Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 11:23 AM

2,154 posts, read 5,448,913 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I have some questions about Winfield, IN.

Even though the town is incorporated (since 1993), it does not have its own post office, school system, or police protection. Why is this? Also when I try to search for homes on Realtor.com, it does not recognize Winfield as a town. Any guess as to why it won't?

Does anybody know of any advantage of living in Winfield as opposed to Crown Point? Winfield uses Crown Point schools so I know I know that schools are not an advantage. Also, it seems as though the price of housing is similar across both towns. Is there anybody out there who is very familiar with both towns who can offer some opinions/facts about Winfield?

The reason why I am asking is because it is one of the few towns in the area that I do not really know much about and for my personal knowledge, I would like to learn more about it. The only things I know about the town is that it is located by Lakes of the Four Seasons (LOFS) and is home to the subdivision, Deer Creek Estates by Precision Construction.

I also think this would be a good way to get the name out there so that people will know that it is not just an "area of Crown Point" but rather an actual town. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 12:11 PM

16,817 posts, read 14,206,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Hey everyone! I have some questions about Winfield, IN.

Even though the town is incorporated (since 1993), it does not have its own post office, school system, or police protection. Why is this? Also when I try to search for homes on Realtor.com, it does not recognize Winfield as a town. Any guess as to why it won't?

Does anybody know of any advantage of living in Winfield as opposed to Crown Point? Winfield uses Crown Point schools so I know I know that schools are not an advantage. Also, it seems as though the price of housing is similar across both towns. Is there anybody out there who is very familiar with both towns who can offer some opinions/facts about Winfield?

The reason why I am asking is because it is one of the few towns in the area that I do not really know much about and for my personal knowledge, I would like to learn more about it. The only things I know about the town is that it is located by Lakes of the Four Seasons (LOFS) and is home to the subdivision, Deer Creek Estates by Precision Construction.

I also think this would be a good way to get the name out there so that people will know that it is not just an "area of Crown Point" but rather an actual town. Thanks!
There are lots of places in NWI that are kinda caught in between. Shorewood, Washington Township, Lake Eliza, Miller, Calumet Township, Boone Grove ... towns don't match the school district, they're served by different police departments, etc.

LOFS is a perfect example ... heck, LOFS straddles two counties.

There really isn't much to Winfield at all. Crown Point has the square. Winfield has a strip mall.

Having a Crown Point address can put you miles - I think up to 15 miles - apart. You can live by Deep River Waterpark and have a CP address (though that's Ross Township & you'd have Merrillville schools) ... or live right near Cedar Lake and have CP address. The distinction with Winfield vs. Crown Point would really depend on where you commuted each day and what kind of subdivision or in town living you preferred.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:14 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,107,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
There are lots of places in NWI that are kinda caught in between. Shorewood, Washington Township, Lake Eliza, Miller, Calumet Township, Boone Grove ... towns don't match the school district, they're served by different police departments, etc.

LOFS is a perfect example ... heck, LOFS straddles two counties.

There really isn't much to Winfield at all. Crown Point has the square. Winfield has a strip mall.

Having a Crown Point address can put you miles - I think up to 15 miles - apart. You can live by Deep River Waterpark and have a CP address (though that's Ross Township & you'd have Merrillville schools) ... or live right near Cedar Lake and have CP address. The distinction with Winfield vs. Crown Point would really depend on where you commuted each day and what kind of subdivision or in town living you preferred.
I think this is accurate. Winfield has a lot of nice subdivisions in a more rural setting. At the sime time, it is only a few miles from the conveniences larger cities like CP, Merrillville, Valparaiso, etc. and its residents enjoy the benefits of good schools. Also, I'd assume it is attractive for people looking to build rather than buy simply because there is more open land over there.

And if these aren't the reasons, then it has to be something because it is a very rapidly growing area. Winfield, Indiana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-14-2010, 02:52 PM

815 posts, read 2,983,086 times
Some of it is due to its "newness". Since its only been incorporated since 1993, its going to take time to be similar to the towns that have been around for 100 years or so. Even Merrillville has new town problems (incorporated 1971) on occasion. Plus Winfield was carved out of space the surrounding towns once thought they would one day have so that's why they have different school districts and zip codes.

It would be pretty costly to start a police department from nothing in today's world. The requirements would be endless. The other towns had decades to develop their departments to the point they are today. Until the 1970's Highland only had about 4 full time police officers (they have about 40 today). Do they really need their own department? IMHO not really, the county covers it just fine. If anything we need to combine departments, not create new ones.

Winfield will be very lucky to get it own post office someday. My guess is that is still a decade or two away before they start talking about it. The federal government works very slowly on things like new post offices (South Holland Illinois has been planning a new post office for more then 30 years now and they are no closer to it then they were 20 years ago).

Winfield is coming along fine it seems to me anyway. Some people don't want all that stuff anyway. Its actually one of the reasons it exists, some of the people there didn't want to be part of Merrillville or Crown Point so they created Winfield to stay out of those towns. So there would be people against adding a lot of things quickly like police departments.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:21 PM

I just remembered ... Winfield DOES have it's own post office ...

It's tucked in the back left hand corner of Fagen Pharmacy!

I forgot all about that! LOL!!

Old 09-14-2010, 03:30 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your input! I appreciate it!

There is still one thing I do question. Exactly how big does Winfield want to get? According to city-data, Winfield is currently 12.3 sq. miles. This is slightly smaller than the size of Schererville. I honestly do not feel that Winfield will grow to be as dense and crowded as Schererville (or for that matter, Munster). But with that much area, a population like that of Schererville could eventually be reality. Yet, it seems that while Winfield is looking for space to grow into (it has annexed some land and may annex more), it seems as if the town is looking to stay away from becoming "just another suburb". If people are looking for a quiet setting in Winfield, do they realize that it may probably not remain that way OR are there protections (such as a forest or greenspace preserve) that will be sure to inhibit much more residential/commercial development from taking place?

Also as big as the town is (area wise) I would think that they would try to set aside land for future schools if there ever was a need. Does anybody know if this has happened? Thanks!

Old 10-01-2010, 09:15 AM

Default Big news!

Sheriff tells Winfield: Patrols yanked at noon Friday if $100K isn't paid

...I can see a huge lawsuit coming from this...

What does everyone think about this?

Personally, I am somewhat shocked that this is actually happening. Winfield has been incorporated for almost 18 years now and still does not have its own police department. As a growing area, I think that it is time they get their own. But I guess I was just shocked that Lake County is finally pulling the plug.

Last edited by Northwest Indiana; 10-01-2010 at 09:28 AM..

Old 10-01-2010, 05:52 PM

815 posts, read 2,983,086 times
It's just political grandstanding, they won't pull service. They would get sued to the stone ages if something happened and they didn't respond. Winfield residents are paying property taxes and are intitled to police service.

I don't think they need to create yet another whole police department. It's terribly costly to build a whole new department from scratch. They should contract with Crown Point or Merrillville (or both) for the time being, if the county can prove it can't.

They should just share a department with one of the surrounding towns in the long run. There is no reason why a Crown Point-Winfield Police department wouldn't work. Frankly more towns should merge their departments with neighboring towns. What is there,,, about 40 police departments in Lake county already, there really isn't a need to make more of them.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
It's just political grandstanding, they won't pull service. They would get sued to the stone ages if something happened and they didn't respond. Winfield residents are paying property taxes and are intitled to police service.

I don't think they need to create yet another whole police department. It's terribly costly to build a whole new department from scratch. They should contract with Crown Point or Merrillville (or both) for the time being, if the county can prove it can't.

They should just share a department with one of the surrounding towns in the long run. There is no reason why a Crown Point-Winfield Police department wouldn't work. Frankly more towns should merge their departments with neighboring towns. What is there,,, about 40 police departments in Lake county already, there really isn't a need to make more of them.

Hmmmm ... but do Winfield resident's taxes cover county police protection? If it was one of the stipulations of their incorporation and they've been getting "free" police service all this time, the county should pull the plug.

As for a joint Winfield/CP force, I dunno. That's a pretty large geographical spread.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post

Sorry, but I do have to respectfully disagree. Winfield wanted to incorporate as a town knowing that the town was going to boom in population. The town is 12.3 sq. miles. And it is becoming increasingly developed. Not only that, but Crown Point is 16.6 sq. miles.

One town's police force shared over almost 30 sq. miles will not work (especially when Winfield is not contributing any officers to the force and the majority of the population is to the left of I-65 or the "halfway point").

Smaller villages in Illinois are able to share departments (as well as school districts) because their land area and population are small. However, Winfield is geographically out of the way for Crown Point's police department and the majority of the population of the area is in Crown Point. However there is still a large enough amount of people in Winfield that warrants a police department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana