Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2015, 05:57 PM

255 posts, read 408,544 times

Advertisements

In the future, I will live in Merrillville. (don't judge, it's my choice) I'd first off probably rent for a good chunk of time, so the question is: What are the best apartments north of US 30 in Merrillville? "Best" in terms of quality, management, safety, and price. I'd be prepared to live south of US 30 in a place like Brickshire, Polo Club, Merrillville Lakes, or Prairie Point, but I was wondering what places are solid north of 30, even if some are older complexes. I've seen that Maple Leaf seems nice and Broadmoor and Chapelle Le Grande are ok. What are your non-biased thoughts? Do not attempt to steer me to other communities, I want Merrillville, and please no racist responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 06:36 PM

2,155 posts, read 5,457,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valpofan11 View Post
In the future, I will live in Merrillville. (don't judge, it's my choice) I'd first off probably rent for a good chunk of time, so the question is: What are the best apartments north of US 30 in Merrillville? "Best" in terms of quality, management, safety, and price. I'd be prepared to live south of US 30 in a place like Brickshire, Polo Club, Merrillville Lakes, or Prairie Point, but I was wondering what places are solid north of 30, even if some are older complexes. I've seen that Maple Leaf seems nice and Broadmoor and Chapelle Le Grande are ok. What are your non-biased thoughts? Do not attempt to steer me to other communities, I want Merrillville, and please no racist responses.
The main apartment complex in Merrillville that has a bad reputation is Hickory Ridge Lake Apartments which is off 57th and Cleveland, so you should probably avoid there. The prices are low there, though. Most other apartments in Merrillville are older and roughly equal in price as the prices really only have significant increases once you get south of 30. Overall, if I were to live in Merrillville and had to choose a large apartment complex, I would probably go with Broadmoor Country Club or Maple Leaf . Broad moor primarily because the location is in a better area of Merrillville overall. Maple Leaf because it is a smaller development and the price is better than Broadmoor. However, you should also look into maybe renting a home. Home rental prices in Merrillville are not necessarily "cheap" but you can get more than you would in some of the nicer apartment complexes such as Brickshire. In fact, when it comes to renting, the complexes south of 30 would be completely out for me. Too much cost for rent in that area when you could buy a home even in Crown Point off 93rd (which is right across the street and same school district) for less money than rent and definitely would cost less to buy in Merrillville north of 30.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:00 PM

255 posts, read 408,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
The main apartment complex in Merrillville that has a bad reputation is Hickory Ridge Lake Apartments which is off 57th and Cleveland, so you should probably avoid there. The prices are low there, though. Most other apartments in Merrillville are older and roughly equal in price as the prices really only have significant increases once you get south of 30. Overall, if I were to live in Merrillville and had to choose a large apartment complex, I would probably go with Broadmoor Country Club or Maple Leaf . Broad moor primarily because the location is in a better area of Merrillville overall. Maple Leaf because it is a smaller development and the price is better than Broadmoor. However, you should also look into maybe renting a home. Home rental prices in Merrillville are not necessarily "cheap" but you can get more than you would in some of the nicer apartment complexes such as Brickshire. In fact, when it comes to renting, the complexes south of 30 would be completely out for me. Too much cost for rent in that area when you could buy a home even in Crown Point off 93rd (which is right across the street and same school district) for less money than rent and definitely would cost less to buy in Merrillville north of 30.
Broadmoor isn't far from the Speedway that gets a good amount of armed robberies and the Whitcomb town homes that look a bit run down. Do you know anything about those properties on Whitcomb including crime? I was thinking Maple Leaf too, and I know that Hickory Ridge Lake is not so hot for several reasons. I didn't really want Crown Point or Hobart that are in Ross Township as those parts of the township are a bit further out. Merrillville has potential IMO, wish they would become a city so that they'd have a mayor who has a vision for the town, especially north Broadway.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:07 AM

2,155 posts, read 5,457,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valpofan11 View Post
Broadmoor isn't far from the Speedway that gets a good amount of armed robberies and the Whitcomb town homes that look a bit run down. Do you know anything about those properties on Whitcomb including crime? I was thinking Maple Leaf too, and I know that Hickory Ridge Lake is not so hot for several reasons. I didn't really want Crown Point or Hobart that are in Ross Township as those parts of the township are a bit further out. Merrillville has potential IMO, wish they would become a city so that they'd have a mayor who has a vision for the town, especially north Broadway.
I am familiar with the location as well as crime issues in the area of 73rd & Whitcomb. However, my comparison was primarily between "west Merrillville" and "north Merrillville" and overall, north Merrillville has more crime issues. Overall, areas with the highest number of rental properties and transient population will have higher crime. However, when you get to the newest apartments south of 30, the rents are at a point (in general) where a higher income is needed to qualify to rent which helps mitigate crime issues.

The area of Crown Point that is in Ross Township is much more developed and connected to Merrillville than the area of Hobart in Ross Township. Hobart feels further removed in that regard as there is more open land separating the areas.

I am not biased one way or another when it comes to Merrillville remaining as a town or becoming a city if the goal is for the leader to have a vision for the town, then I don't think Merrillville needs to become a city for that. They have a town manager whom is able to advocate for the direction of the town and it appears that Merrillville has been diligent in trying to address the northern part of town. A couple years ago, the town also imposed a moratorium on construction of NEW multifamily housing projects, which was smart in my opinion as one of the wards was dominated by multifamily housing which made policing in town more difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana