Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 01:23 AM

300 posts, read 1,257,795 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what the general attitude is if you live in a townhouse in NoVa. Is it looked down on? Are SFH strongly preferred? Will people think we are "poor" if we live in a townhouse?

Im from Southern CA, and we don't really have a lot of "townhouses"....its pretty much SFH and apartments/condos (pretty much the same thing, but with a "condo" you get a carport and typically an independent owner). Its obviously more desirable, especially once you reach a "certain age" and/or have a family, to live in a SFH, rather than an apartment. People would assume you didn't have a good job, or didn't have a lot of money if you lived in an apartment with a family or well into your professional life. The only exception is a condo right on the beach, and even then, in your beach community, you would be the pauper if you were to live there with a family (single and/or elderly, not a big deal, oddly!).

Is that the same attitude in NoVa for townhouse dwellers? Or is it looked at pretty much as a SFH? From what I have seen, they are typically as large, sq. ft. wise, as SFH. Just wondering what the general attitude is since you guys have apts/condos, townhouses and SFH housing out there.

Also, I find it interesting that sometimes townhouse is used interchangeably with "condo", when they are two distinct types of structures. Is this just a NoVa thing? To use the two terms interchangeably?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 01:53 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,508,755 times
Do people really fret over stuff like this in L.A.? Generally, most people you work with here couldn't care less where you live, or what car you drive, for that matter. Live where you're most comfortable. Find what works for you and your family. Unlike other parts of the country, there's a distinction here between townhomes and condos. Townhomes are very popular here and there certainly isn't any shame involved. Ditto with condos.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:00 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,058,991 times
Because real estate in general is so expensive here, there's less of a stigma about living in a townhouse. We lived in a townhouse in Alexandria for ten years before moving to a SFH in Loudoun. I never felt any stigma--hell, we had hardly any yard work to do! That said, I know it's not the same in other parts of the country. I have a friend who grew up in NoVa and then moved to Texas. She said there's a big stigma like the one you mentioned in California.

And you can find jerks wherever you go. I've had people ask me which end of our street we live on, one end having larger homes, the other smaller. My attitude is you need to do what's best for your family, including finding housing you can afford.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:30 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
No.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:36 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
No, townhomes are not looked down upon.

I think of a condo as being a unit in which you as the homeowner have no outside maintenance. We lived in a "townhome style" condo for about 8 years. We owned the townhome from the slab up, but none of the yard. It was all common.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:52 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppyglam View Post
Just wondering what the general attitude is if you live in a townhouse in NoVa. Is it looked down on? Are SFH strongly preferred? Will people think we are "poor" if we live in a townhouse?

Im from Southern CA, and we don't really have a lot of "townhouses"....its pretty much SFH and apartments/condos (pretty much the same thing, but with a "condo" you get a carport and typically an independent owner). Its obviously more desirable, especially once you reach a "certain age" and/or have a family, to live in a SFH, rather than an apartment. People would assume you didn't have a good job, or didn't have a lot of money if you lived in an apartment with a family or well into your professional life. The only exception is a condo right on the beach, and even then, in your beach community, you would be the pauper if you were to live there with a family (single and/or elderly, not a big deal, oddly!).

Is that the same attitude in NoVa for townhouse dwellers? Or is it looked at pretty much as a SFH? From what I have seen, they are typically as large, sq. ft. wise, as SFH. Just wondering what the general attitude is since you guys have apts/condos, townhouses and SFH housing out there.

Also, I find it interesting that sometimes townhouse is used interchangeably with "condo", when they are two distinct types of structures. Is this just a NoVa thing? To use the two terms interchangeably?
Looked downed upon? Not here. I and many others would have been more than happy to live in a townhome back in NoVA.

Last edited by The Dissenter; 06-08-2010 at 06:33 AM..

Old 06-08-2010, 06:10 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
This preoccupation with worrying about what others thinks baffles me. Why does it matter what others think of you? In this world it is really simple no matter where you are, there will be those that like you and there will be those that don't.

But to answer the OP's question, if one is looked down upon because they live in a th then there are alot of people in NOVAthat are looked down upon. I am so glad I am way past the stage of worrying about what others think if me, it sure frees me up to expend my energy on other things.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:16 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
With housing cost what they are consider yourself lucky to afford a home vice renting.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:40 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,199,537 times
I love living in a townhouse. No yardwork, close to everything, not mortgage poor, have lots of nice neighbors in a beautiful and maintained neighborhood.

Last edited by bangorme; 06-08-2010 at 06:48 AM..

Old 06-08-2010, 07:16 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,961,642 times
There are some condo townhouses in my community near the Donald Trump Golf Club that are in the $800,000 range. I don't think anyone looks down on them, it is more than a lot of people pay for a detached home . I live in an apartment style condo and I don't think anyone looks down on me.

Condo is a form of ownership, you own the structure but not the ground it is built on and the exterior is maintained by the condo association. The structure can be a townhouse or an apartment style home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia