U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-05-2010, 02:20 PM

154 posts, read 279,694 times
Talking Do you love your neighborhood and Why?

I used this site a few months back when my hubby and I were frantically trying to find a place to settle down in VA. There were so many of you on here who were unbelievably helpful. Your knowledge and opinions were priceless!

I now have people writing me and asking me how did our move turn out for us and I have to say that I LOVE Falls Church! Every day that I pull up into my neighborhood, I can't believe my hubby and I with our two little guys live here! Everything is more beautiful than I remember VA with the trees that turn green, yellow, orange and pink and white (thank you Cherry Blossom season)! The diverse people, great restaurants, shopping and the lists goes on and on.

We have ventured out to many parks and there is so much to do here that we were at first overwhelmed.

We wanted to rent first so we can get an idea of where we want to buy without buying then hating that we bought in an area that we didn't love. And I am glad that we waited because when we buy, we'll know we are making the best possible decision for ourselves and our family.

The only thing that I don't love about Falls Church is our son's elementary school. I wanted him to have more homework so I could keep up with exactly what he is learning in school. His school in GA gave him homework every night except Fridays and it worked out great. It was just a worksheet but enough to allow me to know what my son was learning each day and I could go over his work with him. But I do look over the work that comes home with my son to make sure he is doing well and understanding the concepts of his education.

I also think his school isn't very friendly to us. We had to request a Parent/Teacher conference because they seemed to have no interest in having a sit-down with us. Then one day our son's other teacher saw us in the grocery store and she talked to my son for about 10 minutes before she introduced herself. When we dropped our son off on his first day of school, the rude teacher was explained to be another kindergarten teacher. I didn't know until later that she would have such a large part in my son's life, almost acting as an assistant to his main teacher. So we are planning to move to find a school that we like more because our children's school is extremely important to us. If some of you remember, my sons' education was largely what we based our move off of. And I have had parents ask me about how our move went because the school system is very important to them too.

Nevertheless, I love our youngest son's daycare. He is excelling as well and learning Spanish. The teachers at his daycare are unbelievably sweet and attentive. And the bonus is that their daycare is literally down the street from our home which makes it easy to pick them up after a long day of work. I would literally stay in the vicinity of their daycare but move away from the elementary school then everything will be perfect in our new city that we call home.

The bonus of living in Falls Church is that we are in the middle of everything. We mostly moved here because we weren't sure where we'd be working and it was a smart move because I have had two jobs already as a Contractor but my commute has been relatively painless to get to for both, being under about 30 minutes max.

I wanted to thank everyone again for all your awesome advice. I am thinking of putting in for a GS job for more stability.

Currently, we are thinking of moving soon because we are feeling ready to buy our first home and we don't love our oldest son's school. It's not the curriculum but the snobby teachers that are putting us off from it. I still believe Fairfax County can have the best schools around.

MD seems to have homes that are more the size of what we want with a good deal of land included for our 2 little boys but we are concerned about the culture, crime and schools. However, like I did before, I will be doing a lot of research before our next move...which I have already started! Hopefully, this next move will be our last move for at least a few years until we can get into the house that we want to raise our sons.

I would actually prefer to stay in Northern VA. This is where I am from and I LOVE it here but I am not sure which type of home I will be ok living in. I kind of want a SFH but I don't mind a good-size TH with a basement and yard. I'm keeping my eyes and ears open...lol.

If anyone has any great advice on some neighborhoods that they love that caters to families with younger children, I would love to hear about them! We also want to get a dog once we buy our first home, which is going to be super exciting. We love dogs but have never lived in a dog-friendly home/neighborhood.

I hope I was able to help someone too. Take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 02:54 PM

14,141 posts, read 14,849,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAChick View Post
If anyone has any great advice on some neighborhoods that they love that caters to families with younger children, I would love to hear about them! We also want to get a dog once we buy our first home, which is going to be super exciting. We love dogs but have never lived in a dog-friendly home/neighborhood.

I hope I was able to help someone too. Take care.
Take a drive down GW Parkway some Sunday South of Alexandria, go to some open houses in the neighborhoods off of it and see if you like the homes along there. They are older, well established, with decent lot sizes, and kid and dog friendly. Plus there's the parkway path along the river and Old Town is close by for great shopping and dining. I've lived here 20 years with kids and dogs and highly recommend it.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:10 PM

216 posts, read 365,252 times
What part of Falls Church are you in? Falls Church City schools? Or Fairfax County? You may be able to find a school you like and stay in Falls Church.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:24 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,805,949 times
These homes feed into Sunrise Valley Elementary which my friends rave about.

1862 POST OAK TRL, RESTON, VA 20191 - HomesDatabase
1826 POST OAK TRL, RESTON, VA 20191 - HomesDatabase
10818 OLDFIELD DR, RESTON, VA 20191 - HomesDatabase
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia