Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 03:30 PM

2,155 posts, read 5,449,526 times

Advertisements

Well the major anchor names have been officially released...mostly basic places so far...sister stores of what we already have.

Regency Centers to Begin 148,000 SF Ground-Up Retail Development in Schererville, Ind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 03:08 AM

Default Site Plan

Here is the current site plan
Attached Thumbnails
New Retail Development in Schererville-060023-sp.jpg  

Old 07-11-2013, 08:27 AM

811 posts, read 2,323,058 times
Well, better late than never I suppose. The retail development on Indianapolis Blvd. where the Krispy Kreme building is right now finally got the go-ahead. The "Coming in Spring 2013" sign was comical from the outset since that was an unattainable goal, but at least we seem to be making some progress with this. I also was unaware that Josh Halpern from Albert's is heading up the project.

S'ville approves Indianapolis Boulevard commercial center : Schererville News

Old 07-11-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
Well, better late than never I suppose. The retail development on Indianapolis Blvd. where the Krispy Kreme building is right now finally got the go-ahead. The "Coming in Spring 2013" sign was comical from the outset since that was an unattainable goal, but at least we seem to be making some progress with this. I also was unaware that Josh Halpern from Albert's is heading up the project.

S'ville approves Indianapolis Boulevard commercial center : Schererville News
Of course, I was waiting for you to post this! I saw it but I said to myself "I'll let svillechris have this post" lol. The most interesting part of this project is that it is supposed to have facades and entrances.

It's gonna be interesting to see the additional retailers that are supposed to come to Shops on Main...so far, so underwhelming...

Anyway, here is a rendering from the listing site for Shoppes on the Boulevard..I saw this a while ago and of course some things may turn out to be different:
Attached Thumbnails
New Retail Development in Schererville-rendering.jpg  

Old 07-24-2013, 05:13 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,606,907 times
I was at the Townhall meeting in Plum Creek a few weeks ago and we were told that Ross would be considered the anchor store for Shops on Main.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:47 AM

Technically, the anchors are Gordman's, Ross, HomeGoods, and DSW. In the site plan, there is also a vacant space for another anchor adjacent to DSW as well as a space for a Junior Anchor in its own building that would be a little larger than the DSW space...anyway, hopefully there will be more upscale small stores that come. If not, then hopefully the Centennial Village in Munster will have the upscale retailers.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:21 PM

16 posts, read 31,238 times
This is truly unfortunate that something like this is the biggest development in the area. Those aren't impressive anchors, in my view.

I grew up in Munster in the 70s/80s, moved away but have had relatives still in town who I visit. At the time, the whole area just seemed a notch or two better, maybe even comparable to a lot of good suburbs of Chicago. It seems like NWI has slowly, steadily slipped more than a bit.

The thing is, it isn't like that everywhere. Other places I've lived, including in the Chicago area (where I am now), have seen continued growth and development. Great retail stores, cool restaurants, etc. Quite a few suburbs have these things. Northwest Indiana seems stuck spinning its wheels and actually sliding backwards. It's not even close.

No Trader Joe's, no Whole Foods, no upscale restaurants.....I was hoping the area would get this, but there just isn't the market for it, so it seems. What's baseline normal in terms of dining/shopping options in prosperous, middle-to-upper middle class suburbs of Chicago is barely evident in NWI.

Was a great place to grow up, and I really hope things turn around there.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:24 AM

811 posts, read 2,323,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Play View Post
This is truly unfortunate that something like this is the biggest development in the area. Those aren't impressive anchors, in my view.

I grew up in Munster in the 70s/80s, moved away but have had relatives still in town who I visit. At the time, the whole area just seemed a notch or two better, maybe even comparable to a lot of good suburbs of Chicago. It seems like NWI has slowly, steadily slipped more than a bit.

The thing is, it isn't like that everywhere. Other places I've lived, including in the Chicago area (where I am now), have seen continued growth and development. Great retail stores, cool restaurants, etc. Quite a few suburbs have these things. Northwest Indiana seems stuck spinning its wheels and actually sliding backwards. It's not even close.

No Trader Joe's, no Whole Foods, no upscale restaurants.....I was hoping the area would get this, but there just isn't the market for it, so it seems. What's baseline normal in terms of dining/shopping options in prosperous, middle-to-upper middle class suburbs of Chicago is barely evident in NWI.

Was a great place to grow up, and I really hope things turn around there.
Seems like you're painting with a pretty broad brush here. Anyone familiar with Northwest Indiana in the last 20 years or so knows that it would almost always be inaccurate to make generalizations about the whole area, seeing as how the towns in NWI can be so different from one another. I would agree with you that a handful of towns in NWI really have slipped some, no doubt about it. The same can be said about some IL suburbs too. But there are still a good number of towns that have really flourished in the past decade or two, and definitely since the 70s/80s. Towns such as Valparaiso, Schererville, Dyer, St. John, Crown Point, Munster, and Chesterton have all see significant population growth (some in this list more than others), real estate prices rising, and schools excelling. I agree with you that the area in general could use a Whole Foods or Trader Joes and a some more upscale shopping, but those alone do not mean the area as a whole is "sliding backwards". I also can't agree with your "no upscale restaurants" comment. Sorry, that's just not true.

Also it might be worth keeping things in perspective. I'm not sure what part of Chicagoland you live or are describing in your comment, but keep in mind that in most instances in IL you're going to be paying significantly more for your supposed better standard of living. It's all relative. Although I'd agree that NWI has a lot of untapped potential and room to bring more of these amenities you mentioned to the area, several towns in the area still offer a very good standard of living for a reasonable price.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:59 PM

24 posts, read 162,898 times
Is it true that Forman Mills and Shoppers World will also be anchors for Shops on Main?

Old 07-26-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
Is it true that Forman Mills and Shoppers World will also be anchors for Shops on Main?
Where did you hear that from??? There isn't enough space left in the first phase of the project to accomodate those stores. Whoever brought up that idea better be trolling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana