U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-06-2010, 05:25 AM

1,200 posts, read 1,197,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Lovely. Another "revenue" post. You are wrong but based on the past you don't care about facts. There is no Driving to Endanger law in Va.
Oh sorry, Reckless Driving here in VA. I won't insult you, but you fit in with the other ticket issuing apologist on here. Read this (there are hundreds more if you want to educate yourself):

Virginia Hands Out 6996 Traffic Tickets In One Weekend In An Effort To Raise Revenue For The State Government

and stop posting garbage please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-06-2010, 08:39 AM

3,665 posts, read 4,115,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Oh sorry, Reckless Driving here in VA. I won't insult you, but you fit in with the other ticket issuing apologist on here. Read this (there are hundreds more if you want to educate yourself):

Virginia Hands Out 6996 Traffic Tickets In One Weekend In An Effort To Raise Revenue For The State Government

and stop posting garbage please.
Oh yeah. A very CREDIBLE and non biased article. Do you really believe street officers give a rats ass about revenue? They don't. I was a street cop for 30 years and the word revenue never came up in any conversation at my former job. The monies to to a state education fund for the most part and NEVER back to the PD or it's officers. Some small towns may be different but the larger departments, where most tickets are written, see none of the money.

To read garbage read your attached article.

Unread 06-06-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Oh yeah. A very CREDIBLE and non biased article. Do you really believe street officers give a rats ass about revenue? They don't. I was a street cop for 30 years and the word revenue never came up in any conversation at my former job. The monies to to a state education fund for the most part and NEVER back to the PD or it's officers. Some small towns may be different but the larger departments, where most tickets are written, see none of the money.

To read garbage read your attached article.
I don't understand some of the ex-LEO's that post here. Intellectually, are you not able to make the distinction between policy and the officers themselves? It doesn't matter a twit what the officers think, feel, or talk about. When they are assigned to blitz for speeding violations, it's to raise revenue.

Let me quote a little of the article that you obviously didn't read:
""The purpose of the civil remedial fees imposed in this section is to generate revenue." (Virginia Code 46.2-206.1)"

What about that don't you comprehend? No one blames the officers, the policy turns them into glorified meter maids and its deplorable. We have thousands of highly trained and dedicated officers that are taken from using those skills and relegated to raising money. I'd rather have them driving around looking for OUI's or stranded motorists or armed robbers or.........

Just some advice, stop being so defensive... it isn't about you or your buddies.

Unread 06-06-2010, 09:20 AM

3,844 posts, read 5,676,989 times
Okay, traffic enforcement is an obvious revenue grab. Everybody knows it. So why do the morons keep speeding and then whine when they get caught? Pretty stupid.

Oh, how I wish the other gubmint revenue grabs were so easy to avoid...this coming week, I will be making the first installment payment on my (six figure) 2010 IRS tab....it'd be great if a slight behavior modification would allow me to keep my money!

Unread 06-06-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Okay, traffic enforcement is an obvious revenue grab. Everybody knows it. So why do the morons keep speeding and then whine when they get caught? Pretty stupid.

Oh, how I wish the other gubmint revenue grabs were so easy to avoid...this coming week, I will be making the first installment payment on my (six figure) 2010 IRS tab....it'd be great if a slight behavior modification would allow me to keep my money!
I agree, if you speed, accept the ticket as part of the cost of speeding. I won't start my insurance company rant lol.

Unread 06-06-2010, 11:00 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,429,035 times
You know....I've been alive almost 44 years. I've been driving since I was 15 years old. I've driven in small southern towns and in huge cities all over this country. Yet somehow I've managed not get get ticketed. Why is that? Surely, there were cities and counties seeking revenue in at least some of these areas.

I live in Fairfax County, Virginia now. Still, I've managed to avoid the evil law enforcement officers and their ticket crazy writing hands.

Why do you think that might be? Could it possible be that I follow the very simple to understand traffic laws? And contrary to what you say, bangore, I don't see traffic cops as "glorified meter maids" at all. I see them doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing...keeping idiots who can't follow the rules in check by fining them. And when these drivers get enough fines, hopefully, they lose their licenses so the rest of us aren't endangered by people who can't follow the simple rules of the road.

Unread 06-06-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post

I live in Fairfax County, Virginia now. Still, I've managed to avoid the evil law enforcement officers and their ticket crazy writing hands.

Why do you think that might be? Could it possible be that I follow the very simple to understand traffic laws? And contrary to what you say, bangore, I don't see traffic cops as "glorified meter maids" at all. I see them doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing...keeping idiots who can't follow the rules in check by fining them. And when these drivers get enough fines, hopefully, they lose their licenses so the rest of us aren't endangered by people who can't follow the simple rules of the road.
Good for you OldMiss. We have that in common (that's a lie, I got a ticket the day after I got my license 40 years ago... got grounded for it). I'm not sure what a "traffic cop" is, but I certainly wouldn't want to be referred as such.

Anyway, I honestly don't understand how people speed here, but they do. And they roll their cars over in the weirdest places, like Beulah Street here in Alexandria. You wouldn't think they could go fast enough to roll a car, but they manage to.

Oh, thanks for teaching me how to bold.

Unread 06-06-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I don't understand some of the ex-LEO's that post here. Intellectually, are you not able to make the distinction between policy and the officers themselves? It doesn't matter a twit what the officers think, feel, or talk about. When they are assigned to blitz for speeding violations, it's to raise revenue.

Let me quote a little of the article that you obviously didn't read:
""The purpose of the civil remedial fees imposed in this section is to generate revenue." (Virginia Code 46.2-206.1)"

What about that don't you comprehend? No one blames the officers, the policy turns them into glorified meter maids and its deplorable. We have thousands of highly trained and dedicated officers that are taken from using those skills and relegated to raising money. I'd rather have them driving around looking for OUI's or stranded motorists or armed robbers or.........

Just some advice, stop being so defensive... it isn't about you or your buddies.

I'll quit being defensive when you quit being wrong. This law you posted in part was REPEALED in 2008. This was the law where severe penalties were incorporated for VA residents for serious offenses such as Reckless, Driving on Suspended, DUI and a few others. The revenue was referring to the extra fines to be collected for these offenses which could have been as high as $3500 if I recall right. They did NOT apply to general driving violations such as speeding, red lights and hundreds as others.
46.2-206.1.
Repealed by Acts 2008, cc. 656 and 657, cl. 1, effective March 27, 2008.

Now will you finally admit you are wrong---again?

Unread 06-06-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I'll quit being defensive when you quit being wrong. This law you posted in part was REPEALED in 2008. This was the law where severe penalties were incorporated for VA residents for serious offenses such as Reckless, Driving on Suspended, DUI and a few others. The revenue was referring to the extra fines to be collected for these offenses which could have been as high as $3500 if I recall right. They did NOT apply to general driving violations such as speeding, red lights and hundreds as others.
46.2-206.1.
Repealed by Acts 2008, cc. 656 and 657, cl. 1, effective March 27, 2008.

Now will you finally admit you are wrong---again?
LOL, yeah the article was wrong and I cited it. Here are some more.

Traffic fines a reliable — and growing — revenue stream for local government | Lynchburg News Advance (http://www2.newsadvance.com/lna/news/local/article/traffic_fines_a_reliable_and_growing_revenue_strea m_for_local_government/27442/ - broken link)

or this one:

Virginia state troopers hand out 7,016 tickets in one weekend - egmCarTech

or this one:

Virginia Troopers Become Tax Collectors for a Weekend - Auto Observer

Rip these apart and I'll cite another 100 or so.

Do you even know what you are arguing about? Take the blinders off and watch the NASCAR race. I'm hoping Martin makes a comeback.

But I give up. I want to see the results of the OP case and don't want the thread locked.

Last edited by bangorme; 06-06-2010 at 02:32 PM..

Unread 06-06-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
LOL, yeah the article was wrong and I cited it. Here are some more.

Traffic fines a reliable and growing revenue stream for local government | Lynchburg News Advance (http://www2.newsadvance.com/lna/news/local/article/traffic_fines_a_reliable_and_growing_revenue_strea m_for_local_government/27442/ - broken link)

or this one:

Virginia state troopers hand out 7,016 tickets in one weekend - egmCarTech

or this one:

Virginia Troopers Become Tax Collectors for a Weekend - Auto Observer

Rip these apart and I cite another 100 or so.

Do you even know what you are arguing about? Take the blinders off and watch the NASCAR race. I'm hoping Martin makes a comeback.

Yeah. Thanks to the troopers the education fund will grow thanks to the drivers on Va roads. Too bad it won't benefit the state police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia