Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 02:01 AM

70 posts, read 123,405 times

Advertisements

I moved to Valpo a few years ago when I was working there. That job went away and I recently started work in Whiting. The drive is about 50 minutes each way and starting to get a little bit tiring.
I've been seriously thinking of cutting my losses and making a move closer to work. I've driven through Whiting and can't really say the town really appeals to me. Any other ideas? I've considered the following towns:

Portage
Highland
Munster
Schererville

I'd like to find a nice townhouse to rent (in the around $700-900 range if possible)

What would be a good area for a single pushing 30? I know a lot of people in my age range are in Chicago...while it's a fun place to visit, I don't think I would want to live there. Any suggestions are welcome!

Last edited by mike7624; 06-08-2011 at 02:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 04:45 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,068,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7624 View Post
I moved to Valpo a few years ago when I was working there. That job went away and I recently started work in Whiting. The drive is about 50 minutes each way and starting to get a little bit tiring.
I've been seriously thinking of cutting my losses and making a move closer to work. I've driven through Whiting and can't really say the town really appeals to me. Any other ideas? I've considered the following towns:

Portage
Highland
Munster
Schererville

I'd like to find a nice townhouse to rent (in the around $700-900 range if possible)

What would be a good area for a single pushing 30? I know a lot of people in my age range are in Chicago...while it's a fun place to visit, I don't think I would want to live there. Any suggestions are welcome!
Sounds as if your new job is going pretty good
I have always loved the Munster area and its closer to whiting than valpo
and alot closer to the city if you venture into chicago.

valpo is kind of far
not sure what work you do but getting closer to a larger population base
doesnt hurt either if you ever have to switch jobs
just a thought- not knocking the valpo area or stating there are not jobs over there

Old 06-08-2011, 05:47 AM

2,155 posts, read 5,452,243 times
Quote:

Portage
Highland
Munster
Schererville

As far as Munster goes, I am usually biased because I live there and love the town! But to be honest, your rent may not get you what you want IF you are even able to find a place. That price range is the most competitive in Munster because it is so rare to find anything in town for the price (even in the relatively affordable northwest part of town)...Highland might be an option as well, but there may not be as many people around your age. Slightly older folks. The younger folks that do live there tend to have families with kids (as the Munster and Highland area are VERY family oriented). You may get a little more bang for your buck in Schererville and if you are able to find a nice townhome in a newer development, the chances of living by people around your age will increase. It is still a family oriented area, but I think Schererville/Dyer has a lot of young, mostly single, professionals given the newness and affordability of some of the developments. Check the developments near the movie theaters in Schererville. Also check in the Rockwell subdivision in Dyer (right behind the Jewel Osco)...they are pretty new (around 5 years old) and there are TONS of young people there!

I've never really been a fan of Portage to be honest. It is a very very affordable area, and there are plenty of townhomes/duplexes but many of them leave much to be desired.

But before you do anything, just make sure that this is all financially feasible...I know the long drive may wear you out, but if it does not really affect your job performance and it is cheaper to live in Valpo and make the drive, then stay put. If you can sell your place in Valpo, then maybe look more seriously into moving (Dyer or Schererville).

Old 06-08-2011, 07:57 AM

811 posts, read 2,323,932 times
Quote:

Portage
Highland
Munster
Schererville

I think it depends on what your interests are. Do you plan on going to Chicago frequently to see friends or for the nightlife?

I don't really think it makes sense to live in Munster as a single in your late 20s. I believe that the premium for living in Munster is paid due in large part to the schools. With no kids/family living with you, it doesn't appear sensible to me. If you do want to be a little closer to Chicago, Highland is a good choice. If you do still want to be close to some of the restaurants and bars in NWI, Schererville might be a better choice but it'll take you a little bit longer to get up to Chicago. None of the 4 (Munster, Highland, Schererville, Dyer) would be a bad decision, all are nice towns in their own ways.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Sounds as if your new job is going pretty good
I have always loved the Munster area and its closer to whiting than valpo
and alot closer to the city if you venture into chicago.

valpo is kind of far
not sure what work you do but getting closer to a larger population base
doesnt hurt either if you ever have to switch jobs
just a thought- not knocking the valpo area or stating there are not jobs over there
I don't really go to Chicago much now since I live so far away...but would visit more often if I lived closer. Valpo is a really nice town and there are a lot of good restaurants, but there isn't a whole lot to do.

You're totally right about there being a lack of jobs in Valpo...another reason I've considered moving in the past.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
As far as Munster goes, I am usually biased because I live there and love the town! But to be honest, your rent may not get you what you want IF you are even able to find a place. That price range is the most competitive in Munster because it is so rare to find anything in town for the price (even in the relatively affordable northwest part of town)...
I've been browsing craigslist, and you're right, there isn't much in Munster to rent.

Quote:
Highland might be an option as well, but there may not be as many people around your age. Slightly older folks. The younger folks that do live there tend to have families with kids (as the Munster and Highland area are VERY family oriented). You may get a little more bang for your buck in Schererville and if you are able to find a nice townhome in a newer development, the chances of living by people around your age will increase. It is still a family oriented area, but I think Schererville/Dyer has a lot of young, mostly single, professionals given the newness and affordability of some of the developments. Check the developments near the movie theaters in Schererville. Also check in the Rockwell subdivision in Dyer (right behind the Jewel Osco)...they are pretty new (around 5 years old) and there are TONS of young people there!
Thanks for the info! I've been in Schererville before and it seems like a nice town although a little bit farther than highland or Munster (not quite as far as Valpo though). How much longer would it take to get to Schererville than Highland or Munster?

Quote:
I've never really been a fan of Portage to be honest. It is a very very affordable area, and there are plenty of townhomes/duplexes but many of them leave much to be desired.
Yeah I've noticed that when looking around so I'm crossing that one off the list

Quote:
But before you do anything, just make sure that this is all financially feasible...I know the long drive may wear you out, but if it does not really affect your job performance and it is cheaper to live in Valpo and make the drive, then stay put. If you can sell your place in Valpo, then maybe look more seriously into moving (Dyer or Schererville).
Since it's a bad market and I might want to move back someday, I was thinking of renting it out and then just renting a townhouse if I can find one. It would cost more to live closer to work but that would be offset by lower gas bill and tolls if I can find something in a decent price range.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
I think it depends on what your interests are. Do you plan on going to Chicago frequently to see friends or for the nightlife?
The nightlife is ok but mainly to see friends more often. There are more festivals, concerts, and things like that also

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
I don't really think it makes sense to live in Munster as a single in your late 20s. I believe that the premium for living in Munster is paid due in large part to the schools. With no kids/family living with you, it doesn't appear sensible to me. If you do want to be a little closer to Chicago, Highland is a good choice. If you do still want to be close to some of the restaurants and bars in NWI, Schererville might be a better choice but it'll take you a little bit longer to get up to Chicago. None of the 4 (Munster, Highland, Schererville, Dyer) would be a bad decision, all are nice towns in their own ways.
Thanks everyone for the info!
It's looking like Highland or Schererville would be the way to go if I were to make the move. I guess the issue is how much longer it would take to get to Schererville than Highland. I'm sure Dyer is a nice town but seems pretty far even though it would be closer than Valpo.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:53 AM

2,155 posts, read 5,452,243 times
You're welcome for the info! And i apologize, I should have specified more when I stated Dyer...As far as Schererville and Dyer go, look in the areas North of Rt. 30 and west of Rt. 41...I am gonna post a link to a subdivision you might be interested...if you were buying, I would stay away (just because the construction quality of this builder is not that good) but if you can find a rental here, it would be great!

Link to neighborhood: Rockwell

Some people who may be trying to sell may want to rent out for a bit...some others have bought for the purpose of renting....regardless, if you see an available rental in this neighborhood in your price, this might be the best option in my opinion...also the neighborhoods east of it as well. But in general, like I said, North of Rt. 30 and west of Rt. 41 may have what you are looking for!

That specific neighborhood has a large number of young adults in the northwestern part of the neighborhood (with the two story townhomes with single-car garage)....mix of young and old in the townhomes and well as the small cottages...and this is only a couple miles south of the southern Munster border...it would take about 40 to 45 minutes to get downtown (depends on traffic/trains)

Old 06-08-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
The nightlife is ok but mainly to see friends more often. There are more festivals, concerts, and things like that also

Thanks everyone for the info!
It's looking like Highland or Schererville would be the way to go if I were to make the move. I guess the issue is how much longer it would take to get to Schererville than Highland. I'm sure Dyer is a nice town but seems pretty far even though it would be closer than Valpo.

If you're looking to find out how much further Schererville is than Highland to Chicago, the answer is not much. Schererville and Highland border eachother. It would of course depend on which part of each town you're comparing, but AT MOST it would add about another 15 mins, and that's a max amount of additional time if you compare the southeast part of Schererville to the Northwest side of Highland.

I wouldn't dismiss Dyer as being far from Chicago either. Actually, Dyer is probably closer than most parts of Schererville to Chicago. From Dyer, you'd just take Rt. 30 to 394 and shoot right up the Dan Ryan to Chicago, it's a very easy trip.

Last edited by svillechris; 06-08-2011 at 12:04 PM..

Old 06-08-2011, 03:06 PM

I want to clarify one thing... Munster is a great town, and it's also a solid option for anyone, especially if you want to be closer to Chicago. I didn't think it made the most sense based on your situation, but I would hope that you don't base where you move to on a stranger's personal opinion. You can't go wrong with any of the 4 that we listed, to be honest. All are close enough to Chicago, all are safe, and all are close enough to eachother where you can be within a few minutes of some nightlife, festivals, etc in the surrounding towns regardless of which town you decide to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana