Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 09:02 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,491,199 times

Advertisements

My whole thing is: section 8 or no section 8, renters typically have much less (if any) vested interest in a town and that towns future...a non-section 8 tenant who pays directly out of pocket probably still has more interest in a town than someone who receives a voucher. As long as they get the voucher, many simply couldn't give a damn what goes on in the town. And that is the big problem I see. It goes back to what I have stated earlier about certain places becoming too affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 10:11 AM

811 posts, read 2,337,277 times
Good points. I guess what I'm saying is that the residents of the town may be affected by Section 8 tenants based on the perception of increased section 8 housing in the town, which may lead to potential buyers being reluctant to buy in that town. Whether accuate or not, people's percention of the direction of the town which could include section 8 housing may affect their decision. Therefore, with the town's residents being impacted, I feel they should have a say in the amount of section 8 housing allowed in their town (by way of their town officials or ordinances setting limits). It should not simply be up to the landlord as to how much section 8 housing is offered in a particular town.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:56 PM

This is good news! I never considered Highland a high crime town at all, but this news is pretty reassuring of the safety in town and the visibility of the police force. Good job Highland!

Stats show dip in Highland crime reports

Old 04-20-2011, 09:53 AM

Default Development

I meant to post this a while ago. But this is really good news. If anybody cares to drive through the Highland Grove area, you will notice that pretty much all of the space has tenants now after some spots (remember the OOLLLLDD circuit city) had been vacant for a while!

Also, I guess Meijer had extra outlots that they have leased for restaurants so it will be interesting to see what locates there! Some of the tenants (e.g., Ulta, Michael's) were supposed to locate in the Shops of Main or Oak Street Commons development in Schererville...but since the Shops of Main is dead and Oak Street commons is still stalled, they have moved into Highland. Maybe the new restaurants will be something that we currently do not have in the immediate area? Noodles & Company or something? I can't wait to see!

Highland creates new opportunities for businesses, residents

Old 04-20-2011, 03:58 PM

815 posts, read 2,998,094 times
The restaurants going into the outlots of Meijers are in fact Noodles and Company and also a Chipotle. They hope to break ground in May!

There are also two new restaurants coming to Ultra plaza. Bar 41 and Shrimp Max. Neither are chains as far as I know.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:37 PM

Default WOW Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
The restaurants going into the outlots of Meijers are in fact Noodles and Company and also a Chipotle. They hope to break ground in May!

There are also two new restaurants coming to Ultra plaza. Bar 41 and Shrimp Max. Neither are chains as far as I know.
I initially heard from a friend that it was Noodles & Company too. Do you care to share where exactly you found out? I actually JUST (like 20 minutes ago) found out from here after I posted the original post: Gazebo Express
And Chipotle is also coming to Munster Shops on Calumet. If they have another in Highland, that would be awesome!

Are any of the restaurants coming to the Ultra plaza replacing the closed Taco Bell? Or are they going into the strip mall part?

Last edited by Northwest Indiana; 04-20-2011 at 09:49 PM..

Old 04-21-2011, 04:55 AM

811 posts, read 2,337,277 times
Wow that's awesome news that Noodles & Co. and Chipotle will both be near the Meijer! Thanks for the info richb. Those will do very well in that location, similar to how well Panera is doing (anyone who has ever gone there knows its always packed and you can never find a seat).

From what I've researched and read, I think in general we can expect very little commercial development anytime soon, as we saw over the last 10-15 years in this area. The exceptions to this may be the Oak Street Commons or Munster Shops. However, we should (and already are) be seeing the current retail strip malls really start to fill in to max capacity as businesses have made a pretty strong comeback. Now that Highland Grove is completely full, I'd like to see the mall just south of Lowe's on 41 fill up. Right now it's just a Petsmart and Joanne's with a TGI Friday's out front, but there are several open locations in that plaza. I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

richb - did you have any updates or other information on this location? Or, more importantly, any updates on the Oak Street Commons? Thanks!

Last edited by svillechris; 04-21-2011 at 05:04 AM..

Old 04-21-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
Wow that's awesome news that Noodles & Co. and Chipotle will both be near the Meijer! Thanks for the info richb. Those will do very well in that location, similar to how well Panera is doing (anyone who has ever gone there knows its always packed and you can never find a seat).

From what I've researched and read, I think in general we can expect very little commercial development anytime soon, as we saw over the last 10-15 years in this area. The exceptions to this may be the Oak Street Commons or Munster Shops. However, we should (and already are) be seeing the current retail strip malls really start to fill in to max capacity as businesses have made a pretty strong comeback. Now that Highland Grove is completely full, I'd like to see the mall just south of Lowe's on 41 fill up. Right now it's just a Petsmart and Joanne's with a TGI Friday's out front, but there are several open locations in that plaza. I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

richb - did you have any updates or other information on this location? Or, more importantly, any updates on the Oak Street Commons? Thanks!
You should drive the the Munster Shops and see how far they have gotten! It looks really really good so far!

I too am wondering about Oak Street Commons...no movement there at all even though they said they are in negotiations with a major tenant...this may sound really snobby of me, but if this tenant is anything less than a Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's, Von Maur, or even Macy's (with upscale items), I will be pissed only because I feel that the area has waited way to long to secure basic tenants that the area really doesn't need (like JC Penney)..and for some reason, I have a gut feeling that it will be a JC Penney's only because they are on the forefront of abandoning traditional malls for lifestyle/strip centers (like how they located in Porter's Vale).....ALSO, I really hope that they get the Krispy Kremes to come back to that area because I loved it!....Also, I am wondering why the heck the trailer for the "Shops on Main" project is still there when Bruce Boyer (developer of Munster Shops) stated that the project is 100% dead?...It is basically a big tease....

(ok, now I need a deep breath lol LOL)

Old 04-22-2011, 06:51 AM

17,401 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
You should drive the the Munster Shops and see how far they have gotten! It looks really really good so far!

I too am wondering about Oak Street Commons...no movement there at all even though they said they are in negotiations with a major tenant...this may sound really snobby of me, but if this tenant is anything less than a Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's, Von Maur, or even Macy's (with upscale items), I will be pissed only because I feel that the area has waited way to long to secure basic tenants that the area really doesn't need (like JC Penney)..and for some reason, I have a gut feeling that it will be a JC Penney's only because they are on the forefront of abandoning traditional malls for lifestyle/strip centers (like how they located in Porter's Vale).....ALSO, I really hope that they get the Krispy Kremes to come back to that area because I loved it!....Also, I am wondering why the heck the trailer for the "Shops on Main" project is still there when Bruce Boyer (developer of Munster Shops) stated that the project is 100% dead?...It is basically a big tease....

(ok, now I need a deep breath lol LOL)
Ah, Porter's Vale ... we were supposed to get a Cracker Barrel and then the economy tanked. Sigh. I love their apple butter.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:09 PM

815 posts, read 2,998,094 times
Earlier this year, it sure was looking like Oak Street Commons was going to happen this spring. However it can't really go forward without a lead tenant, which they don't seem to have in writing yet, so its stalled again. I highly doubt it would be Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's or Von Maur. Though Von Maur (since its a family run business), I think would be more of a possibility then the other two, which have never shown any real interest in NW Indiana (both corporate chains). Its still a long shot for that one.

If NW Indiana really wants a truly upscale department store, someone local is going to have to create one from scratch. Chains rarely deviate from how they plan new stores, and NW Indiana's geography, population centers, and wealth doesn't work well with that system of planning. I know it sucks, we all know they would likely have success but they only look at certain things which make NW Indiana not look as good as it is.

Macy's or JCPenney's are more likely. I think its probably JCPenney's due to the size that the developers are showing for the lead store (100,000 sq. ft.) and that JCPenney has been opening stores in that size range lately.

The restaurant business seems to be coming out of the recession with all the recent announcements. Panera will open in May, with the Five Guys, Firehouse Subs, Chipotle later this year in Munster Shops. Then we get a second Chipotle in Highland with a Noodles a Company. Then we hear of a new shrimp place and a new bar in Ultra Plaza. I don't know with storefronts they are taking there, but I am guessing the shrimp place would want the old taco bell.

I don't know if anybody noticed, but they started building the second phase of the small commercial building on Main Street in Highland behind the Target (on the other side of the RR tracks). Haven't heard about tenants in there yet.

I guess we will see if Oak Street Commons starts this year or not. There are signs of life in a few places so maybe it will happen before too long. Maybe we will see a new proposal for the Main Street Shops site too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana