U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-02-2011, 05:21 AM

1,323 posts, read 1,841,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1251 View Post
Sorry, had to chime in here. If I may give an outsiders take after a year of being up here. First, I havent met a Hillbilly yet(take it from one, Dad is from Eastern KY) second, Munster is not an "upperclass" city, just the same old houses for way too much money. Third, I cant tell the difference from Highland, Schererville, Merrillville, Dyer, etc. Again, just my .02. Not trying to offend.
Munster may not be "upperclass" in terms of North Shore Chicago upperclass, but it is definitely a middle-class to upper middle-class town. Coming from Kentucky, I'm not surprised you to think that it's "the same old houses for way too much money". People from southern areas often think they can get a brand new McMansion for the same price they can back in their native areas and when they see that this is not possible, they say the area is "overpriced". Also, you've only been up here for a year. I do not expect you to notice any drastic differences between some of the towns. But I'll give you a hint as to what the drastic differences you should notice: School Quality, and quality of housing stock. Yes Munster has some older homes, but try to find that same home in Merrillville in the same condition that the Munster one would probably be in. You can't. That, and school quality, is reflective of real estate prices. Also, drive around Park West, Hill & Vale, Wicker Park Estates, White Oak Estates in Munster; Highland's Arbor Hill, White Oak Estates of Highland; Stonebridge Estates, Briar Ridge CC in Schererville; Briar Ridge CC, Highpoint Prairie in Dyer. Drive through all those places and see if you can find the same thing in Merrillville. There are differences between the towns. As a whole, not drastic. But just because you can't tell the differences doesn't mean that there are not differences.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 06:52 PM

54 posts, read 64,081 times
Like I said, trying not to offend, just giving a different view. We dont really have "Mcmansions" whatever that is, and as far as school quality goes, I have to admit you have me there. See I dont have kids so that is not my concern. Just cant justify paying 250K on a house that looks like my grandmas house from the 70's. Laminate flooring is not a plus, just because you spent $100 at menards on a new vanity and sink does not qualify as "remodeled" bathroom.And What is the obsession with wood paneling aroud here? every house I look at has it. was there a big sale on the stuff years ago?

Old 06-02-2011, 09:07 PM

621 posts, read 923,703 times
Quote:
Like I said, trying not to offend, just giving a different view. We dont really have "Mcmansions" whatever that is, and as far as school quality goes, I have to admit you have me there. See I dont have kids so that is not my concern. Just cant justify paying 250K on a house that looks like my grandmas house from the 70's. Laminate flooring is not a plus, just because you spent $100 at menards on a new vanity and sink does not qualify as "remodeled" bathroom.And What is the obsession with wood paneling aroud here? every house I look at has it. was there a big sale on the stuff years ago?
It's one thing to voice a reasonable opinion, it's another to make fun of an area which is more desirable than that from which you came based on real estate prices. You don't want an old quad for $250k in Munster? Great, then don't move there. Someone else with a family that is looking for a town close to Chicago with great schools will buy it then. That's what's happened over the last several years in Munster.

And there aren't McMansions? Wrong. I'm not sure if your post was specific to Munster or the entire NWI area, but if you look at the housing stock in Dyer, Schererville, or St. John south of Route 30 there are subdivisions after subdivisions of McMansions.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:23 AM

Ok, I was not trying to make fun, as far as this area being more desirable than that from which I came is a matter of opinion. I seriously want to how someone can expect so much money for a house that has not been updated for 30-40 years, and the fact that we are in a recession. As far as the "mcmansions" remark, I was refering to Southern(farther south than Indy)Indiana where I was born and raised.Again, trying to understand not offend.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:42 AM

Default Good for Highland

May not be "authentic" but, nevertheless, it is good development of an area that otherwise would remain rather unsightly

Qdoba Mexican Grill expading presence in Northwest Indiana

Old 08-13-2011, 10:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,683 times
Quote:
I tend to agree with you. I was transferred to Lake County a couple years ago. I was pretty shocked with the options available. I've lived in various places in Indiana and a several other states as well. I am reasonably well traveled too. What people in NW Indiana consider to be nice is different than the majority of the country. If I pay $200,000 I want to see some grass. The lack of yards and landscaping makes the area uninviting and somewhat depressing. It is the first thing friends and relatives notice when they visit.

I don't hate NW Indiana but I have to say it is the least attractive region in the state, and one of the least attractive spots I've seen in the 40 states I've visited.

As far as access to Chicago culture, the arts, etc...I can enjoy most of the same things in Indy, Louisville, or Cincinatti. I can get around those cities a heck of a lot faster too.

There is no way I would invest in a home in this region.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexy64 View Post
I tend to agree with you. I was transferred to Lake County a couple years ago. I was pretty shocked with the options available. I've lived in various places in Indiana and a several other states as well. I am reasonably well traveled too. What people in NW Indiana consider to be nice is different than the majority of the country. If I pay $200,000 I want to see some grass. The lack of yards and landscaping makes the area uninviting and somewhat depressing. It is the first thing friends and relatives notice when they visit.

I don't hate NW Indiana but I have to say it is the least attractive region in the state, and one of the least attractive spots I've seen in the 40 states I've visited.

As far as access to Chicago culture, the arts, etc...I can enjoy most of the same things in Indy, Louisville, or Cincinatti. I can get around those cities a heck of a lot faster too.

thats pretty much how we feel. just gonna keep renting for now.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:44 AM

3,900 posts, read 1,649,858 times
Quote:
Jeeze thats how inflated the housing market is in Chicago? Wow we must have it good here in Indy since our average home price is 100k.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexy64 View Post

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and that is fine if you do not like the area. However, you need to realize that NWI is not a homogeneous region throughout.

Lets take Crown point for example. For $200,000 you can get a brand new patio home with all of the updates, but the lots sizes may not be that large. Or you can get a RELATIVELY older home (maybe 10 - 15 years old) on a
much bigger lot and may even have some updates...here are some examples:

This one is actually in Winfield, Indiana. It is not my personal style, but I believe it would be a good buy. The ONLY thing I would do is get higher end appliances which given the reasonable price of this home, would not even be a big deal.

7526 103rd Dr
Crown Point, IN 46307

Here is another listing in CP that is on a larger lot WITH GRASS YES in that price range. It even has some nice updates too...again, not my personal taste, but I think it would be another great buy.

8931 East 124th Pl
Crown Point, IN 46307

Now if we look at another town, let's say Munster, then you will probably not find as much house for the money. But if anybody thinks that you will be able to find a brand new 2-story home with 4 bedrooms, three bathrooms, and high end appliances for less than $200,000, then they must realize that this is not the norm in NWI where the towns with good schools are pretty cramped for space. Most Indy suburbs (for example) have so much room to grow and land prices are lower and many homes are mass produced. Not the case up here anymore.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 1,683 times
The offerings in Crown Point and Highland are dramatically different. I've found that I like Porter County quite a bit too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana