Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where did you move from?
Chicago 7 22.58%
South Suburbs 10 32.26%
Southwest Suburbs 2 6.45%
West Suburbs 1 3.23%
Northwest Suburbs 0 0%
North Suburbs 1 3.23%
Other Illinois location 0 0%
Other Indiana location 3 9.68%
Out of state - but not Illinois 6 19.35%
Out of the country 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 01:56 PM

17,395 posts, read 14,631,586 times

Advertisements

Northwest Indiana has a poll on the Chgo Suburbs boards about people moving to Indiana - but I'm a little curious about the people who already live here and where they moved from.

I'd also be interested to hear exactly why you moved across the state line: taxes, schools, quality of life, employment, etc.

(I'm going to try and make this a poll ... I've never done a poll before & hope it works.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 02:00 PM

17,395 posts, read 14,631,586 times
I'll answer first ...

We moved here (Porter Country) from Homewood specifically for schools and property taxes. Since we moved here a decade ago, our taxes on our old house in Homewood have doubled - and ours on our Indiana home are actually lower than they were 10 years ago.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:38 PM

815 posts, read 2,998,094 times
Moved to NW Indiana from Dolton.

Moved to have nicer house in a quieter neighborhood, much, much lower property taxes and (car) insurance. Was tired of the village of Dolton's corruption and politics, the constant vandalism, drug and gang problems.

Wouldn't want to live in Illinois for anything. Glad I don't have to work there anymore either.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:03 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
We moved to Schererville last year. We really like Homewood and had been thinking about a house there but the property taxes were a sticking point. We love our home and neighborhood in Schererville. Everything we need is nearby but our neighborhood is quiet and beautiful.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:11 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,491,199 times
We moved to Munster from South Holland. Other options were Olympia Fields, Hazel Crest, Flossmoor or Orland Park. We moved to Munster for the schools and also because distant family and friends of ours had moved to Indiana and had lived there for some time and loved it. The overall cost of living was much much lower at the time than in Illinois although the COL in NWI has gone up since then (still lower than Illinois).

Old 01-27-2011, 06:36 AM

863 posts, read 2,784,740 times
We moved to Dyer from Lansing a little over two years ago. We needed a home big enough for my mother-in-law to move in with us. We couldn't find anything that suited our needs and tastes in Lansing, so we looked over the border.

We weren't running away from any problems in Lansing and we still have none in Dyer.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:59 AM

811 posts, read 2,337,277 times
I don't exactly fit the mold of the rest of you answering this question, but I'll share my story even if it gets me just 1/2 of a point.

I grew up in Highland and Valpo, then after college I lived in Chicago (Wrigleyville area) for a few years. My now-wife and I didn't feel like cramming into a 1 BR condo for $250,000 and all of the inconveniences that came with living in the city. So we bought a house in Schererville in mid 2009 for a few main reasons. We wanted to be back near family, reasonable taxes, and actually have a house of our own, not a little box of a condo where you have to worry about being quiet so the neighbors above and below don't get mad. There's a lot of good things about living in the city, but I would never move back and we're happy we're back in NWI.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:16 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,491,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
I don't exactly fit the mold of the rest of you answering this question, but I'll share my story even if it gets me just 1/2 of a point.

I grew up in Highland and Valpo, then after college I lived in Chicago (Wrigleyville area) for a few years. My now-wife and I didn't feel like cramming into a 1 BR condo for $250,000 and all of the inconveniences that came with living in the city. So we bought a house in Schererville in mid 2009 for a few main reasons. We wanted to be back near family, reasonable taxes, and actually have a house of our own, not a little box of a condo where you have to worry about being quiet so the neighbors above and below don't get mad. There's a lot of good things about living in the city, but I would never move back and we're happy we're back in NWI.
The only way I would live in the city with a family is if I had a SFH (or even a 4 level townhome) the only other alternative is one of those penthouses in Trumps building!

Haha, but that is just a dream!

Old 01-27-2011, 01:57 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Although we no longer live in NWI, we did live there, having moved from the north suburbs of Chicago because we wanted to be closer to our families since we had our first child and I had a gig at Valpo Law School.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:12 AM

20 posts, read 38,765 times
I moved here (East Chicago) in 2008 from a small town west of Joliet. Moved in with my boyfriend. We had a "race" of sorts. Who ever could find a job in the other person's area first would move. I happened to find a job in a matter of weeks. He couldn't find a job in my area in IL.

Boy, SUCH a change in atmosphere!! We have a family now and are desperate to move away from this immediate area. It's not our idea of "safe." We're going to make that happen in the next year or 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana