Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 09:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,675 times

Advertisements

There are currently close to 150 houses listed for sale in Dyer but only one recently sold? How long has the housing marking been this slow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 10:58 PM

815 posts, read 2,998,701 times
Where did you get those numbers?

There is 137 residential listings with real estate agents in Dyer on Nov. 25, 2011. Ten of those are under contract. 52 listings (sold) have closed in the last three months alone (104 in the last six months). Those numbers don't include any private sales (without a realtor).

That means it's actually not too bad, the listing to sales ratio is pretty good. That means that a properly priced house has a very good chance in selling pretty quickly (within a few months).

Old 11-26-2011, 03:49 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
Where did you get those numbers?

There is 137 residential listings with real estate agents in Dyer on Nov. 25, 2011. Ten of those are under contract. 52 listings (sold) have closed in the last three months alone (104 in the last six months). Those numbers don't include any private sales (without a realtor).

That means it's actually not too bad, the listing to sales ratio is pretty good. That means that a properly priced house has a very good chance in selling pretty quickly (within a few months).
The OP probably got the numbers from Realtor.com or Zillow.com (which is TERRIBLE by the way)...many of the numbers there are inaccurate at best.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:27 PM

2 posts, read 5,675 times
guilty as charged. where can I find more official/accurate statistics? Thank you.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:07 AM

815 posts, read 2,998,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjll2011 View Post
guilty as charged. where can I find more official/accurate statistics? Thank you.
That's not too easy to figure out by the general public. I would have you go to the website of our local realtor board (GNAIR, Greater Northwest Indiana Association of Realtors), but the website was recently redesigned and they haven't re-posted all of the facts and figures out for the public yet. Hopefully they will be back soon. They do announce sales figures every once and a while (it will be in the Times and Post Trib). You can use the search feature on GNAIR to see how many homes are for sale presently, but it doesn't let you search what sold. So if you have a specific question just ask and I can try to answer.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:52 PM

145 posts, read 388,188 times
are zillow and trulia good, accurate sites to check out if you're looking to buy a house in that area, or any area for that matter?

Old 05-31-2012, 12:54 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
No, generally not accurate.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:48 PM

So I see that the Pennington subdivision by Olthof homes has been approved...

Dyer planners approve Pennington subdivision

However, my question is...why would Olthof spend the money to clear this heavily wooded area for a new development when literally, on the other side of Briarwood, sits the unfinished Village Circle subdivision???

I know it is their right as landowners to pursue development of their property...but personally, I would rather finish a subdivision than start a new one (right by it) especially when the other subdivision (Village Circle) has not seen much new construction in a while...and the housing styles will most likely be the same Village Circle or Hearthstone (unless Olthof is going to be strictly building the "Signature Series" of homes in Pennington)...am I missing something here??? Is my logic flawed??? If so, please let me know but this just seems a little strange.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:13 AM

277 posts, read 442,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
So I see that the Pennington subdivision by Olthof homes has been approved...

Dyer planners approve Pennington subdivision

However, my question is...why would Olthof spend the money to clear this heavily wooded area for a new development when literally, on the other side of Briarwood, sits the unfinished Village Circle subdivision???

I know it is their right as landowners to pursue development of their property...but personally, I would rather finish a subdivision than start a new one (right by it) especially when the other subdivision (Village Circle) has not seen much new construction in a while...and the housing styles will most likely be the same Village Circle or Hearthstone (unless Olthof is going to be strictly building the "Signature Series" of homes in Pennington)...am I missing something here??? Is my logic flawed??? If so, please let me know but this just seems a little strange.
A very close friend of mine lives in Hearthstone and sits on the board of their HOA. Our discussions have been limited, but the 'gossip' has always been that Phase II of Village Circle got squashed (or put on an indefinite hiatus) due to the landowner outrageously pricing the land for Phase II when he/she saw that the demand was going to be so high after seeing how well Phase I did. Olthof gambled in my opinion when they opted not to buy the entire property but not knowing how well it was going to go in the first place makes sense not to have done so.

I'm sure Olthof sees the value of the location, but it makes me wonder if they're doing everything they can to simply NOT give in to the price jump and wait until it comes down. Maybe it's out of spite, or maybe it will literally price the housing out of their typical selling prices due to the land cost alone. It really is a shame.

I think their long term plan always included Pennington, so why not move forward on this, and play the waiting game for Village Circle Phase II. That property isn't going anywhere, I'd imagine.

The park planned in Village Circle Phase II was probably a huge selling incentive for the Phase I people. It looks like they will be taking the wetlands area just east of this adjacent to the railroad tracks on the way to Schererville that will include a park and walking trail. Seems like they're doing what they can to fulfill at least something in terms of the missing park piece to the subdivisions.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:42 PM

Exclamation Village Circle West

So Providence Real Estate will be developing this land, no longer Olthof. I have mixed feelings on this. Overall, I think the quality of homes built at the same price-level is better with Providence than with Olthof. However, recently, with the introduction of their "Signature Series", Olthof has really stepped their game up. I just don't understand how Olthof could not finish developing this subdivision BUT in addition to currently developing other subdivisions in NWI (including a financially risky entrance into Merrillville now...albeit in existing subdivisions), they are developing the new Pennington subdivision in Dyer, just west of Village Circle/Village Circle West. I wonder why Olthof would give up the opportunity to not finish this subdivision.

Also, any thoughts on the councilman's comment on thinking the proposed price-range is too low for this development? Would the higher price-range of Olthof's Signature series been better? I think the price-range is in line with what was already developed BUT being in that this is the last plot of buildable land in Dyer NORTH of 30 (with the exception of Pennington and the Shannon Bridge extension of Briar Ridge), I think slightly higher-end homes would do well.

Dyer Plan Commission gets first look at Village Circle West
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana