon Farms". Don't know what happened to that proposal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia