Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:02 AM

8 posts, read 21,245 times

Advertisements

Hi...
I am eyeing a possible move to the Northwest Indiana area in the very near future . I am going to be working at a university in Hammond Indiana. I have been researching areas to live in that are close to the university. Let me first say that I do not mind a commute. I currently commute about 45 minutes each way to work in Pennsylvania. I originally thought about living in Chicago and commuting until I came to the area last week and got caught up in the famous Chicago traffic. however, I am still not scared away from that idea. I would like to be able to hop up to Chicago on a whim, but do not necessarily have to live there. I tried to research some of the suburbs south of Chicago and in Indiana, but the reviews of both seem exciting and scary at the same time. Can ANYONE give me some honest advice on the best neighborhoods closest to Hammond, IN, yet still within an hours drive of Chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 10:25 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,242,948 times
The first place that comes to mind is Munster and then Highland. If you can be a bit more specific about the kind of place (rent/buy) you are looking for, it would make it easier to make suggestions. Most any place in NWI will put you within an hour of Chicago.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:51 PM

6 posts, read 21,195 times
I say Munster is good. If you want to have about a 15 minute commute to Hammond and about a 45 minute commute to Chicago, try Schererville, St. John, Dyer. You could live in Hammond, but you must do research first.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:42 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,484,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanman1224 View Post
I say Munster is good. If you want to have about a 15 minute commute to Hammond and about a 45 minute commute to Chicago, try Schererville, St. John, Dyer. You could live in Hammond, but you must do research first.
Hammond is hit or miss so ya i recommend doing your research. make sure the area is safe.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
The first place that comes to mind is Munster and then Highland. If you can be a bit more specific about the kind of place (rent/buy) you are looking for, it would make it easier to make suggestions. Most any place in NWI will put you within an hour of Chicago.
Thanks for all of the guidance. Just to give some more specific information about what I am looking for, as suggested by "rrah", I am looking to rent when I initially move to the area. This will give me a year or so to decide what I want to do. I could spend up to $1,500/month if the place is nice enough. Primarily I am looking for somewhere safe and within an hours drive of Chicago. Because my fiancee will be there, I can't stress how important safety is. I don't mind a quiet neighborhood, but would like to have some conveniences close by (i.e. shopping, entertainment, etc.). We don't have any kids, but do have a small dog. We are just looking for a nice neighborhood where we could be safe and enjoy a great quality of life. this is just the beginning of my research, but I thought i'd come to you as all of teh threads that i've read tell me that you are all the experts. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of your help!!!

Old 03-27-2012, 04:31 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,713,548 times
Given your rent limit, I would look into Munster, or Highland. Check into areas in South Hammond/Hessville if you will be working at Purdue. Streets may vary.

If I had a choice, I'd go with Munster.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:21 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,242,948 times
I agree with artemis and my original recommendation--Munster or Highland. This will put you closest to Hammond and Chicago can definitely be reached in under an hour.

FYI--If you use craigslist, NWI is a sub-category in the Chicago area listings.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:24 AM

17,763 posts, read 39,604,513 times
South Hammond would be closer to your work and a short train trip into the city ... if you're only wanting to rent for a year to get a lay of the land while being close to your job ...

$1500 a month would go further in South Hammond

Old 03-30-2012, 12:33 PM

31 posts, read 53,756 times
I graduated from the University you are talking about and I never felt unsafe walking around there. Heck if you can rent a house right across the street I would go for it. I like the architecture around there and how it feels in the fall with all the leaves on the ground. If not maybe you can move just north of munster highschool on columbia? if you ever have kids they will still be eligible to go to munster high which is supposed to be really good. There are definitely some ****ty parts of hammond though so be careful. But the area around the university i've always felt was pretty nice.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscrazed2 View Post
I graduated from the University you are talking about and I never felt unsafe walking around there. Heck if you can rent a house right across the street I would go for it. I like the architecture around there and how it feels in the fall with all the leaves on the ground. If not maybe you can move just north of munster highschool on columbia? if you ever have kids they will still be eligible to go to munster high which is supposed to be really good. There are definitely some ****ty parts of hammond though so be careful. But the area around the university i've always felt was pretty nice.
Thank you so much for this post. All of them have been a great help, but this one is the one that I have been hoping for. I visited the campus last week and you are right, the area around the campus is very nice. thanks, again!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana