Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 06:33 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,711,730 times

Advertisements

what part of town will he be working?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 07:49 PM

4 posts, read 7,800 times
us steel

Old 10-17-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy_squirrel View Post
us steel
I would recommend Crown Point first. It's a safe town with great schools.
The area around 93 rd Avenue has Crown Point addresses, but the kids go to Merrillville schools. I would avoid Merrillville schools completely.

Schererville & St John are good choices too. Any further out (such as Lowell) would be too far to drive, especially in the Winter.

You could also check out Chesterton, in Porter County. I would not recommend Portage. Valpo would be a long drive in the Winter for him to commute to US Steel, but it's a very nice town as well.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:43 PM

2,155 posts, read 5,453,606 times
I would add Munster too. Yes, it is more expensive and you get less house for your money than in Crown Point or St. John, but you have top schools and are close to the expressway and not far from US Steel. Also a very safe community that is constantly redeveloping areas as well as its a mature suburb.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:20 AM

True, but with 3 children they're going to need room.

Not knowing what their budget is, I wasn't sure Munster was on the radar.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,451 times
I suggest the Chesterton area, mainly Liberty & Jackson Township areas. We have never had a complaint about Duneland schools. Property taxes are much lower than in Lake County, and it is a very nice, safe area. He would just jump on the tollway & get off right at US Steel. Hubby has been doing it for many years and has never complained about the drive. Good luck!

Old 10-19-2014, 02:40 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,368,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by navy_squirrel View Post
My hubby has the opportunity to transfer up to gary so I can be closer to my family. Everything I been reading about gary has been bad. So I want to know if there are any good area. I would like to live close to his work
I would not advise moving to Gary. I'd suggest south Hammond, Dyer, or anywhere further southwest of Gary. There are far better options that Gary. NW Indiana is very large and I'm sure that you can relocate closer to your family while not living in Gary, because that city is one of the most economically depressed and deadly ghettos in the entire nation.

Others are suggesting the Miller Beach portion, but I wouldn't even recommend that. It's more of a vacation spot, and even there it appears there's some crime issues. I like the dunes, but for vacation. If I had to live in NWI, it would probably be around Schererville.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:13 PM

36 posts, read 65,291 times
I work at US Steel. I'm from Munster, but lived in Crown Point for a while. I would recommend CP. The schools are very good, the area is very safe, and it is more affordable than Munster. Easy commute to USS.

I will say this, most USS employees I talk to live to the east (Hobart, Portage, even Chesterton). But I have no experience with these communities so I can't give you much help.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:10 PM

1,662 posts, read 1,467,985 times
I always preferred my daily commute to be on expressways. The area is well served by I80, I65 and the Indiana toll road. Pick something with good highway access. A daily commute to St John or Schererville would be a nightmare to me.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:07 PM

39 posts, read 65,577 times
Default Vacation

I don't know if anyone is reading this any more but if they do, I am curious.

We have reservations to stay on Pine Street (close to Lake Shore) in Miller Beach this summer. Have stayed in Michigan City before but the home rentals for vacation are very high - especially if you are renting for a large family.

Several months ago I called the police in the area and they said it is a safe area. Anyone in the area give me your opinion? Granted we live in a large city and there are bad areas also. Also we have had some burglaries in our subdivision over the years and we are still considered a good area.

Any feedback?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana