Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Crown Point Community School district be redrawn to include the entire city?
Yes 21 72.41%
No 8 27.59%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 04:54 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
As a former resident of Merrillville (with children who attended school there),
and a graduate of CPHS, I disagree.
Weren't most of those homes built in the 70s or so? From others that I know who have lived in Merrillville and CP, they have stated that back then, the differences between the schools were not as drastic as they are now (with the exception of CP having a more small town country-ish feeling). But you lived there so I'll ask you directly. What is your opinion? Why do you disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 06:16 AM

Exclamation Real Estate Development

Crown Point's residential real estate is back to booming. A mix of starter homes, townhomes, mid-level homes, and executive style McMansions, this area is one of the few areas in NWI that has NEW offerings for people at almost every income level. In addition, there are many older homes that provide options for literally anyone at any income level, which is great for the city. And another great amenity is great schools at all levels.

However, the growth in retail and commercial development does not appear to be up to the level that one would think for such a growing city.

I know that retail development has not been as strong in NWI as residential, but it appears that Crown Point has advertised their area much more than others and has seen the least benefit. Some retailers were ready to come to CP (Wal-Mart, Dollar Tree, Aldi's) but faced high resistance (Dollar Tree and Aldi made it...No Wal-Mart) and others that some would have thought would come to Crown Point have not shown interest in the area at at.

Battling Wal-Mart in Crown Point

Most CP residents still have to travel to the southlake area for many shopping needs that should be able to be fulfilled in-town.

The answer for CP seems to be to continue promoting the city by going to Las Vegas for the sixth time in six years...each year with no promising ventures and each year costing residents $10,000!

C.P. officials attending Vegas convention to promote city

The retail along Broadway will probably be the strongest in the city in years to come as the city at the very least has strong architectural guidelines (the aldi's and dollar tree are in 100% red brick buildings...if they can't get the best retailer to come, they will darn sure have the one's that come look like top dollar stores!

Also, in August 2011 (yes, 2011) there was news that the city was to be featured in "Today in America" but this has yet to happen. Many people believe that gradually, retail and offerings in Merrillville will shift to Crown Point. In some ways I think this could happen and in other ways I don't think it would happen to the extent that others do.

C.P. to ready for its close-up as 'hidden gem'

Munster, Highland, and the Tri-Town areas have been continuing to attract new and DIFFERENT offerings to those areas instead of the same old repeat stores every few miles. I hope Crown Point continues to develop into a great city but I just wonder if people are feeling the same uncertainty that I am?

Crown Point is a great area, but sometimes, I feel that the city is holding out too long for retail that will never consider CP and it may drive other retailers away.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:03 PM

811 posts, read 2,337,844 times
I don't think Crown Point's leaders should continue to spend taxpayer money in an effort to bring major retail to their town. With a major retail hub in Merrillville just a few miles away, the likelihood of stores coming to Crown Point, some of whom may be the same as those in Merrillville, would be pretty small. I feel like the reason Shops on Main has again gotten the green light and has some interest from retailers is because of the surrounding areas, demographics, and shopping patterns. That will draw people from Munster, Highland, Griffith, Dyer, St. John, and Schererville primarily. New retail in Crown Point would probably not have as many people shopping there from Munster, Dyer, or Highland due to the distance from those towns. Who would make up that portion of the revenues? People from Hebron, Cedar Lake, and Demotte? Probably not.

Also, although I do agree that Crown Point is a great town, I have some family that lives there who are not too fond of the town's spending habits. They have spent a lot of money trying to make their town more attractive, but last I heard they were significantly in the red as a town. If those deficits aren't made up through sales taxes from proposed retail, then the town will have to pay more in interest to borrow. More taxpayer money that is.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:04 PM

Default Interesting, but not suprising

AmeriPlex proposal hits snag with multifamily housing segment

I hope the city doesn't lose out on an AmeriPlex opportunity all together due to this. However, I can understand some of the concern that area residents have.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:40 AM

Default The shoppes at eastpoint: Doa

The Shoppes at Eastpoint: Crown Point, IN

This was the development (on the southeast quadrant of I-65 and US 231) that Lauth Property Group proposed back in 2005 that would have included Walmart (most likely Super Walmart) as an anchor. I remember Crown Point being extremely against this because they wanted "better than a Walmart".

The land is now owned by Franciscan Alliance and to the south of it, there is Franciscan Point surgical center. I think it is safe to say that this project is dead.

Will Crown Point ever attract solid retail development to their I-65/109th & I-65/231 interchanges? I know it is challenging because there is retail not far away in Merrillville and the area around the interchanges does not have the demographics to support high-end retail. However, I still feel like something decent could go there. I know that while residents in CP/Winfield have some options, many would rather support retailers in town that have to go to Merrillville, Hobart, or Schererville for everything. Mom and Pop stores do not carry everything as well.

In an article dated 2005-2006, I remember a Crown Point official being quoted as saying that they are holding out for something good. However, I feel like they may be holding out for something that will never come. And I feel like Crown Point is driving away some good developments too (see my previous post above).

Old 06-10-2014, 09:15 PM

Exclamation Proposed Commercial Development

Well, this is potentially huge. Just hope the city doesn't screw up by wanting to hold out for retailers that probably would never consider the area: Hawk plans $100M retail center in C.P. but needs road extension

Old 06-11-2014, 10:51 AM
dhk

5 posts, read 8,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Well, this is potentially huge. Just hope the city doesn't screw up by wanting to hold out for retailers that probably would never consider the area: Hawk plans $100M retail center in C.P. but needs road extension
Yea, I'm interested to see if this actually happens or not and what stores go in there. That area already gets congested so I am hoping they put in lights and widen 109th there to keep if from getting worse. On another note i read the Oberweis that was located in that stracks complex, didnt have their contract renewed because the building owner wanted to rent out the entire building to a grill/pub burger place and now there is some issue about not enough parking for that type of place. So I am glad to see the greedy owner get what they deserve, force out one business for another and now he has nothing there.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:18 PM

255 posts, read 414,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
I would hope that first, Delaware Parkway gets extended 101st. If so, then this project becomes a reality. I, as a Valparaiso resident, actually see Crown Point as the city in NWI with the most development potential. Great schools, nice downtown, new sportsplex, interstate access. Hopefully the leaders and residents of CP don't shoot this project down like they have at the I-65 US 231 interchange in the past. I would love to see a Sonic Drive-In at this retail center. No Sonics in the 219. Closest ones are either in Calumet City or South Bend/Mishawaka. Crown Point is poised to be "the city of the 21st Century" in NWI. I hope this project goes through. Crown Point is booming, I'd like to see that continue.

Last edited by valpofan11; 06-11-2014 at 01:41 PM..

Old 07-22-2014, 01:55 AM

Exclamation Update

It is not getting extended all the way to 101st as of now, but all the development needed was for the road to be extended to 107th, which looks to be happening very soon! The lifestyle center plans were going to be discussed at the meeting, but I guess, the developers had a couple more issues to take care of (moving a pipeline) first. I can't wait to see the renderings and proposed tenants.

C.P. moving ahead with Delaware Parkway extension

I will say that apparently, some residents are not wanting this development even if work is done to 109th to accommodate...the general reason? They don't want the area "changing" like Merrillville...

Crown Point Community.com | Facebook Page

Old 07-28-2014, 02:37 AM

Default Porter Street Station

This sounds like a nice and modern development and a good use of revitalizing a blighted site:

C.P. commission endorses Porter Street Station
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana