Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 01:53 PM

811 posts, read 2,337,087 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if I'm late to the party on this, but I personally just read about the likely SouthEast Service line that Metra plans to start soon. I feel like if this does happen, it could be very beneficial for NWI as many more people who work in Chicago may see the proximity of this line to NWI and view it as a viable place to live.

There would be stops in Crete, Glenwood, and South Holland. Just think, from St. John to Crete would be about 15 mins, whereas from St. John to the closest South Shore is probably about 30. From Dyer to Glenwood is 10-12 mins instead of 20-25 to the closest South Shore stop. From Munster to South Holland is also very quick, 10-12 mins compared to the 15 or so to Hammond.

Another BIG difference and benefit to some may be the fact that this line will run to the LaSalle Station. The reason this is important is because this location is centralized for basically anyone working in the loop. The Randolph station (where the South Shore and the Metra Electic drop off at) is not since it's very far east. This forces those working in the center or west side of the loop to have a long walk to their office. In some cases, this may save a good 15 mins on a one-way commute.

I'm not sure exactly of the rails that they would be using, but it would be fantastic if this line also offered express trains. If the South Shore does not follow through with its plans to create the West Lake Corridor, I forsee this Metra expansion as potentially a very good thing for Northwest Indiana.

Metra Connects : Proposed New Starts

Last edited by svillechris; 01-07-2011 at 02:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 06:32 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,723,787 times
I don't understand ... why do they want to run a line that is pretty much parallel to the ME line???? Why can't this state embrace bringing a train into the southern portion of the region??? ugh!!!! What's next ... a metra line that runs just enough on the state border that it doesn't creep into Indiana?

Old 01-08-2011, 10:26 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,333 times
If it costs anymore than 4.85 for a ride, they won't be running anytime soon.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:30 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,490,590 times
Personally, I would rather the West Lake Corridor (WLC) be built than the Metra SouthEast. The SouthEast service would be nice, but in terms of benifitting NWI, it would provide as much benefits as having the WLC. The WLC will enhance each town it runs through by encouraging less sprawled development (think - dense town center surrounding train station) and more redeveloped of established areas. When you look at the most desirable (and usually affluent) towns in Illinois and the northeast, they all have direct access to train service. I feel the WLC will be better. However, I am not necessarily against the Metra SE service.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:44 AM

363 posts, read 1,043,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I don't understand ... why do they want to run a line that is pretty much parallel to the ME line???? Why can't this state embrace bringing a train into the southern portion of the region??? ugh!!!! What's next ... a metra line that runs just enough on the state border that it doesn't creep into Indiana?
Probably because there's no viable rail line going straight south from Hammond?

Existing tracks are few and far between except around Griffith

Old 01-19-2011, 08:29 AM

17,373 posts, read 14,626,192 times
I always questioned the wisdom of tearing up those miles of tracks that ran through Schererville for the creation of a bike path. It just seemed insane to me because it was the perfect route for a commuter line.

But what the hell do I know.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:38 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,490,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I always questioned the wisdom of tearing up those miles of tracks that ran through Schererville for the creation of a bike path. It just seemed insane to me because it was the perfect route for a commuter line.

But what the hell do I know.
DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THAT!!! Even though Munster has two more lines it could use (The Amtrak line & the line that runs along 45th street) I still hate the fact that the other line was turned into a trail. I agree 100% with you.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:58 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,849,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Which line was that? The one that went down towards Crown Point?

Old 01-19-2011, 12:12 PM

17,373 posts, read 14,626,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Which line was that? The one that went down towards Crown Point?
Yep.

It runs right under 30 - the overpass just east of Zuni's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana