Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2015, 11:23 AM

255 posts, read 415,030 times

Advertisements

Some interesting stats from the IDOE website on 2014-15 school enrollments, here's what I found for the Ridge Road communities' districts, starting from Portage all the way to Munster (excluding Gary).

Portage Township Schools: 7,853 students (62.2% white, 21.9% Hispanic, 10.3% black)
School City of Hobart: 4,047 students (66.5% white, 22.7% Hispanic, 6.6% black)
River Forest Community Schools: 1,642 students (46.5% white, 42.2% Hispanic, 5.2% multiracial)
Lake Ridge Schools: 1,966 students (43.3% white, 25.7% Hispanic, 24.9% black)
Griffith Public Schools: 2,417 students (51.2% white, 23.2% Hispanic, 20.9% black)
School Town of Highland: 3,179 students (62.6% white, 27.8% Hispanic, 4.9% black)
School Town of Munster: 4,025 students (61.1% white, 21.1% Hispanic, 6.9% Asian, 6.8% black)

Interesting how all have Hispanic enrollments of 20% or higher. Shows the migration throughout the Region from north to the south and east. The inner ring suburbs have really diversified in the younger aged population. What do you guys think on the stats, or do they just speak for themselves?

Link and then search district name to find stats.
http://compass.doe.in.gov/dashboard/overview.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 12:12 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times
As far as Munster, I'm happy to see that increased diversity (and not just by race and ethnicity as shown here, but with religion such as NWI largest Jewish population) has not meant decreased property values, declining school district performance, or loss of prestige overall for the town.

However, stats on paper are one thing. In some of these towns, the population is still very segregated. The school demographics may vary greatly within the same school district. For example, in Griffith, the VAST majority of the Black population lives in the Mansards apartments which is zoned to Ready Elementary school. Ready has an almost 50% black school population...however the other two elementary schools in the district have approximately a 5% and 10% black population...very very very segregated for such a small town. In my opinion, diversity does not really mean anything if there is little integration (see: Chicago). I do not feel that integration should be forced as I think it should occur naturally, but while some of these places appear diverse on paper, some people may still feel some level on tokenism in these areas.

What I also find fascinating is the disparity in paid vs free/reduced lunches. School Town of Munster blows away the other ridge districts in having the highest percentage of paid lunches. But also, it has a higher percentage than other districts such as Lake Central, Crown Point, and Valpo (as well as Union Township). I think this also shows (when you look at other data as well) that in Munster, while the school demographics may look similar to other ridge districts, on an income level, Munster has probably the highest earning minority residents in the region. This all is interesting though! But it depends on how one wants to use the data.

Some people may fear that less white = bad (which obviously does not tell the whole story of an area)...but demographics changes in some of these districts have not been as fast or drastic as one would have thought.

Now take Merrillville as an example of a school district that had major racial, ethnic, and income demographic shifts seemingly overnight. Merrillville used to be more lily white, middle income, and higher performing than some of the Ridge districts...but Merrillville has had by far the most drastic changes. I would be interested to see future changes in Crown Point as a more diverse population moves south of 101st.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
As far as Munster, I'm happy to see that increased diversity (and not just by race and ethnicity as shown here, but with religion such as NWI largest Jewish population) has not meant decreased property values, declining school district performance, or loss of prestige overall for the town.

However, stats on paper are one thing. In some of these towns, the population is still very segregated. The school demographics may vary greatly within the same school district. For example, in Griffith, the VAST majority of the Black population lives in the Mansards apartments which is zoned to Ready Elementary school. Ready has an almost 50% black school population...however the other two elementary schools in the district have approximately a 5% and 10% black population...very very very segregated for such a small town. In my opinion, diversity does not really mean anything if there is little integration (see: Chicago). I do not feel that integration should be forced as I think it should occur naturally, but while some of these places appear diverse on paper, some people may still feel some level on tokenism in these areas.

What I also find fascinating is the disparity in paid vs free/reduced lunches. School Town of Munster blows away the other ridge districts in having the highest percentage of paid lunches. But also, it has a higher percentage than other districts such as Lake Central, Crown Point, and Valpo (as well as Union Township). I think this also shows (when you look at other data as well) that in Munster, while the school demographics may look similar to other ridge districts, on an income level, Munster has probably the highest earning minority residents in the region. This all is interesting though! But it depends on how one wants to use the data.

Some people may fear that less white = bad (which obviously does not tell the whole story of an area)...but demographics changes in some of these districts have not been as fast or drastic as one would have thought.

Now take Merrillville as an example of a school district that had major racial, ethnic, and income demographic shifts seemingly overnight. Merrillville used to be more lily white, middle income, and higher performing than some of the Ridge districts...but Merrillville has had by far the most drastic changes. I would be interested to see future changes in Crown Point as a more diverse population moves south of 101st.
Portage seems to be the next district to undergo rapid demographic shifts. I've noticed a good amount of whites from Portage move to Valparaiso & to a lesser extent, Chesterton. Rapid shift in the school district, such as Portage, indicates the white students graduate or leave the district, and then there are no whites that move in to take their place.

One place that has not shifted as fast as I thought it would is Hobart. Arguably closer to Gary than most parts of Merrillville, but Hobart has not seen as many blacks move in, at least in School City of Hobart. I've heard from people that Hobart is perceived as racist, but I don't know.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valpofan11 View Post
Portage seems to be the next district to undergo rapid demographic shifts. I've noticed a good amount of whites from Portage move to Valparaiso & to a lesser extent, Chesterton. Rapid shift in the school district, such as Portage, indicates the white students graduate or leave the district, and then there are no whites that move in to take their place.

One place that has not shifted as fast as I thought it would is Hobart. Arguably closer to Gary than most parts of Merrillville, but Hobart has not seen as many blacks move in, at least in School City of Hobart. I've heard from people that Hobart is perceived as racist, but I don't know.
Even though Hobart is closer, Hobart has not has nearly the amount of residential development that Merrillville has had, especially in the multi-family rental sector. Actually, a lot of the development in Hobart had been in the Ross township part zoned to Merrillville schools. As far as the racism, that can be said of most towns surrounding Gary. There are still very racist people living in Merrillville despite the demographic changes. Shoot, based on my personal experiences, the one place in NWI that I have encountered the most racism (and this is not to paint that whole place at racist, just my experience) is Hammond, specifically, in Hessville.

I do believe that Portage will see more rapid demographic shifts. I think that while the Black population will increase, the Hispanic population will be the most substantial. I see this as many Hispanic families moving from Lake Station and the River Forest area of Hobart looking for an upgrade to Portage. Money goes a bit farther there too for comparable housing.

Last edited by Northwest Indiana; 05-24-2015 at 02:55 PM..

Old 05-24-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Even though Hobart is closer, Hobart has not has nearly the amount of residential development that Merrillville has had, especially in the multi-family rental sector. Actually, a lot of the development in Hobart had been in the Ross township part zoned to Merrillville schools. As far as the racism, that can be said of most towns surrounding Gary. There are still very racist people living in Merrillville despite the demographic changes. Shoot, based on my personal experiences, the one place in NWI that I have encountered the most racism (and this is not to paint that whole place at racist, just my experience) is Hammond, specifically, in Hessville.

I do believe that Portage will see more rapid demographic shifts. I think that while the Black population will increase, the Hispanic population will be the most substantial. I see this as many Hispanic families moving from Lake Station and the River Forest area of Hobart looking for an upgrade to Portage. Money goes a bit farther there too for comparable housing.
I think Hobart will diversify more as time goes on. Portage is definitely getting more Hispanic. Interesting how racially, parts of Portage will look more like EC, parts of Merrillville look like Gary, & parts of Highland look like Hammond.

Do you think any more development in the Ross Township section of Hobart? It's still pretty rural but the infrastructure is now in place. I feel that negative perceptions of Merrillville have slowed the development. What about Portage? Still a lot of open land south of US 6, hasn't taken off since the recession.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valpofan11 View Post
I think Hobart will diversify more as time goes on. Portage is definitely getting more Hispanic. Interesting how racially, parts of Portage will look more like EC, parts of Merrillville look like Gary, & parts of Highland look like Hammond.

Do you think any more development in the Ross Township section of Hobart? It's still pretty rural but the infrastructure is now in place. I feel that negative perceptions of Merrillville have slowed the development. What about Portage? Still a lot of open land south of US 6, hasn't taken off since the recession.
I think more of the residential development in Ross Township will limited to mostly west of Broadway. Most people who are looking to move that far are looking to get out of Merrillville schools all together. Personally, I would not want to live at 93rd & Vigo St in Crown Point or in the Deep River County Park area of Hobart and still be zoned to Merrillville. If I move just over the county line, south into Winfield, or north into Hobart school limits, I not only get much better schools, but the schools will be a lot closer to me. The exception is the distance from Winfield to CPHS. However, if I had a kid at Merrillville Intermediate School and lived at 93rd and Vigo? We are talking at least 20 min commute without traffic...and this to a not so good school. I would rather travel that distance to Col. Wheeler Middle School in CP.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
I think more of the residential development in Ross Township will limited to mostly west of Broadway. Most people who are looking to move that far are looking to get out of Merrillville schools all together. Personally, I would not want to live at 93rd & Vigo St in Crown Point or in the Deep River County Park area of Hobart and still be zoned to Merrillville. If I move just over the county line, south into Winfield, or north into Hobart school limits, I not only get much better schools, but the schools will be a lot closer to me. The exception is the distance from Winfield to CPHS. However, if I had a kid at Merrillville Intermediate School and lived at 93rd and Vigo? We are talking at least 20 min commute without traffic...and this to a not so good school. I would rather travel that distance to Col. Wheeler Middle School in CP.
Kinda sad that so many want out of Ross Township, partially due to demographic changes. I like the area and think Merrillville still has a lot of potential. I think Center & Winfield Townships will diversify as time goes on. At John Township will as well, but slowly. I think there will still be an Illinois migration from the south/southwest suburbs to central/southern Lake County. That will change demographics as well.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:16 PM

224 posts, read 310,656 times
I think the black population in NWI will explode in the near future with many moving from the Southern Suburbs. Most likely in towns such as Dyer and Schererville.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Blish View Post
I think the black population in NWI will explode in the near future with many moving from the Southern Suburbs. Most likely in towns such as Dyer and Schererville.
The Black population in general is not really growing at all in this country. It is mostly migration. However, while some are migrating into NWI, I don't think it is enough to consider an "explosion" at all. The only place that has seen an "explosion" of black population has been in the southern U.S. In suburban areas of large Texas cities, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, and Mississippi.

Most of the suburban growth in Indiana with the Black population will probably be concentrated in the Crown Point/Merrillville area. History tends to repeat itself and the greatest and fastest growth of the Black population in NWI has been south along Broadway. And these are mostly upwardly mobile Blacks looking for greener pastures. The south suburbs have predominantly Black middle and upper middle class enclaves where people do not feel nearly as much of a need to "escape" as those in Gary for example.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
The Black population in general is not really growing at all in this country. It is mostly migration. However, while some are migrating into NWI, I don't think it is enough to consider an "explosion" at all. The only place that has seen an "explosion" of black population has been in the southern U.S. In suburban areas of large Texas cities, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, and Mississippi.

Most of the suburban growth in Indiana with the Black population will probably be concentrated in the Crown Point/Merrillville area. History tends to repeat itself and the greatest and fastest growth of the Black population in NWI has been south along Broadway. And these are mostly upwardly mobile Blacks looking for greener pastures. The south suburbs have predominantly Black middle and upper middle class enclaves where people do not feel nearly as much of a need to "escape" as those in Gary for example.
I think that while Crown Point's black population is and will certainly grow more, Tri-Town will also see black population growth. The construction of new facilities at LCHS will attract families of all races. And it's not like Tri-Town will become less black and more white, census trends prove that. The US continues to become less non-Hispanic white, meaning perceived desirable places like CP, Tri-Town, Valpo, Chesterton, and Munster will see future minority population growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana