U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Would you support the "West Lake Corridor" NICTD (South Shore rail) service extension?
YES! 35 89.74%
NO! 4 10.26%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-06-2010, 09:27 AM
 
3,483 posts, read 4,437,324 times
Reputation: 2051
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I see your sentiments. I guess my point was that when I lived in Valpo, the people who opposed the South Shore coming into Valpo made it about socio-economic class and I found that offensive. They were looking at the South Shore coming into Valpo as "oh nooooooo ... we're going to become Gary!!" Which is wrong.

I remember talking to one of your collegues when we were interviewing realtors to sell our house in Valpo. He specifically made it clear that his office courted Chicagoans to move to Valpo. What do you expect? People want it all ... they want the lifestyle, but they also want the conveniences. I'm not entirely clear on what the downside to the South Shore coming into Valpo is ... specifically? When we lived in Valpo, it was a housing boom ... neighborhoods popping up everywhere ... new shopping centers .... suburbia in full effect. Seemed that the Valpo glitterati dug the money that it generated, maybe now, not so much????
My broker specifically courts Chicagoans as well ... but that's the business I suppose.

I thought I was pretty clear on what the downside would be - more suburban sprawl and less of a small town atmosphere.

Btw, when you say glitterati, who do you mean exactly? The old timers? The new, in the last decade residents? Because I wouldn't ever think to refer to long time Porter county people as "glitterati".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-06-2010, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Turn Left at Greenland
17,574 posts, read 24,233,244 times
Reputation: 7482
I say glitterati in terms of old timers ... the ones who call the shots and won't let newcomers into their circles.
__________________
If there won't be dancing at the revolution, I'm not coming.
Emma Goldman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2010, 10:03 AM
 
632 posts, read 983,894 times
Reputation: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
My broker specifically courts Chicagoans as well ... but that's the business I suppose.

I thought I was pretty clear on what the downside would be - more suburban sprawl and less of a small town atmosphere.

Btw, when you say glitterati, who do you mean exactly? The old timers? The new, in the last decade residents? Because I wouldn't ever think to refer to long time Porter county people as "glitterati".
I used to live in Valpo too and I've heard this story a million times. The problem is that the old timers I've spoken with don't want the town to develop more than it already is, but at the same time they sure do love their property values rising (at least until lately) and the benefits from a town growing. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Things change, places change, it's called reality in the world we live in. If you think about it, this would be a change that most would consider to be positive, being higher polulation, likely higher property values, etc. I wouldn't be complaining much about that kind of change after seeing the kind of change in Gary over the last 40 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2010, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Turn Left at Greenland
17,574 posts, read 24,233,244 times
Reputation: 7482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
My broker specifically courts Chicagoans as well ... but that's the business I suppose.

I thought I was pretty clear on what the downside would be - more suburban sprawl and less of a small town atmosphere.

Btw, when you say glitterati, who do you mean exactly? The old timers? The new, in the last decade residents? Because I wouldn't ever think to refer to long time Porter county people as "glitterati".
wonder if we are talking about the same broker
__________________
If there won't be dancing at the revolution, I'm not coming.
Emma Goldman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2010, 12:51 PM
 
3,483 posts, read 4,437,324 times
Reputation: 2051
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I say glitterati in terms of old timers ... the ones who call the shots and won't let newcomers into their circles.
Gotcha. I thought you meant the ladies who lunch in Aberdeen.


Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
I used to live in Valpo too and I've heard this story a million times. The problem is that the old timers I've spoken with don't want the town to develop more than it already is, but at the same time they sure do love their property values rising (at least until lately) and the benefits from a town growing. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Things change, places change, it's called reality in the world we live in. If you think about it, this would be a change that most would consider to be positive, being higher polulation, likely higher property values, etc. I wouldn't be complaining much about that kind of change after seeing the kind of change in Gary over the last 40 years.
And on the flip side, people move out here for the quieter, calmer way of life ... you can't expect that to stay the same with one hand and pay the fare at the Valpo SS Station with the other. THAT'S the overwhelming problem that people from this county have when it comes to outsiders. (And make no mistake, I'm definitely considered an outsider too ... and that's okay. Because I am.) They'd gladly share their community with everyone - they have - but don't try and make it into the same something that you left Illinois for.

As far as property values ... eh, paper gains, paper losses - because most of those old timers aren't selling anytime soon.

And sometimes people want change and then regret it. Have you seen the President's popularity polls lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
wonder if we are talking about the same broker
LOL! I don't think so ... my broker's a she.

.........

If popular vote wanted the train station in Valpo, I'm pretty damn sure Costas would've found a way to make that happen. But right now, it's not what the majority wants ... it is, what it is.

You don't have to like it, or even agree with it. People here like the status quo ... is that so bad? Great schools, good community, low taxes, decent property values (even now), low crime ... so what if the train never comes? They've been fine without it since Amtrack left ... and they'll be just fine (or they'll move to Chesterton) without it for the forseeable future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2010, 10:58 PM
 
1,363 posts, read 1,974,518 times
Reputation: 577
Valpo may not need commuter rail, but Munster, Dyer, and St. John sure do! In addition to cutting commute times for riders from these towns, the train extension will spur development and redevelopment in these towns. It will make it even more attractive to live in these towns. Take Munster for example. The area that is currently Lake Business Center is slated to be redeveloped into "Munster Town Center" with high-end shops, restaurants, and luxury condos. If the train comes first, which makes sense, then this town center would be MUCH more likely to become reality! It would essentially become Munster's new downtown. In Dyer, the line runs directly east of Dyer's downtown and if a station were put there, there would be much more activity in the area (which already has a good amount of activity). For St. John, this same line runs directly next to Lake Hills and right by downtown St. John. Development there would be sure to fill. I just don't see the downside to all of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2010, 11:03 PM
 
Location: On the Rails in Northern NJ
12,336 posts, read 12,972,478 times
Reputation: 4240
What are the chances of Indiana building a state wide Rail network or connecting its major cities? And Who owns NICTD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2010, 03:26 AM
 
1,363 posts, read 1,974,518 times
Reputation: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
What are the chances of Indiana building a state wide Rail network or connecting its major cities? And Who owns NICTD?
The chances are slim if it is just Indiana alone. However, if Chicago started as a hub for high-speed rail, the chances that Indiana would invest is much higher.

To answer your next question, NICTD is the company that runs the South Shore Line. So they are not owned by any other company (as far as I know).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2010, 06:42 AM
 
Location: Turn Left at Greenland
17,574 posts, read 24,233,244 times
Reputation: 7482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Valpo may not need commuter rail, but Munster, Dyer, and St. John sure do! In addition to cutting commute times for riders from these towns, the train extension will spur development and redevelopment in these towns. It will make it even more attractive to live in these towns. Take Munster for example. The area that is currently Lake Business Center is slated to be redeveloped into "Munster Town Center" with high-end shops, restaurants, and luxury condos. If the train comes first, which makes sense, then this town center would be MUCH more likely to become reality! It would essentially become Munster's new downtown. In Dyer, the line runs directly east of Dyer's downtown and if a station were put there, there would be much more activity in the area (which already has a good amount of activity). For St. John, this same line runs directly next to Lake Hills and right by downtown St. John. Development there would be sure to fill. I just don't see the downside to all of this?
It will be interesting to see! If the South Shore runs toward Crown Point ... you'll see a lot more Chicago commuters moving in for sure! They won't look into Porter county south of Chesterton anymore. Sorry Valpo ...
__________________
If there won't be dancing at the revolution, I'm not coming.
Emma Goldman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2010, 09:46 AM
 
1,363 posts, read 1,974,518 times
Reputation: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
It will be interesting to see! If the South Shore runs toward Crown Point ... you'll see a lot more Chicago commuters moving in for sure! They won't look into Porter county south of Chesterton anymore. Sorry Valpo ...
But it seems like that is what most Valpo/Chesterton residents want anyway LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top