U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2017, 08:01 AM

13 posts, read 8,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra86 View Post
While I would very much agree this year it'll be harder to enjoy with all the construction going on with 80/94, the toll road, and 65. It is pretty well open as well from east of downtown Gary until Michigan City making it a great alternative to the before mentioned interstates. Also, there is a section that has seen many fatal/serious accidents, so please be careful down this stretch.
Just to clarify. . . what stretch is that I'm being careful of? The one where serious accidents are known to occur? Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 11:13 AM

2,182 posts, read 2,646,281 times
I believe the dangerous stretch of roadway is US 20 between Michigan City and Chesterton. It's a four-lane road and has some dody left turns/crossings, US 12 is very safe.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:00 PM

Thought I'd update . . . in the order of the visits . . .

Miller (Beach) - Not sure how to explain it - it felt fragile here. Driving into the next town (Lake Station?) felt markedly different and a bit more 'stable'. I could be biased because I didn't care for all the hills in Miller.

If that strip down by the brewery livened up a bit and a 'town center' area was created (in the vicinity of the McDonald's), I'd feel differently. This was a bummer, because I REALLY wanted this town to work for us. No good high schools in the area tipped it towards a no - for now. It will be interesting to see if the South Shore developments change this area in terms of residents and median income (no implications made here about income and people).

Valparaiso - Very nice. The area seemed moderately metropolitan, bustling, very groomed, orderly. Nothing negative to say. It's very homogeneous.

Chesterton - Idyllic small town. Very nice historic downtown area. There was some sort of festival going on (?). People milling about - looks like a nice community. It was not as metropolitan as Valpo. It is very homogeneous.

Michigan City - Not as bad as I suspected. The park/beach/marina area was nice. Lots of people out and about. We were also surprised at all the shopping options in the Franklin Street area. We didn't drive the residential areas much, but it seemed very hit or miss - some nice areas and those that are not. Some diversity, but . . . poverty seems to be an issue. Not sure about middle-class diversity.

But, what do I know? It was only a day's worth of looking around . . .

Old 05-30-2017, 03:33 PM

7,497 posts, read 9,326,068 times
Thanks for updating.

FYI--Miller Beach is not a town. It's a neighborhood in Gary. Miller Beach has become more popular with Chicago residents looking for weekend places. It's not quite equivalent to some place like Long Beach, but it has grown in the past few years.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:01 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,790,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valpofan11 View Post
Also, diversity doesn't mean anything unless the people who are diverse are also decent.
Who are "the people who are diverse"??? Wouldn't that be...everybody???

Old 06-02-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Thanks for updating.

FYI--Miller Beach is not a town. It's a neighborhood in Gary. Miller Beach has become more popular with Chicago residents looking for weekend places. It's not quite equivalent to some place like Long Beach, but it has grown in the past few years.
Well, that certainly explains why it didn't feel like a town, then. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:34 PM

2,887 posts, read 6,024,351 times
Have you considered LaPorte? It's close to Michigan City, and you could probably find employment in South Bend.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Have you considered LaPorte? It's close to Michigan City, and you could probably find employment in South Bend.
No, I didn't really consider LaPorte.. But, I did wonder in passing why I hadn't considered it. I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Who are "the people who are diverse"??? Wouldn't that be...everybody???
I suppose it depends on how one defines diversity. In this case, I meant skin color/ethnicity/'race'. I personally think people are bound by shared experiences or perceptions more than skin color ... I can find common ground with almost anyone as long as they are decent ...which takes us back to that original comment.

I agree that living amongst 'diversity', sans decency, is no good. And, ruling a community out based on a lack of diversity is sort of reverse discrimination in theory -sorry. But, practically speaking, it can matter for a person that looks like me, although I wish it didn't. And, yep, I know that sort of stuff can be said for many heterogeneous areas of all types...which is why I enjoy a bit of diversity in general no matter which way it slants

Anyway, this thread has been interesting and helpful...and hopefully can be beneficial to others also looking. Go NWI!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana