Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 10:05 AM

811 posts, read 2,337,844 times

Advertisements

This is an interesting topic. I feel like almost everyone growing up, in Northwest Indiana and beyond, always has the "grass is greener" feel and complains about how they're moving to the big city or California when they can get out. Some have, and some love where they live. But I know so many people (and I'm about half the age of PJ8 and Capt. Dan lol) who have left the area and have already come back. This area sure isn't perfect, but when you have a world renouned city within an hour, a great lake with beaches, and all four seasons, those things get overlooked by many who realize they will miss the area after leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 09:41 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I've done much traveling over the years and have visited many farmers markets. I have yet to find even one that compares to Thursday nights on Higuera!
I know! I live in the old wineman hotel so literally step out my front door every Thursday to 5 blocks of bbq, fresh foods, live music, and its just so alive. Everyone's laughing and smiling. Pretty amazing.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:08 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I know! I live in the old wineman hotel so literally step out my front door every Thursday to 5 blocks of bbq, fresh foods, live music, and its just so alive. Everyone's laughing and smiling. Pretty amazing.
And have you ever seen so many great lookin ladies in 1 spot?? I still remember my first week back here in Tennessee after leaving SLO. Opening up a CAN of veggies instead of getting to eat all the fresh stuff I had got at the farmers market.Before then I had never realized the taste of sodium in my food. By the way, I'll be in SLO/Santa Cruz early August. I'll buy you a brew!

Old 11-29-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
And have you ever seen so many great lookin ladies in 1 spot?? I still remember my first week back here in Tennessee after leaving SLO. Opening up a CAN of veggies instead of getting to eat all the fresh stuff I had got at the farmers market.Before then I had never realized the taste of sodium in my food. By the way, I'll be in SLO/Santa Cruz early August. I'll buy you a brew!
ill take ya up on that for sure Capt. Dan! Oh man, the woman here....I have to learn to walk with my head down! I been all over CA and most the united states n ill say SLO is overabundant with gorgeous woman. It's probably 70% of what keeps me from moving back to indiana, lol jk, but really :-)

Old 11-29-2011, 05:54 PM

Ps- and I just got word its snowing back there! And I took a country drive, picked oranges, and hiked the mountains and walked the beach in 77 degree weather....I'm only now starting to UN-miss Indiana lol. still miss my brothers though.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Ps- and I just got word its snowing back there! And I took a country drive, picked oranges, and hiked the mountains and walked the beach in 77 degree weather....I'm only now starting to UN-miss Indiana lol. still miss my brothers though.
F*** You!!!!!!!

Old 11-30-2011, 12:59 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Yes, there are many things to love about IN. I've been in NWI my entire life (57 years) except for one year when I was in my late 20s when I sought greener pastures in MO. Loved MO, but missed IN and came back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
The Boomerang effect at its finest
For sure!
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:53 PM

5 posts, read 19,568 times
I dont understand how someone can miss Northern Indiana, very depressing area. All I think about is getting as far away from Northern Indiana as I can. Just need to find a job somewhere else

Old 12-02-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw46360 View Post
I dont understand how someone can miss Northern Indiana, very depressing area. All I think about is getting as far away from Northern Indiana as I can. Just need to find a job somewhere else
While there are things about Gary that I miss, I have to remind myself that it is a long past Gary that I miss. Gary Indiana in the 50s 60s and early 70s. It may be hard for some of the youngsters on this forum to believe, but Gary was a most wonderful place to be a kid. To get educated. And to feel a sense of community and belonging. I dont think I could possibly miss what it is today.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:41 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw46360 View Post
If you read the OP, he would have said the same thing before he left. Not that you might not like the new place better, but you realize there were things to appreciate. The downside of moving many times can be that you have things you miss about many different places. The upside, all the things you've left behind that you didn't want to deal with.
Also, people can value different things at different times in their life. Your thinking about a certain place can change with time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana