U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 02-16-2012, 01:09 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California
8 posts, read 7,949 times
Reputation: 10
Default Moving to Northwest Indiana .. is there any houses to rent!?

We are moving our family of 7 to Northwest Indiana, my husbands family is out there and he has a job. We are looking for a home to rent (4 bedroom) in or around Valparaiso, or near Chesterton.. I am having NO luck.. Do no houses exist for rent out there or am I looking in the wrong places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-17-2012, 05:54 AM
 
1,323 posts, read 1,841,860 times
Reputation: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardolly View Post
We are moving our family of 7 to Northwest Indiana, my husbands family is out there and he has a job. We are looking for a home to rent (4 bedroom) in or around Valparaiso, or near Chesterton.. I am having NO luck.. Do no houses exist for rent out there or am I looking in the wrong places?
There should be a good portion of homes to rent in and around that whole area. However, one thing I would suggest is if you find a house FOR SALE that you like, contact the realtor and see if you can work out a deal with the owners about renting. Try craigslist as well. I know some people who have had success with both. If this is not realistic and you don't HAVE to be in Valpo or Chesterton, try Portage. Portage will most likely have a larger inventory of rentals. However, the schools (mostly the high school) are not as good as Valpo and Chesterton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2012, 07:46 AM
 
4 posts, read 6,881 times
Reputation: 11
We are in the same boat. We are selling our house in Michigan, but want to move to Chesterton in June. We plan on renting until our house sells, but I can't find ANY rentals. Anything listed is either an apartment or a townhouse, and that just isn't feasible for our family of 6! We are able to pay upwards of $1000/month, but there just aren't any out there. You would think with the amount of houses on the market that are just sitting stagnant there would be more options!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2012, 10:09 PM
 
3,345 posts, read 4,244,783 times
Reputation: 1959
Quote:
Originally Posted by flutterby3744 View Post
We are in the same boat. We are selling our house in Michigan, but want to move to Chesterton in June. We plan on renting until our house sells, but I can't find ANY rentals. Anything listed is either an apartment or a townhouse, and that just isn't feasible for our family of 6! We are able to pay upwards of $1000/month, but there just aren't any out there. You would think with the amount of houses on the market that are just sitting stagnant there would be more options!

You are most definitely going to need to increase your budget.

For example ... a two bed/one bath, 800 sq. ft house in Valpo is most likely going to rent for about $800/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Chicago
40 posts, read 30,722 times
Reputation: 46
There is a real lack of quality rental properties in the area. I have been looking for the last 6 months and have come up short.

If you were looking to purchase, I would think the sky is the limit. I assume the difference between a mortgage and rent in the area is not substantial enough to keep people in rentals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2012, 09:17 AM
 
4 posts, read 6,881 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
You are most definitely going to need to increase your budget.

For example ... a two bed/one bath, 800 sq. ft house in Valpo is most likely going to rent for about $800/month.

I said UPWARDS of $1000. In otherwards, we are willing to pay for quality. They just aren't out there!

We are not ready to buy yet. For one, our current house has to sell first. We cannot get a mortgage with an already existing one. And for two, I would like to become more familiar with the area before I buy.

We did find a duplex, but it's 1100 a month, only three bedroom/no basement, no utilities included (including trash which I find a little crazy!!), and it looks like kind of a shadier area of town.

Oh well, it's only temporary!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2012, 06:27 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,000 times
Reputation: 10
iam trying to move to portage in my march 1st 2013. i have se8 vocher. and need a 3 bedroom home. i can pay up to 1000 in rent please help my [email]buckhanan_pallace@yahoo.com[/email]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2013, 12:38 PM
 
2 posts, read 1,691 times
Reputation: 10
Default 5br - Beautiful home, convenient location, low taxes, excellent schools (Valparaiso / Chesterton Schools)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardolly View Post
We are moving our family of 7 to Northwest Indiana, my husbands family is out there and he has a job. We are looking for a home to rent (4 bedroom) in or around Valparaiso, or near Chesterton.. I am having NO luck.. Do no houses exist for rent out there or am I looking in the wrong places?
I have a 5 bedroom 3 bath. Best place ever to raise my kids! They have since went on to college. griggs762@gmail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2013, 12:44 PM
 
2 posts, read 1,691 times
Reputation: 10
Default No Portage - Try Valpo or Chesterton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
There should be a good portion of homes to rent in and around that whole area. However, one thing I would suggest is if you find a house FOR SALE that you like, contact the realtor and see if you can work out a deal with the owners about renting. Try craigslist as well. I know some people who have had success with both. If this is not realistic and you don't HAVE to be in Valpo or Chesterton, try Portage. Portage will most likely have a larger inventory of rentals. However, the schools (mostly the high school) are not as good as Valpo and Chesterton.
Not to offend anyone but I have lived in the area for some time. Moved here from Sacramento, Ca, about 10 years ago. Best thing ever for my kids who were small. I would look in Valparaiso or Chesterton. Portage schools are... in my opinion, not as good and much, much rougher area. Both of my kids graduated from Chesterton and they both are going on to big ten schools. I have a home in Valpo., if you are interested. griggs762@gmail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2013, 01:01 PM
 
1,006 posts, read 598,787 times
Reputation: 1514
Contact a local realtor, they should be able to help you far better than the common online places aimed at students. I know i looked on Zillow recently and saw a dozen or so rentals in that area (houses), but didn't note any details so you could try that or Trulia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top