Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 03:52 PM

106 posts, read 269,186 times

Advertisements

Hello all, My son is going to be moving to the NW Indiana area soon. He works for the CN railroad and works in Gary, I don't think Gary sounds like a great area to live. How are property taxes in Lake county vs Porter county? schools? Hobart, Portage area pros and cons? how about Valpo, although might be too much of a drive? any info of your experience would be helpful to find a new place to live. Thanks, Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 09:28 AM

106 posts, read 269,186 times
you guys got nothing? no advice at all?

Old 03-26-2013, 10:18 AM

811 posts, read 2,328,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by higelj2 View Post
Hello all, My son is going to be moving to the NW Indiana area soon. He works for the CN railroad and works in Gary, I don't think Gary sounds like a great area to live. How are property taxes in Lake county vs Porter county? schools? Hobart, Portage area pros and cons? how about Valpo, although might be too much of a drive? any info of your experience would be helpful to find a new place to live. Thanks, Jeff
Answering your questions in order:
-Don't live in Gary.
-Porter County taxes typically lower than Lake County due to less spending. Some in Lake County feel the services are better and the additional taxes are worth it, while some disagree. Taxes aren't particularly high in either county in my opinion.
-There are good schools and bad schools in both counties. The schools most widely recognized as the best in Lake County are Munster, Lake Central, and Crown Point. The best in Porter County are Valparaiso, Chesterton/Duneland, Union Township/Wheeler, East Porter.
-Hobart and Portage are comparable towns in terms of desirability in my opinion. Not great, certainly not horrible. Solid schools but not among the best. Both towns are generally blue collar, working class places to live. Crime in both towns is around the national average.
-The drive from Valpo to Gary, based on your starting point in Valpo, is about 35-40 mins. Certainly not a terribly long commute and I know of quite a few people who make that commute. FYI, Valpo is a really nice town but doesn't exactly have the small town feel anymore.

Last edited by svillechris; 03-26-2013 at 10:31 AM..

Old 08-11-2013, 10:45 AM

9 posts, read 24,183 times
You could try Wanatah its part LaPorte County. there is also North Judson, Hanna, Union Mills, Valpo is good as well!! Otis is between Michigan city and Westville which is also is a small town but in my opinion kids that grow up in westville schools are little sluts!!! So I myself wouldn't move there! I just named a bunch of small towns with okay decent schools and North Judson is the farthest away but in my opinion the school is A GREAT SCHOOL!!!! If he can afford the drive i would for sure raise children there!!!! Its the small town Friday Night football games type town!!!! I hope this will some how help!

Old 08-11-2013, 05:34 PM

17,763 posts, read 39,633,499 times
Look at Kouts too ... it's just south of Valpo on 49. Not as far away as North Judson.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:50 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,354,666 times
Munster, St.John, Schererville are all great towns with good schools and closer to Chicago. I would consider these first. Crown Point is further out but nice. Avoid at all costs Gary and then Whiting, East Chicago, most of Hammond except it southernmost parts and parts of Merrillville.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:54 PM

2,155 posts, read 5,464,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Munster, St.John, Schererville are all great towns with good schools and closer to Chicago. I would consider these first. Crown Point is further out but nice. Avoid at all costs Gary and then Whiting, East Chicago, most of Hammond except it southernmost parts and parts of Merrillville.
Good suggestions, but...avoid Whiting??? And if we are talking about schools, then all of Ross Township (Merrillville and north Crown Point) would be out of the question as well.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:13 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,354,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Good suggestions, but...avoid Whiting??? And if we are talking about schools, then all of Ross Township (Merrillville and north Crown Point) would be out of the question as well.
ever smelled the air around Whiting? This is POLLUTION CENTRAL and surrounded by refineries.

.... and what you can't smell you re surely breathing it!

Last edited by WildWestDude; 08-15-2013 at 07:32 PM..

Old 08-15-2013, 08:31 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,720,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
ever smelled the air around Whiting? This is POLLUTION CENTRAL and surrounded by refineries.

.... and what you can't smell you re surely breathing it!
Smells like $$$$

Old 08-16-2013, 06:12 PM

17,763 posts, read 39,633,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Smells like $$$$
no kidding! You can also smell soap and corn products too ...

cha-ching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana