U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2015, 04:38 PM

28,460 posts, read 81,445,247 times

Advertisements

How's this for a view of the skyline from the beach --
That'd be from 31st.

See, my Hoosier friends, becuase of the HUGE length of Chicago's lakefront and how it CURVES, even if you're at Montrose you are gonna be looking toward nice skyline features like the historic Edgewater Beach Hotel --

If you are out at the Adler Planeterium you can look back toward the skyline and see this --

Funny thing too is Chicago has GIANT swathes of parkland even at the "downtown beaches" and NO scary mounds of fly ash or whatever the poisons from Gary are --

Where I'm from we'd call that compilation an OLD SCHOOL SMACK DOWN! What say you Eddie?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 07:51 PM

4,802 posts, read 5,453,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
How's this for a view of the skyline from the beach --
That'd be from 31st.

See, my Hoosier friends, becuase of the HUGE length of Chicago's lakefront and how it CURVES, even if you're at Montrose you are gonna be looking toward nice skyline features like the historic Edgewater Beach Hotel --

If you are out at the Adler Planeterium you can look back toward the skyline and see this --

Funny thing too is Chicago has GIANT swathes of parkland even at the "downtown beaches" and NO scary mounds of fly ash or whatever the poisons from Gary are --

Where I'm from we'd call that compilation an OLD SCHOOL SMACK DOWN! What say you Eddie?
Hardly a smackdown. You showed us ONE beach facing downtown. Adler is not a beach and everything else you showed had pointed toward apartment complexes that are nothing special on any scale. Uptown's skyline is hardly impressive. Also, your last pic was of Oak St beach that I admitted (along with North Ave) was a decent beach in a good area. Sure, Lincoln Park is huge and much bigger than Marquette (bigger than Central Park in NY for that matter), but we're talking about whether Gary has nice beaches. I said they do and that the views in Gary are nice, not whether Chicago has more parkland along its beachfront. Being that Chicago is over 200 square miles, and the beachfront goes from Juneway Terrace to 100th St, this is kind of a silly comparison.

Also, what is with this "Hoosier" bashing? NWI people align themselves with CHICAGO and not with Indiana. They don't even look or sound like Indiana people. Chicago's metro area stretches all the way to LaPorte County, IN.

Since you're so intent on claiming these horrible aspects of Gary's lakefront, I take it you have photographic evidence of this? Cuz you know everytime I go to Miller Beach I cough up a lung from all the toxic air that suffocates me while I'm there.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:17 PM

4,251 posts, read 3,888,949 times
Gary's not in Illinois.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:52 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,604,079 times
Default My take on Gary

Gary is the armpit of Chicago just as East St. Louis is the armpit of St. Louis. Both have been this way for the past 50 years. I am sure Miller Beach is pleasant enough to visit if you do not stray too far from the shore but not many of us want to live in an area near such a decimated city such as Gary.

My mother was a social worker and a teacher in Gary in the late 1960s. It was bad back then and has only gotten worse since. I wouldn't be surprised if Gary falls to 50k people in the next few decades as populace continues to flee for greener pastures.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:36 AM

2,140 posts, read 5,157,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Gary's not in Illinois.
Who said it was???

Old 08-22-2015, 06:23 AM

4,251 posts, read 3,888,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Who said it was???
Title of the thread is something positive about gary. I said it's not in Illinois. That's something positive about gary.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:22 AM

2,140 posts, read 5,157,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Title of the thread is something positive about gary. I said it's not in Illinois. That's something positive about gary.
Oh, ok!

Old 08-23-2015, 12:26 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,604,079 times
Default Not being in Illinois is huge for Gary

I still think Gary sucks for a bunch of reasons but not being in Illinois is a huge positive. I actually know a number of people who are now looking at Munster instead of western Chicago suburbs because of Illinois property taxes. If they could clean up the waterfront and basically bulldoze downtown for new development Gary would be well-positioned for improvement.

Of course this would involve displacing most of the remaining residents. I don't see is happening anytime soon as the local politicians are dependent on the votes of those currently residing there, similar to what we used to see in Chicago's Uptown neighborhood where local politician Schiller kept subsidized housing in place for votes.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:49 AM

2,244 posts, read 2,989,111 times
I recently heard that funding has been allocated, probably starting next years....for a shuttle bus service from Miller Station to Lake Street Beach, Miller Square, and the National Park at West Beach. Bringing Chicagoland's greatest beach and ONLY NATIONAL PARK within a carless 1.5 hours from the Bean, Grant Park, McCormick Place, Hyde Park etc...the North Shore is a walled fortress of wealth and crappy beaches compared to the towering Dunes and mega-beaches of Gary and Porter County.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:03 AM

2,244 posts, read 2,989,111 times
so cute how Chet gets his painties in a twist over the fact that THE ONLY PLACE you can be on land enjoying the entire Chicago skyline from South Shore to Evanston is in The Region. The Region is way more "Chicago" than the majority of the North Side...for what it is worth. No Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Ohio State, etc etc etc...bars in Hammond, East Chicagoand Gary....just Bears, Bulls, Cubs, Sox, Blackhawks bars in the region...fancy that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana