U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 09:22 AM

829 posts, read 1,041,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
DONT even start with that bull here again. I was taking into account MULTIPLE factors into comparing Matteson and Merrillville. If you do not agree with me, that is fine. But don't try to stir up that "yall are just being racist" crap here again. Nobody's having it.

I may have been inferring the wrong thing from your post. Maybe it was just the way I interpreted what you wrote. But if so, my inference was partially based on previous postings where you and several other posters have stated some pretty outrageously racist things. Particularly about Matteson and other surrounding south suburban areas. Mainly that the area is declining just because it has more blacks. Without regard to the fact that majority of the blacks moving to Matteson and surrounding areas are middle class. You previously stated something or another along the lines that the first wave of blacks are decent. The blacks that follow them destroy the area. And generally that the area is somehow destined to decline as future waves of blacks move in and destroy it.

So when I read your post and saw you comparing matteson to an area right next to gary. And by your own previous postings Merrillville and neighboring gary are areas that you would not recommend and are in decline. Matteson borders some very affluent areas on both sides. Being frankfort and olympia fields. This is not a Merrillville next to gary scenario. Which is a completely impoverished large area. Probably the largest impoverished area in the chicagoland area.

I pointed out what I believed to be a valid point. That the median household income in Merrillville is drastically lower. Particularly if you compare newer matteson on the west end of town. Where the "new wave" of blacks have mostly moved to. The census tract that encompasses that area of matteson currently has a median income of almost $95,000 per household. http://www.chicagonewscoop.org/black...south-suburbs/

Last edited by allen2323; 01-27-2012 at 09:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 10:24 AM

1,323 posts, read 1,841,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
I may have been inferring the wrong thing from your post. Maybe it was just the way I interpreted what you wrote. But if so, my inference was partially based on previous postings where you and several other posters have stated some pretty outrageously racist things. Particularly about Matteson and other surrounding south suburban areas. Mainly that the area is declining just because it has more blacks. Without regard to the fact that majority of the blacks moving to Matteson and surrounding areas are middle class. You previously stated something or another along the lines that the first wave of blacks are decent. The blacks that follow them destroy the area. And generally that the area is somehow destined to decline as future waves of blacks move in and destroy it.

So when I read your post and saw you comparing matteson to an area right next to gary. And by your own previous postings Merrillville and neighboring gary are areas that you would not recommend and are in decline. Matteson borders some very affluent areas on both sides. Being frankfort and olympia fields. This is not a Merrillville next to gary scenario. Which is a completely impoverished large area. Probably the largest impoverished area in the chicagoland area.

I pointed out what I believed to be a valid point. That the median household income in Merrillville is drastically lower. Particularly if you compare newer matteson on the west end of town. Where the "new wave" of blacks have mostly moved to. The census tract that encompasses that area of matteson currently has a median income of almost $95,000 per household. http://www.chicagonewscoop.org/black...south-suburbs/
If you are going to try quoting me, then actually do it and show your proof. The comment that I made was more so in reference to the perceptions of the original inhabitants of an area, not necessarily my own personal views. But it must be too much work for you to look deeper into what people post if you don't agree with them.

YOU have attempted to derail the topic at hand. SO I am not going to entertain you anymore by responding to your useless rants about how "all you guys in nwi are racist" when you rarely step foot into Indiana to even experience what there is here. (self-admittedly). Bye.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:13 PM

829 posts, read 1,041,740 times
I certainly did not mean to insinuate that all people who live in NWI are racist. I just pointed out the obvious that virtually all of the posters making racist comments regarding matteson and other nearby southern suburbs proclaimed to live in predominantly white Northwest Indiana towns.

But aside from that. Just curious to know what exactly is your opinion on an article published yesterday. It's regarding a subdivision issue in Merrillville that I found to be very interesting. Apparently a lot of homeowners in the Innsbrook subdivision which apparently has a sizable number of middle class black homeowners are having problems with flooding in there homes and a mosquito-infested algae filled pond. They feel that town officials and the developer failed to solve existing drainage problems and conspired to sell defective homes to blacks. Innsbrook residents, Merrillville, still disagreeing about pond - Post-Tribune

I also came across some minutes pertaining to this issue from the Merrillville plan commission meeting. I have to say that after reading the minutes which detailed the response of the town plan commision regarding the matter. I tend to take the side of the homeowners. At least to the respect that the village seems to be rather unconcerned with these particular homeowners' rather serious problem. The village seems to take an "oh well forget about them" type of stance. Or hey what in the heck are they complaining about? Your basement is suppose to flood. After all it is underground isn't it? I certainly wouldn't want these dimwits looking after my best interest as a homeowner.

They begin to discuss the Innbrook subdivision at the bottom of page 5.

http://www.merrillville.in.gov/meeti...2001-15-08.pdf

Old 01-30-2012, 06:58 PM

1,968 posts, read 1,557,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
I certainly did not mean to insinuate that all people who live in NWI are racist. I just pointed out the obvious that virtually all of the posters making racist comments regarding matteson and other nearby southern suburbs proclaimed to live in predominantly white Northwest Indiana towns.

But aside from that. Just curious to know what exactly is your opinion on an article published yesterday. It's regarding a subdivision issue in Merrillville that I found to be very interesting. Apparently a lot of homeowners in the Innsbrook subdivision which apparently has a sizable number of middle class black homeowners are having problems with flooding in there homes and a mosquito-infested algae filled pond. They feel that town officials and the developer failed to solve existing drainage problems and conspired to sell defective homes to blacks. Innsbrook residents, Merrillville, still disagreeing about pond - Post-Tribune

I also came across some minutes pertaining to this issue from the Merrillville plan commission meeting. I have to say that after reading the minutes which detailed the response of the town plan commision regarding the matter. I tend to take the side of the homeowners. At least to the respect that the village seems to be rather unconcerned with these particular homeowners' rather serious problem. The village seems to take an "oh well forget about them" type of stance. Or hey what in the heck are they complaining about? Your basement is suppose to flood. After all it is underground isn't it? I certainly wouldn't want these dimwits looking after my best interest as a homeowner.

They begin to discuss the Innbrook subdivision at the bottom of page 5.

http://www.merrillville.in.gov/meeti...2001-15-08.pdf
This is completely irrelevant to this thread. You should post this as a separate thread on the NWI subforum.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 755 times
I live in this subdivision and have for almost a year now. This is our second time living in NWI and the last time we lived here we said if we ever got transferred back we were moving to Crown Point. I love living in Crown Point! It is like living in your own little world; I only leave it to go to places like Costco, the mall or Target. :-) The Target in St. Johns is nicer than the one off of 30 near the mall- just a heads up if you move here. Back to the subdivision, the builder was easy to work with and also our realtor ( she works in their model homes- I can give you her name if you would like it- I will use her again if and when my husband gets transferred again). We purchased one of their model homes and had them do some upgrades before moving in. Since we were transferring here we were able to worked with them on using the house as model until we actually moved in due to our kids stills being school, which made everyone happy. Also with us buying in this subdivision they were and I think they still are giving a free year membership to Youche Country Club. So I don't know if your family golfs but if you don't it's is still worth it for the pool access during the summer time!! Also during the summer time the club offers a junior golf clinic which my oldest kid enjoyed last year and my youngest also wants to do this year. Both of my kids took private swimming lessons from the lifeguards at the club last summer too- this is not done through the club but all you have to do is talk to the pool manager and she sets it all up and you pay her. There is always at least 2 lifeguards on duty at all times which is nice. So, I guess what I am saying is I love the house we bought- the builder was good and easy to work with, the area is great, the club membership became highlight and our realtor made it all happen. Everyone else already told you about the schools- but I will let you know that my kids go to Dwight Eisenhower and they love it there, they love their teacher- I love it there as a parent! The teachers and staff are great. It won a national Blue Ribbon Award this year which is awesome- since only I think 9 public schools in the entire state of IN were given this award!!
I hope this helpsW

Old 04-24-2012, 07:00 PM

1 posts, read 682 times
Not sure if your still looking...but we are planning on moving to The Regency when our current home sells. I like how it is close to all the schools & the YMCA; I think it's a great location! We are building with Lifehouse Homes, which are a little bit more affordable than Providence who also builds in the Regency. Also, they are putting in park in the subdivision. I think it's a great place to raise a family!

Old 04-24-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpunkin18 View Post
Not sure if your still looking...but we are planning on moving to The Regency when our current home sells. I like how it is close to all the schools & the YMCA; I think it's a great location! We are building with Lifehouse Homes, which are a little bit more affordable than Providence who also builds in the Regency. Also, they are putting in park in the subdivision. I think it's a great place to raise a family!
That's great! Are you new to Crown Point?

Old 10-29-2012, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 516 times
Just purchased a home in the Regency. Build to be finished in 60 days. Have friends who have been living there since the first home was built. Great location...schools, hospital, YMCA(which is fantastic), etc.
The homes are built to the most minimal regulations, however, they are built structurally well. Homes are in a low area so your sump pump will be running constantly in a rain. We got screwed on a "$1000 referral program", so read into the details very carefully if this is a draw to you. Lived in CP my entire life and very much looking forward to the move to this subdivision.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:43 AM

257 posts, read 204,474 times
Is the High School in Merrillville really that bad compared to Crown Point? The number of students at Merrillville is a bit lower and every High School has its bad and good.
Would a High School with a small or large number of students be better for a student where english is there second language and would coming from a different country?

Old 10-31-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranosb View Post
Is the High School in Merrillville really that bad compared to Crown Point? The number of students at Merrillville is a bit lower and every High School has its bad and good.
Would a High School with a small or large number of students be better for a student where english is there second language and would coming from a different country?
In recent years, Merrillville has had to deal with many more issues that were once thought to be limited primarily to urban areas (e.g., gang violence, lack of parental involvement, safety concerns, etc.) but in a largely suburban setting. These are issues that Crown Point does not really have to deal with (at least, yet).

While Merrillville HS is a bit smaller than CPHS, this is only by about 200-300 students. Both school populations are growing (CP at a higher rate). While each school has its bad and good, it seems as though at CPHS the good outweighs the bad and at Merrillville HS, the bad outweighs the good.

What language is the students first language? If the student is eastern european, best schools would probably be Lake Central or Crown Point. Maybe Munster as well. Asian and Western European students would probably do best in Munster. Spanish-speaking students would probably be able to do well in any NWI school district as there are sizeable amounts of spanish-speakers in districts throughout the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana