Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 04:14 PM

8 posts, read 27,446 times

Advertisements

I received a position at the Suncoke plant in East Chicago and will be looking for a place to move me and my wife and two infant and toddler boys. I don't particularly want to live around east Chicago as I don't hear too many good things about the area. So I am hoping someone on here could suggest a good family oriented suburb or community that we could move to. Our credit is not very good but before taxes I will be pulling $80k give or take. I don't mind a long commute if it means a safe place for my family to live at. I say suburbs but really any place that is good to raise a family in.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 04:30 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,332,649 times
Any of the usual recommendations will work for you: Highland, Munster, Schererville, Dyer, etc. Are you looking to rent?

Old 12-27-2012, 05:57 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,487,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfty.dude View Post
I received a position at the Suncoke plant in East Chicago and will be looking for a place to move me and my wife and two infant and toddler boys. I don't particularly want to live around east Chicago as I don't hear too many good things about the area. So I am hoping someone on here could suggest a good family oriented suburb or community that we could move to. Our credit is not very good but before taxes I will be pulling $80k give or take. I don't mind a long commute if it means a safe place for my family to live at. I say suburbs but really any place that is good to raise a family in.

Thanks in advance
Your income will allow you to live in any town in northwest indiana with no problem. The closest nice areas to where you work would be Munster and Highland. Dyer and Schererville would be the next closest followed by Saint John.

Saint John would put you in the furthest of the closest nice area at about a 25-30 minute commute into EC with little to no traffic. Since the majority of that trip will be on Indy Blvd (with stoplights and traffic) it could take longer during rush hour. However, it still would beat driving into the city.

I do not know how your credit will affect a mortgage. The larger downpayment you are able to put down, the easier it may be to qualify, but I am not an expert in that area. If you are willing to rent for a bit, then I would also consider south Hammond. The south part of Hammond (south of 169th even better south of 173rd) is regarded as a generally safe area. It would put you very close to work and will allow you to save money until you are ready to buy. Also, since it appears that schools are not an issue right now, you would be fine. In the event that south Hammond did appeal to you, I would like in the Woodmar area (around Purdue Calumet), Hessville, or in the Forest-Ivanhoe area on the extreme southwest side of town (very nice luxurious homes in a safe area for low prices). Your children would be okay in the public schools for elementary but then after that, I would go private (in my opinion).

If you settle in any of the other towns I listed, then schools would not be an issue at all.

Crown Point would be the farthest of other nice places and put you anywhere from a 25-40 minute commute depending on from where in that area you were commuting from. You would get much more house for your money in the CP area than in Munster or Saint John, and probably a little more house for your money than in Dyer, Highland, or Schererville.

If you want to stay REALLY close to your job, then Whiting would be a good place too. It is a small community that is going through a lot of redevelopment right now and new housing has been going up. For the area, some of the housing appears a little pricey for what you get but there are many long-time residents and activities there and a lot of pride.

Let us know what you think!

Old 12-28-2012, 07:34 AM

Thanks a lot for all of the input! I have to be there on the second and my family won't be coming up for about a month so it gives me some time to look around your suggested areas.

A lot of information and a big help, thank you guys!

Old 12-28-2012, 04:21 PM

17,355 posts, read 14,606,875 times
I would also say look at Chesterton - because of the proximity to the expressway, you'd be looking at a 30 min or so commute.

Chesterton's a great family are, good schools & overall a very safe community.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:23 PM

36 posts, read 64,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I would also say look at Chesterton - because of the proximity to the expressway, you'd be looking at a 30 min or so commute.

Chesterton's a great family are, good schools & overall a very safe community.
I've always have been a little concerned with the pollution in that area since the factories are due west of there. Beautiful area though. Nice rolling hills with much remaining farm land, etc.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 6,564 times
Have you made the move yet? I was just offered a promotion to a facility about 20 minutes from suncoke(I google mapped it). They gave me a soft offer of about 50k per year, which is a huge increase from the 38k I have now. I am single, looking for a one bedroom apartment that would allow a 55 lb dog, no way I would consider leaving him behind. After just looking for about 2 hours at apartments in the areas that have been suggested, I have not been blown away by anything yet. I looked into some mansard apartments in Griffith, IN as well that looked decent at first, until the second google page brought about all the stories from that place that made the news for shootings and fires, lol. I am really having a hard time with this decision and have asked for a week to consider. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 01-08-2013, 07:03 PM

I found a condo in Hobart IN....But there is a great apartment complex in Merrillville that a couple people I work with live at. I believe it's summer wood apartments off of polo club dr, it runs off Lincoln hwy. very nice and dry safe from what I have been told. Check them out sometime, you could google it, should be able to pull something up

Old 01-11-2013, 06:48 PM

21 posts, read 41,986 times
Default Summerwood

Summerwood is nice. My mother and grandmother both lived there for a while. The office people aren't super nice but the location is decent.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,032 times
My son received a job offer in East Chicago, IN (Tradebe) and I was wondering where he should live for a safe community. He needs to rent around $700 a month preferably a studio apartment. Any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana