Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2010, 01:50 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,488,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingToMunster View Post
Hello everyone! I just wanted to let everyone know that we are in the process of securing our lot in Park West. We ultimately chose this area of Munster because the price that we will end up paying for the land was more worth it than to locate in Hill & Vale. Also, Park West is gated and I felt that if we were going to pay this much for a lot (since compared to other towns, Munster lots are in low supply and expensive!) we might as well take advantage of the "extra-security" of being in a gated community for the same price as the lot in Hill & Vale. Also, when we toured the Hill & Vale area, it seemed as though most of the residents were either older couples (whose children, if any, I assume have grown and moved out long ago) or those with teenagers about to go to college. Not many younger kids. In the "White Oak area" (as I have been told the area by Park West is called), I consistently saw many children playing who seemed to be around the ages of my children. One of my friends in Munster said that although some families in the White Oak area have had kids grow and leave, there are many younger families that are moving in as well more-so than some of the other areas of Munster. When it comes down to it, this move is really more for the kids than for my wife and I. Their happiness is our happiness. When we played at White Oak Park for a little during our visit, my kids instantly fell in love with it! Park West is directly south of it and since the area as a whole feels more secluded and safe YET still close to the expressway to Chicago, I know this is the right decision for us. I know I may have to deal with the trains, but that is something I am willing to deal with. Thanks to everyone that provided me with advice! I look forward to moving to Munster! Thanks again!
Congrats! You will be even more excited when you finish your home and move here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 10:12 AM

Default For anybody that is interested

This is an article about teardowns and the revival of old neighborhoods in Munster. It is interesting...however, IMO the teardown pictured is a good example of what should NOT be allowed...still a very good sign for the town though!

New homes, some supersized, reviving older neighborhoods

Old 09-27-2010, 04:41 PM

Default Finally!!

THE TOWN HAS FINALLY TAKEN DOWN THE HIDEOUS RUSTED FENCE ALONG CENTENNIAL PARK!!! It looks so nice now! (sorry about the all caps but it really transformed that stretch of Calumet..and they are in the process of fixing that landscaping and planting trees!

Old 09-27-2010, 05:08 PM

811 posts, read 2,336,414 times
was this an effort to bump the "Munster" thread above the "Highland" thread? I see some strange symbolism here.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
was this an effort to bump the "Munster" thread above the "Highland" thread? I see some strange symbolism here.
Actually I wanted to write this earlier but my internet went down. When it came back up, you had already posted.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:33 PM

17,355 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Hey Northwest Indiana ...

Just wanted to give you an attaboy for something I noticed at Munster HS this weekend. (I was there for a Debate Meet.)

As I walked to the lecture room I noticed a whole wing dedicated to photos of the best of the best kids - Valedictorian, Salutorian & other high achievers. Not only the most recent of the last year or two - but going back to the 90's. Not only were the hairstyles & fashions fun to look at but what a great motivational tool for current students.

I was THRILLED to see this! Typically, a school showcases their trophy case (translation = athletics) but I thought this was a brilliant move on the school's part and I'll be making a similar suggestion to the powers that be at Valpo HS.

It's no accident that when a school and community EXPECT excellence, they GET excellence.

WTG Munster.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Hey Northwest Indiana ...

Just wanted to give you an attaboy for something I noticed at Munster HS this weekend. (I was there for a Debate Meet.)

As I walked to the lecture room I noticed a whole wing dedicated to photos of the best of the best kids - Valedictorian, Salutorian & other high achievers. Not only the most recent of the last year or two - but going back to the 90's. Not only were the hairstyles & fashions fun to look at but what a great motivational tool for current students.

I was THRILLED to see this! Typically, a school showcases their trophy case (translation = athletics) but I thought this was a brilliant move on the school's part and I'll be making a similar suggestion to the powers that be at Valpo HS.

It's no accident that when a school and community EXPECT excellence, they GET excellence.

WTG Munster.
That is awesome that you noticed it! When I was a student there, it was one thing that we always took pride in even though we passed by it every day. Sure people would like to be in the athletics showcases as well, but the fact that the academic pictures are in the commons just shows how high of a priority it is for Munster. What is also inspirational for the kids is when they see relatives (or parents) on the wall and make a connection to their successes today!

Old 10-02-2010, 06:54 AM

59 posts, read 140,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
THE TOWN HAS FINALLY TAKEN DOWN THE HIDEOUS RUSTED FENCE ALONG CENTENNIAL PARK!!! It looks so nice now! (sorry about the all caps but it really transformed that stretch of Calumet..and they are in the process of fixing that landscaping and planting trees!
Thats whats going on? I was curious aboout it, I noticed yesterday they were doin some work along there.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:25 PM

Default Update: (this explains the previous update about the fence)

Munster landfill reaching its end

Basically, the landfill has not been accepting garbage since 2004 but was still recognized as a landfill even after it was developed into Centennial Park. Now it will officially be solely a park. Removing the fence was part of the certification process (thank goodness!)

Old 10-11-2010, 08:41 AM

37 posts, read 67,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Munster landfill reaching its end

Basically, the landfill has not been accepting garbage since 2004 but was still recognized as a landfill even after it was developed into Centennial Park. Now it will officially be solely a park. Removing the fence was part of the certification process (thank goodness!)
Was in the area this past weekend. What a HUGE improvement removing a fence and fixing landscaping can do!

I also have a question...does anybody know if they have started building those "Munster Shops" yet? Last I read, they were selling the bonds again and that construction would begin shortly.

(P.S. We FINALLY secured our lot in Park West!!! Very excited to move there by next years end -- maybe a bit sooner!) Thanks to everyone for all of your help! Look forward to finally becoming a Munster resident!)

Last edited by MovingToMunster; 10-11-2010 at 09:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana