Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 6,084 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to a job in Merrillville. We can afford a home in the 500K to $1M price range. Which are the best high schools in that area (both Chicago metro and N Indiana)? We would prefer a commute under 45 minutes. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 05:58 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Valparaiso , Crown Point and Munster have top rated public school systems. Chesterton is also very good (try looking in Sand Creek for a home in your price range there). Be sure to look for homes in specific school districts because boundary lines change in strange places.

As for private schools, there are Catholic grade schools, but private high schools are kind of hard to come by up there ... Marquette, LaLumiere, Bishop Noll, Andrean can't think of anymore

Your price range is not an issue at all. Check out Northwest Indiana is Calling You Home! for a great realtor board site. If you need a realtor, pm me and I'll give you the most fan-tabu-lous realtor in the region.

As for Chicago/Southern burbs, the public schools are hit or miss on the other side of the state line, but private schools are super plentiful.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:01 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,536,653 times
So close....West Lafayette school district is consistently in the top five in the state, but that would be a long drive to Merrillville.

Great resource:

http://www.indianachamber.com/pdf/bestbuys/IndianasBestBuys2006.pdf (broken link)

Old 10-10-2007, 01:40 PM

801 posts, read 2,566,125 times
Chesterton and Crown Point have new high schools (both large)... I'm very happy with the community feel in Chesterton and feel they do a very good job connecting the elementaries, intermediate, middle, and high schools.

Hobart and Hebron are building new high schools.

Merrillville would give you the most diverse student body.

Wheeler is an excellent quality system with a smaller school.

Morgan Township and Hebron are smaller school systems if you like a more rural atmosphere.

Your price range isn't a problem in Porter or Lake County, you should have some nice communities and homes to choose from.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:36 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,656 times
There is a new-ish subdivision in Crown Point that would fit nicely in your price range. Dean White (owner of White Co Industries) has a gorgeous home there. It at the end of Broadway (Route 53), and moments away from I-65.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 8,962 times
I have lived in both St. John and Crown Point in the early 90's. These are very nice places to live and I would have no problems moving back to these areas if I had to. I currently live in Valparaiso which is very good area to live in also. Here are my thoughts on living in NW Indiana:

In the price range you are looking at southern Lake county and Porter county offer you tremendous choices. The biggest differences are Lake county has more congestion and traveling can be a pain sometimes, especially through routes 30 and 41. Porter county on the other hand is more spread out and rural and the travel can take just as long but at least you are actually getting somewhere.

Both areas offer excellent public schools, Crown Point and Munster being the best in Lake county and Valparaiso and Chesterton in Porter county. But you will find that most other school districts are very good also. There are some to stay away from, but these most likely are not in your real estate market area.

The crime rates are what you would expect in a typical middle/upper class area throught the US.

Just about everywhere in these areas will take you about 1 hour or less to get to downtown Chicago, especially since the Dan Ryan construction is finished.

I hope this helps.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:16 PM

618 posts, read 1,610,567 times
http://realtor.com

Old 12-18-2007, 06:36 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,388,720 times
There is only one choice in your school search: MUNSTER

Old 12-25-2007, 05:45 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,388,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
There is only one choice in your school search: MUNSTER
about the schools

http://www.publicschoolreview.com/sc...chool_id/28397

about the city:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Munster-Indiana.html

Old 02-18-2009, 07:42 AM

1 posts, read 4,726 times
Crown Point and Munster are the best public High Schools in this area and both those towns are beautilfull. As far as private school, Andrean High School is the best in the area acedemically and athletically without a doubt, but facilities are outdated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana