U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 12:22 PM

200 posts, read 334,507 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am planning a wedding and is looking for a reasonably-priced wedding photographer. I am wondering where should we look? I 've tried craigslist but haven't been very successful so far either the rate they are charging is too high or the quality of photos look really bad.

Any thoughts about where to search for local photographer is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 02:32 PM

3,286 posts, read 5,236,013 times
Aside from the photographer references, try calling an art school/college Photography Dept or college art/photography departments and see if there's anyone there (staff or students) who do this kind of work. You can still take a look at their references, portfolios, and web sites. Good luck!

Old 06-04-2010, 04:34 PM

216 posts, read 393,252 times
Here is someone I know socially whose prices are quite reasonable. I think her portfolio speaks for itself. http://www.denisebeattyphotography.com

Old 06-04-2010, 05:28 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,061,398 times
well someone once told me that it's better to spend the money on a more expensive wedding photgrapher because it's usually the more expensive ones that are the best. I know for the husband it doesn't really matter, but the wedding is a pretty big deal for the wife, for some reason women consider their wedding day one of the most important days of their lives, go figure.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:55 PM

732 posts, read 1,654,009 times
Go to the Canon POTN forums, they have a services needed section:
Classifieds: Services Needed - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Join the forum and post an ad saying you're looking for a photog in the area. You'll get a whole bunch of responses, and several of them are great. I've been a member on that site for a few years now (photography is a hobby of mine), and it's an excellent resource with some incredible photographers. We chose our wedding photographer on there, but you should look through all the portfolios to find the style you want.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:27 AM

2,433 posts, read 1,703,590 times
As someone who just went through the expenses of a wedding I have a word of advise. Do whatever you can and purchase whatever services you can under the guise that it ISNT for a wedding.

When providers see the words wedding, they get cartoonish dollar bill signs for pupils and charge you double. If possible tell the photographer this is a private shoot for a party you are throwing and include all the same aspects as what a wedding photographer would do, but just dont call it a wedding :P

Old 08-06-2013, 10:36 AM

714 posts, read 636,407 times
I'm guessing the wedding has already come and gone since this thread is more than three years old

Old 08-06-2013, 11:18 AM

5,958 posts, read 6,319,761 times
tysonsengineer, are congratulations in order?

Old 08-06-2013, 11:46 AM

2,433 posts, read 1,703,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
tysonsengineer, are congratulations in order?
Yep, officially married

Old 12-06-2014, 03:48 PM

4,285 posts, read 4,066,765 times
We used a fantastic photographer named Carl Bower, but he moved to Denver. (However, his website seems to imply he'll fly anywhere for the right price.) We like the documentary style (black and white with mostly unposed, candid shots); I recall another highly regarded photographer in that style (and still in this area) is Michelle Frankfurter.

Carl wasn't cheap--I think we paid around $5000, and that was pushing 10 years ago--but of all the wedding-related things you'll spend money on, the photos are just about the only ones that endure. Unless you go all J. Peterman and preserve a slice of wedding cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia