Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Crown Point Community School district be redrawn to include the entire city?
Yes 21 72.41%
No 8 27.59%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 03:34 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times

Advertisements

Well, it appears national builder, Ryland Homes, is entering the NWI market.

New owner ready to correct Edgewater subdivision problems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 03:02 PM

815 posts, read 2,998,701 times
[quote=Northwest Indiana;37571779]Well, it appears national builder, Ryland Homes, is entering the NWI market.

New owner ready to correct Edgewater subdivision problems[/QUOTE

Yup, that is, if they can get the concessions they want. They won't touch it if it they can't get at least some of them. They seem confident they can finish what has been a very troubled development.

It will be interesting to see if they attempt to start a few subdivisions from scratch in the next couple of years. D.R. Horton has built quite a few homes in a few subdivisions in the area over the last couple of years now, them seem like they are doing ok against Olthof. Olthof has since expanded into Porter county to grow itself as well.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:43 PM

[quote=richb;37578975]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Well, it appears national builder, Ryland Homes, is entering the NWI market.

New owner ready to correct Edgewater subdivision problems[/QUOTE

Yup, that is, if they can get the concessions they want. They won't touch it if it they can't get at least some of them. They seem confident they can finish what has been a very troubled development.

It will be interesting to see if they attempt to start a few subdivisions from scratch in the next couple of years. D.R. Horton has built quite a few homes in a few subdivisions in the area over the last couple of years now, them seem like they are doing ok against Olthof. Olthof has since expanded into Porter county to grow itself as well.
I think they will get their concessions. Crown Point is attracting a lot of young, middle-income families who desire new homes at reasonably affordable prices as well as with good amenities. These neighborhoods that national builders develop are the neighborhoods they want. When the new DR neighborhood proposed on the southwest corner of 109th & Iowa was going through the approval process, one of the planning board members opposed it because they wanted it to be R1 zoning instead of R2. Another member stated "You cannot make every developer have a half-million house on a quarter-acre lot. Everything cannot be R1." which is accurate, especially in that area.

Olthof has introduced their new signature series which is nice, but one of their ranch plans is so overpriced that I don't know how it will fare. Olthof has also been building single-family homes in more subdivisions that they have not developed initially, mostly in the St. John/Schererville area (such as North Point, Gates, and Whispering Ridge).

I have seen many Ryland neighborhoods in Indianapolis. They appeared to be okay, but I do not exactly know what their reputation is like.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:51 AM

815 posts, read 2,998,701 times
[quote=Northwest Indiana;37580690]
Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post

I think they will get their concessions. Crown Point is attracting a lot of young, middle-income families who desire new homes at reasonably affordable prices as well as with good amenities. These neighborhoods that national builders develop are the neighborhoods they want. When the new DR neighborhood proposed on the southwest corner of 109th & Iowa was going through the approval process, one of the planning board members opposed it because they wanted it to be R1 zoning instead of R2. Another member stated "You cannot make every developer have a half-million house on a quarter-acre lot. Everything cannot be R1." which is accurate, especially in that area.

Olthof has introduced their new signature series which is nice, but one of their ranch plans is so overpriced that I don't know how it will fare. Olthof has also been building single-family homes in more subdivisions that they have not developed initially, mostly in the St. John/Schererville area (such as North Point, Gates, and Whispering Ridge).

I have seen many Ryland neighborhoods in Indianapolis. They appeared to be okay, but I do not exactly know what their reputation is like.
There are about 20 places Ryland are building in the Chicago area, the closest to here Bolingbrook and Shorewood. My brother and his wife looked at building with them ten years ago but ended up with a different builder. Their houses are similar to what Horton and Olthof build.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:55 PM

Exclamation Two Updates

First this...

Valpo firm proposes to build hotel in Crown Point

Followed by this...

Crown Point await another hotel proposal in April

Looks like this will be an exciting year for CP!

Old 03-20-2015, 08:58 AM

51 posts, read 69,527 times
I hope it doesn't happen. There are plenty of hotels about a 10 minute drive away, and the 109th/Broadway area is busy enough as it is. I suppose I wouldn't mind a small, locally-owned, locally-run, non-chain inn or B&B near the downtown area, but we really don't need anymore suburban sprawl. Let's leave all of that to Merrillville instead.

And the guy quoted in the article clearly hasn't done his research saying "Crown Point has never had a hotel." Years ago, Crown Point did have a hotel, called the Commercial Hotel, where Antiques on Main is located now. Here is a photo of it from 1910: https://www.flickr.com/photos/hoosie...ns/6162484001/.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:30 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgetJones View Post
I hope it doesn't happen. There are plenty of hotels about a 10 minute drive away, and the 109th/Broadway area is busy enough as it is. I suppose I wouldn't mind a small, locally-owned, locally-run, non-chain inn or B&B near the downtown area, but we really don't need anymore suburban sprawl. Let's leave all of that to Merrillville instead.

And the guy quoted in the article clearly hasn't done his research saying "Crown Point has never had a hotel." Years ago, Crown Point did have a hotel, called the Commercial Hotel, where Antiques on Main is located now. Here is a photo of it from 1910: https://www.flickr.com/photos/hoosie...ns/6162484001/.
Very cool pics!

Old 03-22-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:

CP is already past the point of suburban sprawl on the residential side. Now services are needed to service the residents as well as the visitors for the area. The mayor is absolutely right in his sentiments. Why send people to stay somewhere else and spend their money somewhere else after visiting Crown Point during the day?

Old 03-22-2015, 11:34 AM

141 posts, read 217,605 times
I am excited about the development at 109th and 65, as long as they widen 109th BEFORE it happens. Too frequently in the region, they allow things to be built before upgrading the roads to handle the increased traffic. Just look at Broadway from 93rd to 113th! That should be at least 4 lanes with a center turn lane. They just put a band aid on it improving the intersections several years ago. I was also confused on why, when they added the 109th interchange, did they only make the underpass enough for 2 lanes..they should have thought ahead on that one.

That said, I think it's great that a hotel is planned, and I agree with the mayor to keep the dollars in Crown Point, instead of just saying they can go to Merrillville for a room. I don't agree that all hotels bring in more crime, it all depends on how upscale they are, and the demographics of the area. Obviously a $40 hotel room in Merrillville are going to attract a seedy bunch, when a $150 room in CP is going to cater to a different clientel

Old 03-23-2015, 08:10 AM

277 posts, read 442,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko12 View Post
I am excited about the development at 109th and 65, as long as they widen 109th BEFORE it happens. Too frequently in the region, they allow things to be built before upgrading the roads to handle the increased traffic.
I whole heartedly agree. I know the funds are "in progress" of getting approved on the federal level to get to be used on the widening between Broadway and 65. So there's at least the plan in place. But I don't see a developer holding off "until they start" widening it. If all goes well, the funds will come shortly and they'll simply have a concurrent project on their hands. This one will all be at the hands of our trusty speedy government I think. There's no way they don't approve the funds in my opinion. It's a slam dunk spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
CP is already past the point of suburban sprawl on the residential side. Now services are needed to service the residents as well as the visitors for the area. The mayor is absolutely right in his sentiments. Why send people to stay somewhere else and spend their money somewhere else after visiting Crown Point during the day?
I totally agree with your sentiment of it becoming a 'go-to place' in the region. Stay in Crown Point if you're going to visit Crown point. However, having 3 major big box hotels go up in the same spot really kills the feel of the region if you ask me. Having 1 go in makes total sense to me, but if it was planned properly, you'd get what Bridget Jones is describing below. Bring back the cute Bed & Breakfasts first before you throw the 350 bed monsters. It completely changes the feel of the area.

I do see this area at 109th & Broadway being more of the typical commercial than quaint small town businesses like the Square holds though, so maybe there's that hard partition where you limit the big box areas east of Broadway and it'll still feel fine.

Quote:
I really don't understand how Crown Point hasn't been able to attract a retiring couple to run a successful mom and pop bed and breakfast. It would seem like a slam dunk to me. I suppose you need the right people and the right spot to do so. I'm no developer, so I have no idea of what's even available to renovate over off the square, but I would think someone smarter than I would have tried it by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana