Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 07:14 PM

9 posts, read 20,298 times

Advertisements

Ok guys I just moved here and have a few questions about the area that I would like to know. If it helps answer any of the questions I am 22 years old.

What gyms are around and which is the best?
Where can I join a softball league?
What is the best golf course?
What is fun to do for entertainment?
Any good bars or clubs?
What restaurants do I need to try?
Is there a racetrack anywhere close aside from Joilet?

Any helpful hints you can give?

I don't know anyone within a 6 state area so I'm looking for a way to socialize around things I enjoy.

I appreciate all answers

Thanks,

Skylar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 08:18 PM

811 posts, read 2,338,164 times
I'll answer these questions based on my personal opinion, but I think these will be the general consensus of people in the area as well. My answers are in blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer12 View Post
Ok guys I just moved here and have a few questions about the area that I would like to know. If it helps answer any of the questions I am 22 years old.

What gyms are around and which is the best? Omni41, on Indianapolis Blvd./Rt 41

Where can I join a softball league? Contact any of the local town parks departments, I'm pretty sure most if not all have a public adult softball league. Some, for example Schererville, may only allow team signups, no individual. You might try looking around for one that allows individual signups so you can be placed onto a team.

What is the best golf course? Some of the best in the area are White Hawk in Crown Point, Palmira in St. John, and Centennial Park Golf Course in Munster
What is fun to do for entertainment? I'm not going to lie to you, Northwest Indiana definitely has a suburban vibe to it, where people come to raise families and with people who have lived in the area their entire lives. For the best entertainment, Chicago is only a 45 min drive away.

Any good bars or clubs? Some of the better bars are Buddy N' Pals which has locations in both Schererville and Crown Point (in my experience the CP one has more of a Jersey Shore/Affliction Shirts type of feel), WoodHollow on 41 in Schererville (same building as Jalapenos), Houlihans on 41 in Schererville has a cool modern bar area, White Rhino in Dyer.

Best Overall - Lighthouse Restaurant in Cedar Lake
Italian - Cafe Borgia in Munster or Ciao Bella in Schererville
Hole in the wall Mexican - El Amigo in Schererville
Italian Beef - Pepino's in Schererville
Middle Eastern - Aladdin Pita in Merrillville
Thai - Exotic Thai in Highland
Brewery - Three Floyds in Munster
Steakhouse - Venice Italian Steakhouse in Dyer

Illiana Speedway on Rt. 30 in Schererville, they have races there I believe every Saturday night in the summer.

I would try to join as many teams, clubs, organizations, etc as possible. Just become active in the community. That's probably the best way to meet people in this area.

I don't know anyone within a 6 state area so I'm looking for a way to socialize around things I enjoy.

I appreciate all answers

Thanks,

Skylar
Also, if you don't mind me asking, if the rest of your family is far away and you presumably are not from the area, how did you end up in Schererville, IN?

Last edited by svillechris; 06-01-2011 at 08:27 PM..

Old 06-01-2011, 08:51 PM

Chris,

Thank you for your answers.

I recently graduated from college and accepted a job in Chicago that I had previously interned with.

My coworkers told me to live in the nwi area and I found a great place in Schererville.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:07 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
Quote:

What gyms are around and which is the best?
Where can I join a softball league?
What is the best golf course?
What is fun to do for entertainment?
Any good bars or clubs?

I appreciate all answers

Thanks,

Skylar
Two of the larger gyms are Omni (Schererville) and Fitness Pointe (Munster). They are both hospital-affiliated and Fitness Pointe is nicer (although presumably more expensive). Omni is 24/7, though.

Don't know much about Golf, Softball or racing.

As for entertainment: it depends on your interests. Some of the popular night spots include White Rhino (Dyer), Jalapenos/Woodhollow (Schererville), Sheffield's (Dyer and Merrillville), Longshots (Schererville), Engine Room (Dyer). The bar scene is OK; the club scene is lighter (it's better to go to Chicago for more serious clubbing).

Some of the more popular restaurants by cuisine and town are:

Mexican: Memo's Taco Mex (Highland), El Amigo (Schererville). I like both, but El Amigo is cheaper (price and ambiance).

Pizza: Edwardo's (Munster), Sanfratello's (Highland and Dyer, but original in Glenwood, IL), Arrenello's (Highland, but original in Glenwood, IL). I like Edwardo's the most of those mentioned, but it is expensive. Arrenello's is good if you like a sweeter sauce.

Greek: Munster Gyros, Gyros Express (Schererville, basically right next to El Amigo). Both good, but Gyros Express will be closer to you and easier to park, get in and out, etc.

Italian: Pepino's (Schererville), Gamba (Merrillville). Have only been to Gamba; it's good, but expensive. Nice ambiance, though. Pepino's is known for very large quantities and good taste.

Chinese: Golden Phoenix (Schererville), China Wok (St John). I like both, but Golden Phoenix is better. I don't go to either that often, but China Wok more often than GP b/c GP can be VERY heavy depending on what you order.

Middle Eastern: Aladdin Pita (Merrillville), Mishkenut (Munster). AP is OK; have never been to Mishkenut although it gets excellent reviews.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:48 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,493,927 times
Excellent recommendations have been provided so far...as far as food, I would like to add House of Kobe...it is a Japanese Hibachi Grill restaurant with two locations (Schererville & Merrillville)...In my experiences, the Schererville location is a little better.

As far as going out in NWI, the vast majority of people in this area have grown up in the area and have their groups of friends set so you are not likely to be able to meet new people unless you go with a group yourself or you go with someone from the area. Seeing in that you are in my age group, I would strongly suggest that you go out in Chicago whenever you can (and if it is within your budget). It will cost a bit, but it is very much worth it. Also, if you live in an apartment building or condo, try to get to know your neighbors really well (if they are close in age)...chances are they will be locals and will know the area and show you around...best of luck!

Old 06-02-2011, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the answers.

got a few more questions if you guys don't mind.

can anybody recommend a:
doctor
dentist
eye doctor

Old 06-02-2011, 03:23 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
Quote:
Thanks for the answers.

got a few more questions if you guys don't mind.

can anybody recommend a:
doctor
dentist
eye doctor
For Dental care, I'd recommend John Roper (Munster). He is quite popular in the area.

When I was looking for eye care in the 1990s (glasses, contacts, etc) I went to Ophthalmologists. These days, it seems Optometrists have the lion's share of this market. For Optometry, I have heard Alex Kouklakis (link below) is good.

Office Locations for Alexander H. Kouklakis, OD - Optometry - Merrillville, IN

There are many generalist physicians around the area. I'd probably go with a self-employed one instead of one employed by the large hospital groups (Community, Franciscan, etc). Don't know any names, though.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:24 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Gino's steak house on route 30 is excellent. Dragon Inn, also on 30 in Dyer is great Chinese food.
Omni 41 and Fitness Pointe are both good, as someone mentioned. Omni you have to sign up for a years contract, Fitness Pointe costs more but no contract.
I'm looking for a doctor too. I'm still seeing the doctor I saw in Illinois. I love her but but she was already kind of far when I lived there and now it's getting ridiculous.
If you like softball, you might enjoy seeing the Deep River Grinders. They play baseball as it was played in the 1800's, at Deep River Park (near Deep River Waterpark, but across Rt. 30). Speaking of Deep River Waterpark, I haven't been there yet but I hear it's reasonably priced, including the food, and not too crowded.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:57 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Forgot to say, Fitness Pointe has an initiation fee, which Omni doesn't.
If you like to eat breakfast out and want something different from the ordinary, go to The Scrambled on 77th Av. and Hart (it gets really crowded though).
One thing that's confusing is main streets abruptly changing their name. Hart and Sheffield are the same street, ditto St John Rd and Patterson, Rt 41 is both Wicker and Indianapolis Blvd. The street numbering leaves me scratching my head. Google maps is your friend, or there's a Rand-McNally book map of the area that details everything you could need to know.
And to you other posters, where oh where can you get good subs? We used to love Submarine Port in Midlothian.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,972 times
I am a fan of Penn Station subs, which is in the mini-mall with Cardinal Fitness and Hooters on the NW corner of US 30 & US 41 in Schererville. It's a chain, but only has 3 locations in Chicagoland (Schererville, Munster, and Lombard IL). It's a different kind of sub though; hot with melted cheese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana