U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 09:39 AM

10,036 posts, read 7,660,778 times

Advertisements

Gary is among the worst cities in the developed world. Last one out turn out the lights.

And Miller Beach is hardly "nice"; it just isn't quite as horrible as the rest of Gary. You couldn't pay me to live there as you are surrounded by terrible ghetto on all sides and you have no reliable police, schools or city services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 09:55 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,088,325 times
I still can't get over Ivory Lee Spurlock recommending Pizza Kng as good pizza in another thread.

I think most posters are in agreement that Gary and even Miller Beach is a tough place to visit, much more so to live.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:28 AM

196 posts, read 219,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I wonder how safe for white people is the area of Gary that you have to drive thru in order to get to Miller Beach?

If one's vehicle was to break down, would one be safe while waiting in the broke down vehicle for help to arrive? Would a white person be able to walk home to Miller Beach without being harassed, mugged or robbed or having the vehicle stripped of everything valuable while walking home.

I can't help but wonder what life is like for the white people who live in Gary. I've always been curious about that ever since Gary's white population has been hovering around 10%.
Miller is pretty nice IMO, my Valparaiso cross country team ran through there several times when I was in HS from 2012-16. Never had any problems. Miller continues to gain more attention and hopefully will spur further redevelopment in Gary.

Also, Gary's white population is heavily concentrated in 2 parts of town; Miller and Black Oak. Miller never saw the white flight or crime that the rest of the city has undergone. Black Oak, located on the far southwest side, was annexed by Gary in the 1970s, and has always been majority white, probably 75-80% white, 10-15% Hispanic, and maybe 2-5% black. It's also one of if not the poorest neighborhood in Gary. In the other areas of Gary, you'd be hard pressed to find whites that live there. The only other places where you might find some are on the Far West Side near Cline and the Airport, as well as a few old whites in Glen Park that never moved.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:46 AM

624 posts, read 1,548,448 times
So what does this mean for a city of this size to be 85% black? Does this have an effect on the city? Another city that has experienced a similar problem, on a much smaller scale, is Benton Harbor in Michigan. They are roughly 90% black. Going through major issues as well (bankruptcy, blight, crime, etc.)

Is it the white flight of the 20th century that has contributed to this? Corrupt government? Uneducated, unconcerned citizens? Systemic injustices against the black community that date back to slavery?

I'm just curious as to what is going on in these communities? How are they not self-sufficient like many other communities? Why are they continually losing residents?

Old 07-18-2016, 02:31 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,359,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr18 View Post
So what does this mean for a city of this size to be 85% black? Does this have an effect on the city? Another city that has experienced a similar problem, on a much smaller scale, is Benton Harbor in Michigan. They are roughly 90% black. Going through major issues as well (bankruptcy, blight, crime, etc.)

Is it the white flight of the 20th century that has contributed to this? Corrupt government? Uneducated, unconcerned citizens? Systemic injustices against the black community that date back to slavery?

I'm just curious as to what is going on in these communities? How are they not self-sufficient like many other communities? Why are they continually losing residents?
Seems like nearly every city in this country that is at least 70% black is plagued with lots of problems. 75% of black babies born to unwed mothers, pretty much guarantees high poverty and high crime rates.

I think in this day and age, there is no discrimination as far as the government and our nation's laws are concerned. It seems the state and federal govts and the corporations go out of their way to be sure each race is being treated equally and fairly.

I think it all comes down to each individual person's choices and being held accountable for those choices.
If you stop and think about it, life is a series of choices and there are consequences for those choices. Almost every word we speak and every action we take is a choice. A person chooses to commit a crime. The person's race has nothing to do with the decision to commit a crime. It's a choice and there are consequences for that choice.

A person makes good choices, that person will most likely see good results and have a good chance of living a satisfying life. If a person makes alot of bad choices, that person most likely will see results they are not comfortable or happy with and they will have a hard life until they can find the strength to start making better choices in difficult situations.

I dont think a person can blame his or her failures, or the hard conditions of their life on discrimination anymore because it's not about race. It's about choices. It's a new age we are living in. It's not the 50's or 60's or 70's anymore.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 07-18-2016 at 03:06 PM..

Old 07-18-2016, 03:42 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,548,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Gary's population continues to drop. At 80k, it is currently 7th but may not be in the top 10 in the next decade. I believe Carmel and Fishers may have already unofficially passed it up and Bloomington may in the next decade.

Regionally, people compare Gary to East St Louis.

Miller Beach is not on the radar for most people as it is surrounded by blight.
Yes, it is the 3rd biggest city...physically, like midwest stated. We weren't talking about population.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:56 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,548,383 times
Quote:
I wonder how safe for white people is the area of Gary that you have to drive thru in order to get to Miller Beach?

If one's vehicle was to break down, would one be safe while waiting in the broke down vehicle for help to arrive? Would a white person be able to walk home to Miller Beach without being harassed, mugged or robbed or having the vehicle stripped of everything valuable while walking home.

I can't help but wonder what life is like for the white people who live in Gary. I've always been curious about that ever since Gary's white population has been hovering around 10%.
They would probably be fine. When I was an ignorant suburbanite, I had the same thought you had. But then as I became a lot more familiar with the city, I realized that while the crime rate is higher, certain things are still exaggerated.

Now on the flip side, ppl look at Black folks crazy when they ask the same thing about driving through rural areas in Indiana like in Starke County. Would they be safe in areas less than 10% Black?

Also, I will point out that I am seeing a lot more White faces walking around Gary although most of them look to be poor/homeless/drug addicts and I see the same faces every day so they must be going about their lives unharmed by the Black community.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:13 PM

624 posts, read 1,548,448 times
Quote:
Seems like nearly every city in this country that is at least 70% black is plagued with lots of problems. 75% of black babies born to unwed mothers, pretty much guarantees high poverty and high crime rates.

I think in this day and age, there is no discrimination as far as the government and our nation's laws are concerned. It seems the state and federal govts and the corporations go out of their way to be sure each race is being treated equally and fairly.

I think it all comes down to each individual person's choices and being held accountable for those choices.
If you stop and think about it, life is a series of choices and there are consequences for those choices. Almost every word we speak and every action we take is a choice. A person chooses to commit a crime. The person's race has nothing to do with the decision to commit a crime. It's a choice and there are consequences for that choice.

A person makes good choices, that person will most likely see good results and have a good chance of living a satisfying life. If a person makes alot of bad choices, that person most likely will see results they are not comfortable or happy with and they will have a hard life until they can find the strength to start making better choices in difficult situations.

I dont think a person can blame his or her failures, or the hard conditions of their life on discrimination anymore because it's not about race. It's about choices. It's a new age we are living in. It's not the 50's or 60's or 70's anymore.
I agree with you 100%. The only thing I can agree with on both sides, is the struggle to be born into a crime-ridden, poverty-stricken area such as Gary. It's kind of like the old saying, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. As one's mind develops, especially a young mind, it is can be detrimentally affected by this. When you are young, you don't know anything different than what your surrounded with. The poor choices of their parents, grandparents, brothers/sisters, etc. are limiting their ability to make good choices. But yes, it does come down to choices.

It's just a such a complex scenario when broken down. At the end of the day, it simply comes down to choices. You have to overcome the peer pressure and adversity, which unfortunately, is a lot harder to do if you grow up in the inner city.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:25 PM

3,008 posts, read 4,417,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valpofan11 View Post
Miller is pretty nice IMO, my Valparaiso cross country team ran through there several times when I was in HS from 2012-16. Never had any problems. Miller continues to gain more attention and hopefully will spur further redevelopment in Gary.

Also, Gary's white population is heavily concentrated in 2 parts of town; Miller and Black Oak. Miller never saw the white flight or crime that the rest of the city has undergone. Black Oak, located on the far southwest side, was annexed by Gary in the 1970s, and has always been majority white, probably 75-80% white, 10-15% Hispanic, and maybe 2-5% black. It's also one of if not the poorest neighborhood in Gary. In the other areas of Gary, you'd be hard pressed to find whites that live there. The only other places where you might find some are on the Far West Side near Cline and the Airport, as well as a few old whites in Glen Park that never moved.
Majority of whites live in Black Oak and majority white (87% and surprisingly the crappiest part of the city). Glen Park still has about 200 more white people living there than Miller has living in 46403.

Quote:

Actually, the residents would probably stop and help that person if their car broke down. Not the first time it has happened and won't be the last. That's the stereotypical mindset whites tend to have. More than 1 black person and they are as good as shot. You want to know how white folk live in Gary, just like the black ones. They have friends, neighbors they talk to, kids associate with each other and they go about their lives. I've said a many a times, a white person is safer walking in Gary at night than a black person is walking in the sticks of southern lake county at night.

Quote:

Laws on paper might be colorblind, those enforcing those laws are not. Sentencing between white and those black and brown are far from fair or even just. A lot of whites get mad when you say white privilege but there's a lot of truth in that. How can the bloomington guy who raped spend 1 night in jail or the Cali guy get 6 mos for rape and feel he got shortchanged somehow. All while a black or hispanic boy steals a taffy out the candy store and given 10 years. American justice has never been blind.

As far as every city over 70% black having issues. It's part systemic, part politics and part regional. Just taking Gary, white flight was a you know what. Massive blockbusting in Glen Park and the West side. Whites selling on the cheap which devalue's a neighborhood, some burning their businesses for the insurance money and leaving and leaving a burnt out shell of a building. That's systemic especially in the rustbelt. It's different city, same story.

Again with Gary, the City could have actually survived its white flight from '70-'80. Lost just over 25k people for the most part at that point. What killed the city is the demise of the steel mills. No one saw it coming or if they did, never bothered to diversify the city's economy from being a one trick pony. That's the mass exodus of everybody. White, black, brown, didn't matter. Don't get me wrong, Gary is a tough city, always has been but now you have instant onset poverty in an already crooked city.

Lastly, black folk will never not vote democrat. One thing the machine is good at is taking taxpayer dollars and lining their pockets and that is Gary through and through. You have a city council making 35k a year for part-time work. A mayors salary of 84k, not really bad, it's the 55k double dipping for heading GSD. Yeah, the state stripped kfw of that title but the city has still been paying her that salary. How many millions did Hatcher receive for the Civil Right Museum? And where is it and why hasn't anyone truly looked into it. Scott King resigns before the feds get him. Feds probably on kfw tail as I type cause she is straight crooked and has been since she ran guea.

Year after year, it's program after program that will require some type of subsidized housing component when what the city needs is true market rate apartments. I think a lot of citizens with the means would more than likely move into a true market rate area than have to be in a high subsidized area.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:03 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,439,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Gary is among the worst cities in the developed world. Last one out turn out the lights.

And Miller Beach is hardly "nice"; it just isn't quite as horrible as the rest of Gary. You couldn't pay me to live there as you are surrounded by terrible ghetto on all sides and you have no reliable police, schools or city services.
Miller Beach is actually surrounded on three sides by a national park and the fourth side is a six mile beach, Lake Michigan and one of the most beautiful views of one of the world's greatest skylines...haters gonna hate. Have you actually been to Miller Beach? Hiked the Dunes/beach, the gorgeous lagoons of Marquette Park, the Pavilion, the aquatorium?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or