U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 07:47 AM

621 posts, read 923,703 times
Well this appears to be some good news. Assuming the details of the financing can be hashed out, Whole Foods plans to open in Schererville in the Shops on Main development. Hopefully this is a sign of more upscale tenants to come in this retail center.

Whole Foods in talks with Schererville - Post-Tribune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 06:58 PM

1,323 posts, read 1,841,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
Well this appears to be some good news. Assuming the details of the financing can be hashed out, Whole Foods plans to open in Schererville in the Shops on Main development. Hopefully this is a sign of more upscale tenants to come in this retail center.

Whole Foods in talks with Schererville - Post-Tribune
When I saw this in the paper, I was hoping to be able to post it before you Beat me to it again! This will be a game changer for the area...imagine all that would follow in the area! You better believe that Trader Joe's will come if WFM comes. It is still interesting that it would be locating in a shopping center that is anchored completely by discoun retailers...but at this point, who cares? Hope this goes through!

Old 08-14-2013, 03:17 PM

673 posts, read 1,099,602 times
Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Its not a done deal yet. It's only talk at this point. Since they are talking to the town they are very likely looking for incentives (tax breaks etc), if they don't get them, or not enough, they won't sign a lease.

They are going to want incentives because our overall income levels are lower then they generally want. That's the only reason why we know they are around looking, since most new retailers locations aren't made public before a signed lease. My guess, if they do sign, it will be one of their smaller sized locations (which may be a good decision on their part), unless Boyer-Regency is willing to redesign a portion of the development or they go into the second phase portion.

I guess they have had enough feedback from people. Until recently they wouldn't even consider NWI.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:54 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,017,447 times
I'd take a Trader Joe's over Whole Foods any day.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:02 PM

1,323 posts, read 1,841,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Its not a done deal yet. It's only talk at this point. Since they are talking to the town they are very likely looking for incentives (tax breaks etc), if they don't get them, or not enough, they won't sign a lease.

They are going to want incentives because our overall income levels are lower then they generally want. That's the only reason why we know they are around looking, since most new retailers locations aren't made public before a signed lease. My guess, if they do sign, it will be one of their smaller sized locations (which may be a good decision on their part), unless Boyer-Regency is willing to redesign a portion of the development or they go into the second phase portion.

I guess they have had enough feedback from people. Until recently they wouldn't even consider NWI.
True, but at the same time I would say it was more so maybe the level of education than the income...I mean...they opened a store in Mishawaka...and across the country, Whole Foods has opened in locations with much lower income and education levels (COL adjusted) than here. The primary difference is that attitude that a population holds towards eating healthy. This will be a good move for them if solidified.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:21 PM

378 posts, read 153,903 times
I think a Whole Foods in this area has a real chance to succeed, especially with a smaller store. Does anyone think that the presence of other grocery stores in the area will deter them, unless they get some incentives?

Old 08-15-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
I think a Whole Foods in this area has a real chance to succeed, especially with a smaller store. Does anyone think that the presence of other grocery stores in the area will deter them, unless they get some incentives?
Definitely, the competition in groceries is higher and more fierce here in NW Indiana, then even the rest of the Chicago area. They will have to hold the line on their generally higher prices that has gotten them their nickname of "whole paycheck".

Remember a few years ago when Dominick's chose to withdraw from NW Indiana (leaving a brand new building in Hammond, and the store in Schererville that Stacks moved into quickly) completely rather then compete at the price level here.

If they think they will get the same prices that they get in the other Chicago area stores, they will be in for a rude surprise. They will have to offer better pricing here to do well. Hopefully their local manager will be allowed to adjust to our market, or they may not be here too long.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
True, but at the same time I would say it was more so maybe the level of education than the income...I mean...they opened a store in Mishawaka...and across the country, Whole Foods has opened in locations with much lower income and education levels (COL adjusted) than here. The primary difference is that attitude that a population holds towards eating healthy. This will be a good move for them if solidified.
Its always money when it comes to placing stores, "education" is a sideshow for the most part. NWI is probably a bigger gamble then Detroit is in some ways. They are the only full line grocer in that part of Detroit, so even with its generally low income (and educated) residents, they are hoping there are enough wealthier people living in downtown that don't want to have to shop in the suburbs. Compare it with NWI which has a thriving grocery business with a very aggressive local operator (Strack & Van Til-Ultra). We have the remains of Wiseway, a handful of good one store grocers, Jewel, Meijer, and Walmart all here too. Granted someone that does most of their grocery shopping at Wal-mart isn't likely to shop at a Whole Foods, they are still competing for the same general people. Combine that with the areas generally lower grocery prices, its no wonder they haven't gotten here yet.

And even if we get it, it will be one of their weaker stores. And it will be one of the fastest they will close (along with that Detroit store) when things aren't so good for them in the future. They are only interested because they are running out of places where their "preferred" customer base are.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:48 PM

25 posts, read 16,984 times
Good news! Does anyone know what the outcome of the Wed meeting was?
Whole Foods looks at opening a Schererville store

Old 08-20-2013, 03:13 PM

621 posts, read 923,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gintaras View Post
Good news! Does anyone know what the outcome of the Wed meeting was?
Whole Foods looks at opening a Schererville store

They amended the financing agreement as expected. It's not a done deal yet, but appears imminent. Here's the article written after Wednesday's meeting...

S'ville amends Shops on Main financing agreement to bring in Whole Foods : Schererville News

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana