U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 02-10-2011, 09:34 AM

3,490 posts, read 2,603,287 times
Default The People's Church - South Bend?

Looking back 50 years in South Bend, IN, we attended a church called "The People's Church" and my grandfather's 2nd cousin was the minister, Roscoe Wilson. My brother tells me that the church building is now occupied by another congregation. I know that the church was Protestant and I am thinking general Protestant rather than something like Methodist, etc. Does anyone remember this church? Did it relocate or just go out of fashion? It was to me, that old time religion and I have been unable to find that since. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-12-2011, 04:15 PM

1,669 posts, read 1,301,122 times
South Bend is generally not considered part of Northwest Indiana, so you'll probably have better luck posting on the general Indiana forum. Good luck finding the info you're looking for!

Unread 02-13-2011, 06:49 AM

Thank you and I will try that. I know it was a long time ago but maybe someone will remember.

Unread 04-21-2011, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,753 times
Hello, I am a grandson of Roscoe F. Wilson and attended the People's Church in South Bend throughout my childhood. The church was nondenominational with connections to Dr. Bob Jones Jr. of Bob Jones University in South Carolina. My grandfather graduated from Moody Bible in Chicago and began his ministry in the United Bretheren Church until he started his own church in downtown South Bend. He died in 1972 and the church went through several changes. I am not sure who is running the church in that building now. The upshot of this is that there will be no other church like the one you remember from the fifties since it was a completely independent congregation that had no real affiliations. My grandfather found most of the portestants sects running at the time to be too liberal. It was a pretty fire and brimstone theology as you remember it. As a direct family member, I can tell you it was a pretty unforgiving theology. Hope this helps.

Unread 06-14-2011, 01:22 PM

Mark, if you are out there, thank you. This is exactly the information that I was looking for. It also explains why the world seems extra corrupt to me these days. I loved you grandfather and grandmother as they were wonderful people and, they like the church, were a blessing to many. I did find a photo of the church listed among other churches in South Bend but it listed only what it is now. It said that it has the finest stained glass windows in South Bend! Thank you again.

Unread 07-29-2011, 09:14 AM

2,585 posts, read 344,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
South Bend is generally not considered part of Northwest Indiana, so you'll probably have better luck posting on the general Indiana forum. Good luck finding the info you're looking for!
I always considered South Bend as in NW Ind., it's definitely north and it's not eastern.

Unread 07-29-2011, 08:23 PM

1,525 posts, read 2,824,311 times
I've always thought of it as North Central.

Unread 07-30-2011, 03:32 AM

3,528 posts, read 2,380,283 times
south bend indiana is definatley not in northwest indiana

Unread 01-21-2012, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,184 times
Hello AnywhereElse, I too, like Mark am a grandson of Roscoe F. Wilson, pastor of the People's Church. I spent many of my formative summers there. It was old time religion at its finest. I attended many tent revivals and conferences at Winona Lake. I was introduced to theologians like Charles Woodbridge, Paul E. Little, Ian Paisley, John Whitcomb and Merrill Tenney. Although I was too young to appreciate the company I was in, I was influenced greatly. Grandpa taught dispensational theology. He was extremely knowledgeable in Romans and Revelations, but his emphasis was always towards the grace of God. The church struggled in the 70's under Pastor McFarland and eventually the building was sold to another congregation which also struggled to keep the building. I believe Mark was right, that the congregation was independent, although Grandpa was closely affiliated with the Plymouth Bretheren. I have a lot of fond memories of roaming around the church while Grandpa prepared his sermons. Our families were blessed by his leadership, faith and wisdom in a unique period and place. I'm currently using his books in a bible study. Hopefully some day we'll meet. If not now, then later...
Gunnar Williamson

Unread 09-12-2012, 09:58 PM

1 posts, read 857 times
Default People's Church Memories

Dear AnywhereElse, markwil50, and GunnarW,

As I read your messages about The People's Church, I am nearly brought to tears. I too, attended People's Church throughout my childhood! My parents, Ralph and Armelia Pratt, were members back in the 1950's and 1960's. I have many fond and vivid memories of my years there, attending Sunday School, singing in the Children's Choir (Mrs. Laymen was Choir Director), attending Church Picnics at The Wilson's log cabin on Diamond Lake. Why, I was baptized in Diamond Lake at one of the those picnics!

I remember Dr. and Mrs. Wilson very well! My parents loved them, and always spoke so highly of them. Then, in 1966, when I was 10 yrs old, my mom died of pneumonia. Dr. Wilson said the Eulogy, and I remember him coming up to me and my 3 sisters afterward to comfort us with his wise words. He told us mom was looking down at us from heaven above, and that we would see her again someday.

I think Dad continued taking us to People's Church up until about 1970, when he met my future Step-mother and they agreed to attend her church instead.

I find it interesting to hear that Dr. Wilson was closely affiliated with the Plymouth Brethren! This helps me piece together why my Mom started attending The People's Church while working in South Bend, before she met my Dad. She is originally from the rural Plymouth/Argos area and was brought up in the Church Of the Brethren, formerly known as the Dunkard Church.

Anyway, I thank you all for posting your messages, and wonder if I might remember any of you! Please feel free to email me if you would like to reminisce!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana