Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Main Street be extended from "Munster/Dyer" into Lynwood, IL?
YES! 22 78.57%
NO! 6 21.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 03:33 PM

13 posts, read 16,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Personally, I support the extension. For one, it is a pain in the butt to drive all the way to 45th to get into Illinois if you are coming from Main Street. Another reason is because West Lakes of Munster NEEDS a south entrance into the subdivision. It is so isolated from the rest of town and when FCC is holding services, it is nearly impossible to quickly enter and exit the subdivision. Even though FCC is moving, they will still be holding events at the Munster location, so traffic will still be an issue. Another reason is because if a proposed commuter station is to ever be built along the current Amtrak line, this would be a GREAT location for it. If you look at the Munster Comprehensive plan, you can see. Also, this will spur continued development not only for Munster, but for Lynwood as well. If Main Street were to be extended as a four lane road, it would be amazing! I would definitely welcome this long overdue extension.
I am a member at FCC and the funny thing is is that FCC is moving to Lynwood where the future corner of Joe Orr rd and Burnham will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
who pays for this? munster taxpayers ? Lynwood taxpayers? both? hey NWI as a Munster taxpayer, you would welcome higher taxes as a result of this?
Local tax payers. I looked on IDOT's site plan and this project along with the widening project on Wentworth Ave in Lansing is listed under "other" in the developer tap. Every other project, IDOT is building.

Quote:
That is a good point. And you are correct, that anything to help relieve the traffic (and spur economic development) should be welcomed! However, it seems as though some of the residents in a Dyer subdivision, that would be directly south of the Main street extension, do not welcome this idea.

This article is a few years old but still very relevant today:

Dyer planning for Main Street project

This next article is from 2006. It pretty much is a quick overview on the why's, how's, and when's of the project. The basic reasons of the project is still the same today.

Main Street extension not so far off
I live in Lynwood and our mayor is really looking forward to this project. He even mailed out maps of the project that showed where the proposed shopping centers will be. They look HUGE! Not those little strip malls you see in Dyer, but Huge big box centers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighthood82 View Post
It would do very little to nothing to alleviate traffic on 30 but would just create more in the already overcongested Calumet Ave. corridor. There's no interchange to Joe Orr Rd. from 394 so who really needs a quicker route from Ford Heights/Chicago Heights to Munster/Dyer?
Right but you could exit at Glenwood Dyer Rd east and take it to the new Joe Orr rd intersection. However, there are plans to turn 394 into a full Interstate from I-80/94/294 all the way down to I-57 where it would meet I-355 just south of Monee when that route is extended. It will be called I-394. If this happens, there would be an exit to/ from Joe Orr to the new I-394.

Here's the exit list- Towns severed listed in green.

Exit 1 Glenwood Dyer Road Glenwood-Lynwood
Exit 2 Joe Orr Rd Chicago Heights-Lynwood
Exit 3 US 30 Lincoln Hwy Ford/Chicago Heights-Lynwood
Exit 4 Sauk Trail South Chicago Hts.-Sauk Village
Exit 5 Steger Rd Steger-Dyer,IN
Exit 6 Exchange St Crete-St.John,IN
Exit 7 IL 1 Dixie Hwy Crete-Beecher
Exit 8 Nacke Rd/Goodenow Rd University Park
Exit 9 Governors Hwy Monee- Peotone
Exit 10 FINAL EXIT for I-394- I-57 to Chicago and Kankakee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 01:39 PM

7 posts, read 17,243 times
Quote:
Do you support the extension of Main Street from Munster/Dyer into Lynwood?
Yes, I do.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:17 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood~Fox View Post

I live in Lynwood and our mayor is really looking forward to this project. He even mailed out maps of the project that showed where the proposed shopping centers will be. They look HUGE! Not those little strip malls you see in Dyer, but Huge big box centers.
I would be skeptical of those projects. There is so much shopping everywhere and the Economy is so weak, that it may not be a wise move in the near future. I don't see things improving much anytime soon, both nationwide and in Illinois (which is in the worst fiscal shape of any state).

Old 09-16-2012, 05:44 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,491,199 times
Default Update

Wow, I haven't realized that this thread has not been updated in this long.

The Town of Munster has acquired the property at 10450 Columbia Ave, in Munster. I believe they would also need to acquire its next door neighbor to the south, 500 Sheffield Ave, in Dyer in order to pretty much solidify any extension.

Although the primary purpose of the project is to extend to Lynwood, if Main Street is at least extended to the point where West Lakes of Munster could have a second entrance/exit, that would alleviate MANY issues.

Of course, there has been opposition from residents in the Meadows of Dyer subdivision. However, I am wondering if only extending so that each of these subdivisions could have new entry/exits and NOT extend to the state line/Joe Orr Rd would be a good compromise?

Any input is appreciated!

Old 03-24-2013, 02:03 PM

Default Update

Dyer discusses proposed Main Street extension on Thursday

Old 03-31-2013, 09:36 AM

Default Another Update

So, as a commenter stated on this article. It seems like it is just becoming clear that this will be a 4-lane extension as opposed to a two lane (or even a three lane like how S Columbia and Sheffield are). Thoughts?

Main Street extension talks anger Dyer residents

My thoughts are that Main St should have been at least a 3 lane road from Sheffield to Indianapolis Blvd.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:50 PM

144 posts, read 182,911 times
Any updates?

Old 12-22-2014, 03:03 AM

224 posts, read 310,471 times
Quote:
So, as a commenter stated on this article. It seems like it is just becoming clear that this will be a 4-lane extension as opposed to a two lane (or even a three lane like how S Columbia and Sheffield are). Thoughts?

Main Street extension talks anger Dyer residents

My thoughts are that Main St should have been at least a 3 lane road from Sheffield to Indianapolis Blvd.
I think 4 lanes with a landscaped median would make the area appear more upscale. Think Fran Lane Parkway in Munster. BTW, Lynwood is continuing its portion of the project next year.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 1,823 times
They need to do it. Congestion is very heavy now.................especially with the railroad coming in.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:10 PM

815 posts, read 2,998,094 times
Boy, this "project" has gone absolutely nowhere since this thread was created.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana