U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 02:35 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckity View Post
see, while although munster is 89.4832% solidly middle class and valparaiso is 74.3782% solidly middle class the true difference is monetary structure of these two classically solid middle class communities whereforartthou they receive their middle-classness. For all intents and purposes, munster relies on the vibrant social and economic pull of chicago for it's employment and amusement of it's residents. Valparaiso on the other hand, along with 86.5743858734% of porter county in general, is completely self sufficient in it's accumulation of solidly middle classness. So while monetarily-wise, valpo's median income pales to munsters, longevity-wise, it excels because gas prices will not have an effect on it's awesomeness.

Which brings me to the topic most people are concerned with: Schools. It stands to reason that munster schools are best for munster children. And valparaiso schools excel at educating valparaiso children. Obviously, it's no competition. And for the 4.8329% of valpo children who who be better off with a munster education, only 2.4820% (rounded up, naturally) of munster's children would be best presented with the educational system that valparaiso affords it's residents. And it goes without saying that all this is made clear through the rankings of the newsweek's best high schools - which, though flawed, surely shows the outcome to be exactly what it's intended to be. Anyone who can't come to that conclusion, is, well, probably not solidly middle class.
lmao! :d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 08:56 PM

3,524 posts, read 4,522,130 times
28 Northwest Indiana schools are named Four Star Schools by the Indiana Department of Education ... including FIVE Valpo schools!

IDOE names Four Star schools

Old 03-19-2011, 12:39 PM

Just a note about the addition of three new restaurants to Valpo's downtown - I had posted this in another thread & thought it deserved to be cut & pasted here:

Did you hear there's a new restaurant across from Memorial Opera House? Parea. Parea Restaurant - Valparaiso In 46383 Northwest indiana Steaks Chops Seafood Upscale Bar Lounge and Restaurant Downtown Valparaiso Haven't been there yet - but I've heard really good things!

... and it reminds me, the Silver Spoon (said to be an upscale b'fast/lunch place) is said to open in May. And Margarita's Bar & Grill should be open very soon. (Both are on Lincolnway.)

If I hear one more person say that all NWI offers is chain restaurants, I'm gonna smack 'em.

And psst .... do ya'll like my new tagline under my user name?

Old 03-19-2011, 03:43 PM

17,594 posts, read 24,535,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Just stomp all over that line chuck!

Old 03-19-2011, 03:45 PM

2,068 posts, read 1,762,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Loved it.

And, if you make it to any of those restaurants let us know how they are! I'm planning to be in the area at the end of April and am looking forward to trying them out.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Just stomp all over that line chuck!
I try, I try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
Loved it.

And, if you make it to any of those restaurants let us know how they are! I'm planning to be in the area at the end of April and am looking forward to trying them out.
Absolutely!

Old 02-25-2014, 04:46 AM

Exclamation Lakes of Valparaiso (development)

Well it seems like the development has been approved by the plan commission and the city council has approved annexation of the land. What do you guys think about the project? I'm always a little be worried about "luxury apartments" in suburban and exurban areas when it comes to years down the road.

I really would like to see the site plan of the development as well as renderings of the apartment buildings.

Weiss manages the Prairie Point apartment complex in Merrillville as well as the Creekside at Meadowbrook apartment complex in Lowell. The Merrillville complex is two floor buildings that look more like town homes as some have garage units attached to the building. The Lowell complex is more like an apartment block with garage units detached. Both are marketed as luxury apartments, but the Merrillville complex is clearly more upscale (especially with the new The Reserve at Prairie Point expansion). Hopefully the Lakes of Valparaiso resembles the Merrillville development (or even better).

Lakes of Valparaiso get Plan Commission OK

Lakes of Valparaiso gets OK for annexation

Old 02-25-2014, 06:53 PM

OMG.

I was so awesome in this thread.

What the hell has happened to me?

Old 09-23-2014, 05:01 AM

Default Valparaiso Public Schools Plan

Frataccia outlines $150 million building plan for Valpo schools

Thoughts?

Old 09-23-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
I think for the first time in a while, we have a superintendent who is listening to the community. I like what Ric has outlined for the most part .

I was NEVER a fan of building a whole new high school. Ever. The Campbell location is the most central to the area it serves. It's walkable for a least a few hundred of Valpo's kids - and I think that's very important. (I'm a big fan of neighborhood schools ... grade centers did quite a number on Homewood and that's part of the reason we moved.)

Though I am sad about Hayes closing ... but I understand it.

There is LOTS of deferred maintenance at VHS. LOTS. They're finishing up the re-doing of the roof right now (they started in the summer) but you could take someone who has no idea about construction, take them on a 15 minute walk around and through the school and even they could come up with a substantial punch list of repairs.

My favorite part of the article is that they want the facade to look "less institutional". I don't know how the hell they'll do that and I think that's far less important that updating the guts of the school ... heck, they should just embrace the 70s look and let it be.

But all in all, they've got my vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana