Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2011, 09:35 PM

11 posts, read 31,286 times

Advertisements

I am hoping that I could get some feedback on Sunnyside Ave in Munster? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 05:46 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,148 times
Default I will try my best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomama05 View Post
I am hoping that I could get some feedback on Sunnyside Ave in Munster? Thank you.
I don't know exactly type of feedback you want, but I will try my best to be comprehensive. This street is in the northwest side of Munster where the vast majority of homes were built around 1940. There are a mix of brick duplexes and single-family homes. It is the most affordable area of Munster as well and good for families starting out. Now having said that, not all of the homes in this area are "entry-level" in price. You can find homes typically ranging from about $100,000 for one side of a duplex to around $350,000 for a custom European style home. Homes are more elaborate and custom on the west side of Hohman Avenue and range from Craftsman style to Art Deco to Early American to European influenced architecture. There are a few homes here and there that are new builds and some of the duplexes have been turned into single-family homes. The closer to Hohman Avenue you are, the closer you are to Sunnyside Park, which is the main park for this area of town. This area of town is served by Eads Elementary School. Being within the Munster School system, the school is a very good school. However, it is probably the weakest of the Munster schools primarily due to a large ESL population that typically drag standardized scores down. However, if I had children, I would have no problem sending my child there for school. Another downside of the area is that relative to the whole town, it typically has the highest crime. Primary cause is the fact there is the highest percentage of rentals in that area (most of the crime is property crime) and it is the highest density area of town. However, it is still LEAPS AND BOUNDS safer than many other areas of NWI. Also, as many duplexes are being converted into single-family homes, the area is becoming more "family-friendly" for the 21st century.

Another plus for this area of town is the proximity to the expressway and you can get to Chicago is 30 minutes (or sometimes less if you drive fast). Also, Calumet Avenue in northern Munster is truly underdoing some serious transformation as buildings get renovated or demolished and rebuilt. We are starting to attract more upscale businesses into town that are good for the town's image and citizens appreciate this. You are also close to what we would call "downtown Munster" that had many nice ma and pa shops and very good restaurants.

Many people attempt to use this area as a means to "get into Munster" but when they find out that they will give up on space and price, they move their search onto the next town's entry-level area (such as downtown/northside of Crown Point or parts of Dyer)...these people are usually trying to get into the best school system for the least dollar and might find that a place is "overpriced" when it really isn't. The reason why I mention this is because you should realize that while this area of town is the "most affordable" overall, it does not mean that your expenses will end at closing. Many homes will need updating, repairs, and if the need arises, expansion. This turns many people off from truly great properties. If you are prepared for these extra expenses then I recommend the area in your search! If not, then I would save more until I can get a truly move-in ready home or a better home in a newer area of town. If you need any more assistance, don't hesitate to ask!

Old 10-10-2011, 06:14 AM

211 posts, read 394,779 times
Munster is near Hammond. I guess nothing can be done about the awful industrial odors in Whiting and Hammond. Horrific at night. Whatever your plans, visit at night and take a few deep breaths. See what it smells like.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:47 AM

Thank you Northwest Indiana! We are looking into relocating to the area: Either Munster, Dyer, Schererville, or St John..but it is VERY important that we get into the Lake Central School District..I have a child with Special needs. We are looking at renting at first and I noticed that there is a rental as well as several homes for sale on that street. I love the charm of an older home....and there is one in particular that I think would work for us. I just made me concerned when the prices are significantly lower than others and there are many for sale. I would hate to get into a bad area.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:57 AM

811 posts, read 2,337,571 times
Quote:
Thank you Northwest Indiana! We are looking into relocating to the area: Either Munster, Dyer, Schererville, or St John..but it is VERY important that we get into the Lake Central School District..I have a child with Special needs. We are looking at renting at first and I noticed that there is a rental as well as several homes for sale on that street. I love the charm of an older home....and there is one in particular that I think would work for us. I just made me concerned when the prices are significantly lower than others and there are many for sale. I would hate to get into a bad area.
Well Northwest Indiana gave you a great description of Munster. My question would be, why is living in Munster even in the question if you're set on having your child go to school in the LC school district? Do you or your husband want to be as close as possible to Chicago for work, perhaps? Also, coming from Sunnyside in Munster all the way to any school in the LC district would be quite a haul, as Sunnyside is in the far northwest part of Munster.

Any of the 4 towns you mentioned are good choices, can't really go wrong with any of them. Also, there is really no "bad area" in any of the 4 towns you mentioned either. They're all extremely safe. If you need more specific information about a certain location, I'd be happy to help.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:01 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,148 times
No problem photomama05!

Also regarding your child with special needs, let me make something clear. Special Needs students are handled through the West Lake Special Education Cooperative (WLSEC) which is a cooperative between LAKE CENTRAL and MUNSTER schools. :-D

The other cooperative in the area, the Northwest Indiana Special Education Cooperative (based in Crown Point) deals with all of the other county school districts minus Hammond, East Chicago, and Gary. I have heard some complaints about this cooperative, mainly that it is much much larger and provides a less intimate environment for socialization of the students than the WLSEC.

No matter which of these two districts you are in, your child will receive the same educational benefits that the cooperative offers! Glad to help!

Also, if you provide a price range, I can get a better idea of areas that will suit you!

Last edited by Northwest Indiana; 10-10-2011 at 10:10 AM..

Old 10-10-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
No problem photomama05!

Also regarding your child with special needs, let me make something clear. Special Needs students are handled through the West Lake Special Education Cooperative (WLSEC) which is a cooperative between LAKE CENTRAL and MUNSTER schools. :-D

The other cooperative in the area, the Northwest Indiana Special Education Cooperative (based in Crown Point) deals with all of the other county school districts minus Hammond, East Chicago, and Gary. I have heard some complaints about this cooperative, mainly that it is much much larger and provides a less intimate environment for socialization of the students than the WLSEC.

No matter which of these two districts you are in, your child will receive the same educational benefits that the cooperative offers! Glad to help!

Also, if you provide a price range, I can get a better idea of areas that will suit you!

Svillechris.....Northwest Indiana made more sense of what I was trying to say. My child MUST go to an elemantary school that works with West Lake Special Education Co-op...that's why I am considering Munster.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:57 AM

811 posts, read 2,337,571 times
Quote:
Svillechris.....Northwest Indiana made more sense of what I was trying to say. My child MUST go to an elemantary school that works with West Lake Special Education Co-op...that's why I am considering Munster.
Gotcha, that makes sense. West Lake Co-op is top notch, I know that based on first hand experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana