Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2010, 11:13 AM

37 posts, read 67,021 times

Advertisements

[quote=Northwest Indiana;16278350][Great] Big news! Groundbreaking has officially begun! Boyer's previous project, Shops on Main in Schererville, never even got this far and is now dead. His new project, "Munster Shops" was "destined to be a failure" but is not actually happening! Very exciting for this to FINALLY happen!!! YES! Here is a link to the article:

Calumet Avenue site readied for Munster Shops

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 04:17 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,488,415 times
Default Update!

Munster is building a new Manor Avenue "mini-park" near the southeast corner of Ridge Road & Manor Avenue. They are also constructing a pergola there and what looks to be a fountain or raised brick flower bed. Drive past if you can! It is really a good use of vacant land! Pretty exciting that Munster is staying true to its comprehensive plan!

Old 12-10-2010, 09:46 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,259 times
I live in Munster near Columbia and Camellia. I feel like it's about 10 years from getting bad. I don't like living by condo row. When we moved here 33 yrs ago they were owner occupied, now they are more and more rentals. Who the heck knows who lives by me? There was a police officer who lived across the street but he broke up with his gf, so he moved out. The main issue I see is that most of the owners do not update their units so they can only get $750 or so. Then it's like well if Hammond is going to cost $650, let's find another $100 and move to Munster. Oh and let's not forget the dozen or so weekly pot busts, many at the skate park.
Crime is here, they just don't put it in the paper like they used to, you have to personally sign up for the weekly crime report on the town's website.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:11 PM

17,355 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Alright Northwest Indiana ... here's another attaboy from me.

The last experience I had with Munster Community Hospital was a little over 12-13 years ago when our daughter was hospitalized there with kidney infections & sepsis. (Though our ped was in the pizza hut buildings for a long time - Dr. Sokol, best pediatrician that ever lived.)

Anyhow, my husband had surgery there today and will be released tomorrow.

They've done some MAJOR improvements in the last 10 years.

First, I don't know if my DH will want to come home since he's in a private room (we requested and our paying the difference) with a flat screen, travertine tiled bath and granite counters in the room & bath as well. The nursing staff is fantastic. (I'm also a fan of St. Mary's staffing in Hobart as well - I think it must be their whole system ... Porter Memorial in Valpo blows. I wouldn't send my dog there.)

I have experience with MANY hospitals (unfortunately) ... Ingalls in Harvey, St. Margaret's (Hammond & Dyer), Palos, St. Mary's, Methodist (both Southlake & North) ... and Munster Community has been an extremely positive experience.

Again, more props to Munster.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I live in Munster near Columbia and Camellia. I feel like it's about 10 years from getting bad. I don't like living by condo row. When we moved here 33 yrs ago they were owner occupied, now they are more and more rentals. Who the heck knows who lives by me? There was a police officer who lived across the street but he broke up with his gf, so he moved out. The main issue I see is that most of the owners do not update their units so they can only get $750 or so. Then it's like well if Hammond is going to cost $650, let's find another $100 and move to Munster. Oh and let's not forget the dozen or so weekly pot busts, many at the skate park.
Crime is here, they just don't put it in the paper like they used to, you have to personally sign up for the weekly crime report on the town's website.
You do realize that even if the people find "$100" they will still have to find the extra money for utilities too? I am in that area all the time and I never see any gang bangers or thugs by those condos. While I think they would be more stable if they were owner occupied, you cannot simply believe that just because a person if moving to Munster instead of Hammond it is going to get bad. It is the persons CHARACTER. Also, you said weekly POT busts at the skate park. If it makes you feel any better, many of those busted are the skate kids who usually cause no trouble and most likely just smoke to get high. Not a huge deal. It is not like major drug operations are going on. If you go to ANY park in the United States, there is a good chance a drug trade will could be going on. And my friends dad who went to Munster 30 years ago said that they sold/bought drugs right outside the high-school. No guns, knives, anything. I guess what I am trying to say is that if you feel that Munster is "10 years from getting bad" then you really need to get out more. If you drive around the older parts of town you will see that many of the new buyers are tearing down old homes and duplexes and building new single-family homes. This takes money. I doubt the people doing these are going to cause problems. And people building here are most likely here for the long-haul. Even more so, if Munster were truly getting bad, people would not be throwing down $1M+ on homes in Park West and White Oak Estates area.

People said in the 1990s that Munster would FOR SURE turn into Hammond by 2000. then it was 2010...Now you are saying another 10 years before it gets bad. Munster's crime is lower than it was before, but it is just concentrated into certain parts of town. Now with Munster's new inspection rules, there will be better screening of landlords to make sure they A) rent livable properties and B) do not rent to criminals.

Regarding your "crime is here" statement. You are 100% correct. Crime is also in Saint John, Crown Point, Winfield, Valpo, EVERYWHERE. The reason much of the ones in Munster is not published is because nobody really cares if a 17 year old skaterboy buys a small bag of pot to smoke. Also, even though there have been car break-ins, most of them were people who were stupid and left their cars unlocked. I doubt readers would feel sympathy for them. Those types of stories DO get published when guns are involved, there are injuries, or it is drugs other than pot/alcohol. As a citizen, you are more than capable of calling the news and telling them to post a story of a crime event you saw in Munster's Police Blotter. However, I doubt they would take the story unless it is a serious event. There has been a good chunk of bank robberies that have happened in Munster and ALL OF THEM have been in the news. I guess you just want to see people react "Munster is bad. I am moving SOUTH to Saint John!!! C'mon kids, let's go!" just so it can confirm your beliefs. Guess what. It ain't happenin!

About the main thing I do agree with is the lack of updating that some rentals have. However if you have looked at some of the SFH home listings in Munster and other towns, you can see many that are a blast from 1972.

If it makes you feel any better, Munster is seeing a HUGE influx in the Indian and East Asian population. I have been seeing more members of those populations in Munster, many of them I presume to be educated professionals.

Last edited by Northwest Indiana; 12-11-2010 at 05:24 AM..

Old 12-11-2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Alright Northwest Indiana ... here's another attaboy from me.

The last experience I had with Munster Community Hospital was a little over 12-13 years ago when our daughter was hospitalized there with kidney infections & sepsis. (Though our ped was in the pizza hut buildings for a long time - Dr. Sokol, best pediatrician that ever lived.)

Anyhow, my husband had surgery there today and will be released tomorrow.

They've done some MAJOR improvements in the last 10 years.

First, I don't know if my DH will want to come home since he's in a private room (we requested and our paying the difference) with a flat screen, travertine tiled bath and granite counters in the room & bath as well. The nursing staff is fantastic. (I'm also a fan of St. Mary's staffing in Hobart as well - I think it must be their whole system ... Porter Memorial in Valpo blows. I wouldn't send my dog there.)

I have experience with MANY hospitals (unfortunately) ... Ingalls in Harvey, St. Margaret's (Hammond & Dyer), Palos, St. Mary's, Methodist (both Southlake & North) ... and Munster Community has been an extremely positive experience.

Again, more props to Munster.
I love Community Hospital! I have hospitalized there about 6 times and every experience has been a good one! I know this may sound cheesy, but the second I step in there after not feeling well, the thought that I am in a good hospital instantly makes me feel better!

Old 12-11-2010, 09:32 AM

17,355 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
I love Community Hospital! I have hospitalized there about 6 times and every experience has been a good one! I know this may sound cheesy, but the second I step in there after not feeling well, the thought that I am in a good hospital instantly makes me feel better!
I've just been informed that they're serving lobster tail for dinner.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:16 AM

811 posts, read 2,336,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Just because there may be a few questionable renters does not mean a town is close to turning bad, especially in a town that is probably 95% houses.

For a town to "get bad" a few things have to be happening:

#1- Declining real estate values. NOT happening in Munster (adjusted for possible sight declines due to the economy)

#2 - Declining schools. NOT happening in Munster.

Anyone can cherry pick and say they see signs of a declining town. Until the less desirable residents can afford $300k for an average SFH and 4-5k in taxes per year, they won't be moving to Munster anytime soon.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:46 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
Just because there may be a few questionable renters does not mean a town is close to turning bad, especially in a town that is probably 95% houses.

For a town to "get bad" a few things have to be happening:

#1- Declining real estate values. NOT happening in Munster (adjusted for possible sight declines due to the economy)

#2 - Declining schools. NOT happening in Munster.

Anyone can cherry pick and say they see signs of a declining town. Until the less desirable residents can afford $300k for an average SFH and 4-5k in taxes per year, they won't be moving to Munster anytime soon.
This is accurate. At this point, the demographics of Lake Co. have matured to such an extent that it would take something really big and really bad, like a natural disaster, to truly disrupt the status quo.

The situation in Lake Co. is no different than elsewhere in the country. The people who are more likely to commit violent crimes or even property crimes (which to me are the true indicia of a city going downhill) are going to be on the lower end of the socioeconomic spectrum, and these people have for the most part been priced out of Munster and the other affluent towns in Lake Co. Of course there are exceptions, but I'd wager they are few and far.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:05 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,259 times
Using the property values, schools, etc.litmus test you guys are right but I guess I FEEL less safe. To me, it's a combo of more traffic on Camellia, less owner dwelling condos, not knowing the neighbors and probably just getting older and more paranoid. And I have been a property crime victim 3 times in the last 15 yrs. (Attempted break in garage, Drunk driving into my tree and damaging it, and someone entering garage thru open big door and throwing brick through car window) I live on a corner and also have my share of drunks puking/peeing on my sidewalk in the summer when returning from Centennial Park festivities. So does my house have value, yes? But do I feel less safe? YES!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana